Sync dirs: shows hidden files

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Sync dirs: shows hidden files

Post by *SanskritFritz »

The "Show hidden files" option in my TC is off. Nevertheless Sync Dirs shows hidden files as well. What is the reason for this? Can it be changed?
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Re: Sync dirs: shows hidden files

Post by *pdavit »

SanskritFritz wrote:What is the reason for this?
Well, you wouldn't be able to sync two locations if you couldn't include hidden files also. The two individual locations won't be equal so it could be like a false sync.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Garyu

Post by *Garyu »

Then perhaps it would be good to have a separate "Don't synchronize hidden files/folders" option in the Synchronize window. For me, the reason is obvious: the folder \RECYCLERS\ is hidden, and pointless to synchronize.. I think more people agree.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

True but what about those cases where you end up having the "duplicated" sync location full of errors due to missing hidden files? Yes, the \RECYCLER folder may not concern many users but hidden files can exist almost everywhere.

Here is another suggestion, if you consider it better: Instead of having a "Don't synchronize hidden files/folders" option to have one that reads something like: "Don't display hidden files but include them in the sync process".

In this way the users' work is more productive and meaningful yet any errors due to missing hidden files are eliminated.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-11, 08:05 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

The only necessary feature is support of "predefined selections" in synchronize dirs too. That would fit all (?) needs
Yes I agree. I deliberately want false sync, as I dont want to synchronise the desktop.ini, and other useless files like that.
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-11, 08:05 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

You can do it today. File mask of sync dirs support also exclusion of files and dirs
AFAIK there is no way to exclude hidden files.