Eliminating duplicates, II - finding the dirs

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

sybariten

Eliminating duplicates, II - finding the dirs

Post by *sybariten »

This question doesnt really have anything to do with my earlier one, under a similar subject. Then again it does, but i think this question should be seen independently...

Here's something i do very often:
- Select one or several dirs
- Do a search, use advanced search to look for identical files. I generally compare only on filename and size, as the content option tends to slow things down.
- Now, i get a nice and long list of locations where there are duplicate files. The paths are actually clickable, but then i only get to one of the two places where these two identical files exist. And after clicking, the list is "spent" and i would need to do a new search in order to get a new one, for the other pane.
- Instead, I open up a second Total Commander, where in one of the panes i go to the place of the first file
- Typically i have to go back to the first TC here, as i cant remember two paths. I check out the second path
- Open up the second total commander, and in the other pane go to the path of the second file.

Now i have two panes ready to compare and see what files exist in both places and how i could merge the two directories together to form one that is equal or bigger in size.
The question is: does anyone have a tip on how to do this in a more effective way? I'm specifically thinking of a way of getting to the two paths, from the search function. I more or less realize that there is no automatic way to do this, especially since there arent just two paths we are talking about, but paths for all duplicates. So the list could be very long, and your average macro machinge wouldnt know how to deal with that i guess....

well, i hope someone understood.... (its late here)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

The question is: does anyone have a tip on how to do this in a more effective way?
Hmm, Tabs come to mind, Ctrl-Left or Ctrl-Right on a file, or Ctrl-Shift-Up and Ctrl-Up, perhaps?

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
sybariten

Post by *sybariten »

Hacker wrote:
The question is: does anyone have a tip on how to do this in a more effective way?
Hmm, Tabs come to mind, Ctrl-Left or Ctrl-Right on a file, or Ctrl-Shift-Up and Ctrl-Up, perhaps?

HTH
Roman
Hm. I have to admit i dont understand much of this... but i can feel that its a whole new world opening. ;)

Edit:
OK.... so i'm learning about tabs now. I guess they are like alternate "windows", that you can switch between. But what exactly does the Ctrl-Left or Ctrl-Right do? I've been searching on the forum but couldnt find any straight info
Edit2:
OK.... :) let me guess - ctrl right if standing in the left pane, sends the path under the cursor to the right pane. ctrl left, if standing in the right pane, does source=dest .... correct?
About your suggestions: they presume that one has done a "send to listbox" first , right ?

peace
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

Right. :)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

sybariten,
Quoting Bender, "Learning is fun!" (season 2, episode 11, "Lesser Of Two Evils", http://www.gotfuturama.com/cgi-bin/imageview.cgi?/Multimedia/FrameGrabs/2ACV06/Grabs/pic00081.jpg )
ctrl right if standing in the left pane, sends the path under the cursor to the right pane. ctrl left, if standing in the right pane, does source=dest .... correct?
Almost exactly. Ctrl-Left/Right also opens archives or dirs under cursor in target panel.

Roman
sybariten

Post by *sybariten »

Hacker wrote:sybariten,
Quoting Bender, "Learning is fun!"
OK yeah well i got a grip of your suggestions now, i think you just effectivized my file-juggling with about 75 % :wink: ... so... thanks a lot man!!!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

:) You're welcome.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.