English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Clo

Wish, wish...

Post by *Clo »

2Black Dog
Hi!
• Thanks for the answers.
.....i.e.: for a button and a file-type…
What for?
• Just a filling (maybe wrong) that using the same icon twice could cause a mess somewhere...
...the thing I really want in this case is the internal command to reread icon cache.
• Not a huge job, I guess ? Besides, it's just a plaster. The real cause(s) of the failure should be interesting to know.
:mrgreen:  Regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 15-03-2004 00:59:43 +0000 Clo wrote:

C> Just a filling (maybe wrong) that using the same icon twice
C> could cause a mess somewhere...

Well, ICO file is not a condom - I can't see any problem in using the same icon more than once and even with different file types associated...

C> Not a huge job, I guess ?

Only one person can tell.

C> Besides, it's just a plaster. The real cause(s) of the
C> failure should be interesting to know.

One more time: "all I wanted to hear is his confirmation of this problem existence instead of "sounds like a corrupted shelliconcache, try to fix it with tweakui" %). There are other uncaught bugs in Commander, this one is not the worst - the thing I really want in this case is the internal command to reread icon cache".[/face]
Leif

Post by *Leif »

Black Dog wrote:[face=courier]
Well, ICO file is not a condom[/face]
ROTFL
zeflash

Post by *zeflash »

Seems to me the whole icon management needs to be rethought.
Is there a way to have logging in TC ? In the projects I'm working on, we have tons of logs everywhere, at different levels, in order to track down bugs happening on some client computers.

And another thought: it seems the main problem on all the issues TC is having (or feature requests) is that there is AFAIK only one developer. One man can only do one man's job. this leads to frustration from all the people that do not see what they asked for acknowledged.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2zeflash
Seems to me the whole icon management needs to be rethought.
Is there a way to have logging in TC ? In the projects I'm working on, we have tons of logs everywhere, at different levels, in order to track down bugs happening on some client computers.
Well, your are a customer. Debugging versions are usually not thought for customers.
And another thought: it seems the main problem on all the issues TC is having (or feature requests) is that there is AFAIK only one developer. One man can only do one man's job. this leads to frustration from all the people that do not see what they asked for acknowledged.
Maybe there a some talented and experienced developers who want to be co-authors of Total Commander. Anyway, it's Mr. Ghisler decision to hire additionell developers or not.
zeflash

Post by *zeflash »

Well, your are a customer. Debugging versions are usually not thought for customers.
Why couldn't you make a "customer" version of TC with log included? that's common practice.
I'm not talking of debugging the application, I'm saying it's possible to implement a log in such a way you just have to specify somewhere (the registry for example) the log level you want to output to a file.

Asks the customer who has a problem to set that, and reproduce its problem. Then have him send the log to the developer(s) - that speeds up greatly the whole troubleshooting process.
ice-nine

Easy fix: TweakTC v5.6

Post by *ice-nine »

This program allows you to edit various hidden settings in TC's wincmd.ini. One of these hidden settings loads icons in a separate process thread. Thus it reloads all of the CORRECT icons on TC start.

http://databack4u.com/snc/download/tweaktc56.zip

If I'm not mistaken, the only system requirments are that you have a 32bit Windows OS, and TC v6.0 or higher.
Last edited by ice-nine on 2004-07-18, 06:03 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
romulous

Post by *romulous »

That program wouldn't solve the problem. Most of the time, it's after you've started TC that the icons problem starts. Shutting down TC & then restarting usually fixes the problem - for a short while anyway. You would have to do the same thing if you had the other program installed, so you achieve nothing by having it.
ice-nine

Not true

Post by *ice-nine »

romulous,

I use TweakTC v5.6, and I am under the impression that you have not.

I suggest that you give your opinion of the program AFTER you have used it.

The following two quote excerpts from previous posts contradict each other.
(Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:20 am) ...The "Files-Associate With" workaround is what I've been using, but it quickly gets annoying doing this everytime you open TC (filetype icons disappear everytime TC opens on my PC)...
(Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:47 pm) ...Shutting down TC & then restarting usually fixes the problem - for a short while anyway...
romulous

Post by *romulous »

And I'm guessing you don't have the icon problem? From your post:
"Thus it reloads all of the CORRECT icons on TC start" - so, you said that it reloads the icons on TC start, which is what I based my statement on. If I'm wrong, then you are also wrong.
ice-nine

Give it a try

Post by *ice-nine »

Just do us both a favor and give TweakTC v5.6 a try, it's free and it works.

I have had my system running for about three days now and I am having no icon problems.

When I said
...Thus it reloads all of the CORRECT icons on TC start...
I meant after you use the feature in TweakTC v5.6. I thought that was clear, sorry.
romulous

Post by *romulous »

That's ok ice-nine. I will give the program a try, it can't hurt.
ice-nine

Post by *ice-nine »

No I do not think the program will hurt. It is just a GUI ini editor for TC's hidden settings. You will be pleased I'm sure, and if you aren't please let me know. We will talk more.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

1. IconsInThread=1/0 has no effect on the problem.
2. You don't need TweakTC to tweak TC. ;)

It's ghisler's turn to give us some tools to play with and to solve the problem, icon cache reload function, something like that... He doesn't show any interest to do so that's why ReloadTC is the best friend for all people suffering from that problem till ghisler changes his opinion.

My last posting in the german thread is still unanswered so I think he has given up on that problem 'cause it's not reproducable.

Icfu
This account is for sale
ice-nine

Post by *ice-nine »

icfu,

I am aware that you do not need TweakTC to tweak TC.
(Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:55 am by ice-nine)...It is just a GUI ini editor for TC's hidden settings...
Have you used the program?
If you have not, your criticism is unfounded and meaningless to me.
If you have, I appreciate your feedback.

Regardless, please let me know whether you have or have not used TweakTC v5.6.

P.S.

I like the Douglas Adams reference in your signature :D
Last edited by ice-nine on 2004-07-18, 17:04 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The world owes you nothing but a grave.