the time has come?

Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Kowalski

the time has come?

Post by *Kowalski »

i use total commander pocket heavly on my 2215,
and total commander on my desktop.
it has been so much time since the last minor upgrade.
yes the program is functional but i want to see some improvements
doenst the time came to make it christian?
A totally Total Commander addict since 1998
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

What exactly do you miss?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm currently working on some new functions for the pocket version, so if you miss anything, please post it here!
Gerry Busch

Possible improvements

Post by *Gerry Busch »

The following are the only improvements I can think of right now. I made the suggestions earlier, but I'm restating them in this thread for your reference:
  • 1) It would be nice if the filename appeared in the file deletion dialogue box to prevent the user from deleting the wrong file, as the box often covers the file in question.
  • 2) Currently, the only files TC Pocket can hide from the user are those stored in ROM. Otherwise I can see every file, including those with the hidden attribute. The program should offer the option of not displaying hidden files. The option could be toggled, of course.
  • 3) I often apply the read-only attribute to files I don't want to delete accidentally. Total Commander/CE seems to ignore the attribute. TC shouldn't allow me to delete them until I've removed the attribute, or at least a warning should be issued when I attempt to delete them.
Gerry
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good ideas, thanks!
AJBR

Additional feature suggestion

Post by *AJBR »

Excellent program

If a new release is being prepared, I have a suggestion.

Quite often, I use File ¦ Find files to find a file whose name I have forgotten. I sometimes only remember part of the name. When I get the results, I see the complete path to the files. Unfortunately, that can be 3 or 4 levels deep and of course takes up a lot of the screen. At least until I have decided which file I am wanting to find (based on reading the full name, extension, date, etc.) would it be possible only to output the file name, without the path. Naturally it would be nice to toggle this when I know which file is the actual one I am looking for. Perhaps 'tap and hold' when used on the 'Name/Ext' Heading could be used to toggle the display.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Interesting idea - this would be nice for the normal Windows version too. The only reason why I haven't added it is because I have no idea how to integrate this in the user interface without taking more precious screen space...
Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Juergen »

First of all, thanks for this great program! It is one of the most used programs on my iPAQ -- as the "big" Total Commander is on my Desktop PC.

I have observed a little glitch (Total Commander/CE 1.21, running under Windows for Pocket PC 2003):
After copying/moving a file, there is a white unusable area left on the screen, covering almost its lower third. I can remove that area by toggling the [A|B] button.

I also have a little wish for the next version: It would be helpful for me, when the "Finf files" function would not only look for files with the given name/pattern, but also for directories (like the "big" TC does).

Keep up the good work!

Regards,
Juergen
My add-ons and plugins for TC: NiftyLink, mbox, Sequences
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have observed a little glitch (Total Commander/CE 1.21, running under Windows for Pocket PC 2003):
After copying/moving a file, there is a white unusable area left on the screen, covering almost its lower third. I can remove that area by toggling the [A|B] button.
This seems to be caused by the hidden input panel. I'm working on a solution.
I also have a little wish for the next version: It would be helpful for me, when the "Finf files" function would not only look for files with the given name/pattern, but also for directories (like the "big" TC does).
The problem is that the file functions cannot currently handle found directories (e.g. for copying etc).
Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Juergen »

Thanks for the info. There also is a little issue regarding "Rename", that I forgot to mention the other day:
Selecting a file, holding down the stylus, and choosing "Rename" from the *context* menu works fine. But when I select a file, and choose "File" > "Rename" from the *main* menu, nothing happens.

Regards, Juergen
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Odd, it works fine with my device. Another bug of PocketPC 2003... :(
Gerry Busch

Rename command

Post by *Gerry Busch »

I've noticed the renaming bug, too, but only with single files (PocketPC 2002, StrongArm processor). Issuing the "Rename" command from the file menu does nothing if only one file is selected. If I've selected several files, however, I get the same dialogue that I would get from the "move/copy" button down on the button bar.

BTW, that button is a nice feature; I use it often to change the file extensions on a batch of files, and even to rename individual files.

Gerry
Gerry Busch

Re: Rename command

Post by *Gerry Busch »

Oops! I just discovered that the "rename" feature in the file menu works exactly as it is supposed to, even for single files, unless "single click start" has been selected in the Show menu's "About" dialogue.

Gerry
Earlier today I wrote: I've noticed the renaming bug, too, but only with single files (PocketPC 2002, StrongArm processor). Issuing the "Rename" command from the file menu does nothing if only one file is selected. If I've selected several files, however, I get the same dialogue that I would get from the "move/copy" button down on the button bar.
Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Juergen »

Sorry for not having investigated it that precisely before. It's exactly the same for me: The glitch mentioned above only happens, when the "single click start" modus is active AND only one file is selected.

Regards, Juergen
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

You are right, thanks for finding out! I will correct it in the next version (which will come soon).