a simple problems-Duplicate select problems

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

which

a simple problems-Duplicate select problems

Post by *which »

Anyone could tell me how to select duplicates files? when I search for duplicates, I would like to leave only one copy of them and delete all others. How can I select duplicates? Do I have to do them item by item?
Clo

No feature---

Post by *Clo »

2which
:) Hello !
• Unfortunately - except I mistake - there is none feature to select automatically the multiple copies of the found files in the result-list of "Search"…
• Each group of files (the same, following the search criteria), is separated from the next one by a dotted line, no more... Moreover, these dotted lines are not copied when you select all the list, and paste it in an editor to make a text file with.
* You have to select by hand the files in excess to delete, i.e. pressing Ctrl (keep pressed) then clicking on each file of the group...
* Sure, it's very boring whether you have a big amount of files to delete!
• It should be nice to get the result in both pannels, with the originals of each file having doubles in a pannel, and the corresponding doubles (or more) in the other pannel, with the needed shift to get all sorted in front ones others.
* The originals (to keep) could be chosen following a criterion, like the date or the drive-location, for instance.
* A wish for the Author's list...
EDIT :
Using Uniview ( http://www.andrek.wz.cz/ ), you could get more criteria of search, like search by attributes, and a threshold of size difference... It's also a pic-browser Freeware (not Shareware, there is an error on the TC-site).

:mrgreen:   Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on 2004-04-16, 19:45 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

2 Which

What you are asking is not currently supported and a previous wish has already been made (try the search feature of the forum for more details).

What's putting the suggested feature back is the logical problem of which entries to keep and which to delete in an automated procedure. Implementing the feature can be very unsafe yet time-saving. If just a warning message is enough for users then Christian might reconsider.

Why don't you start a poll on this issue?

Regards,
Panos
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

The task is way too complicated for ghisler, the panels aren't suited for such tasks anyway:

http://www.bigbangenterprises.de/en/doublekiller/
http://www.clonespy.de/english/
http://www.midnightblue.com/dupelocater.htm

Icfu
Last edited by icfu on 2004-04-16, 19:43 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
which

Post by *which »

Thanks a lot for your reply. It's a pity TC does not support it. In fact I find another software called EF duplicate files manager can do this (They also have similar explore software, but not as good as TC). I hope next version can have this feature.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

EF duplicate files manager is shareware, all three apps above are free. Well, your choice. ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
Clo

Good addresses---

Post by *Clo »

2icfu
:) Hi Jeff !
• The good addresses come often from icfu's ! :wink:
* Thanks !

:mrgreen: Friendly,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

And Icfu gets the good addresses from http://tinyapps.org, excellent blog there, too. :)

Not to forget http://shellcity.net/ of course. ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
which

Post by *which »

hi Icfu, I tried all these programs. dupelocater is too simple, can not use filters; clonespy is a little bit better. But instead of producing a result list, it ask you one by one. So if I have a very long list, it is really waste time. doublekiller is the best one of them. But a pity, it can not export result list.

The reason why I would like TC to have this feature is that when I search the file with same name, I can then compare them easily and decide if I delete it or not. EF should be perfect, unfortunately it is not free.
which

Post by *which »

I forget one thing, I can not use sorting in EF, it does not work. pity
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I ordered them from "best to worst". :)

Of course double killer can export the list:
Right click an entry... ;)

But, CloneSpy can, too! All you have to do is check "export a list...", result list is automatically created in apps folder. Maybe a misunderstanding?

Icfu
which

Post by *which »

yes I just notice double killer can do it. As to clonespy, it can export list, but can not show all of them on the edit screen as the same time. :roll:
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

As to clonespy, it can export list, but can not show all of them on the edit screen as the same time.
File-Options-Report-Wait until...-display all equal files together...

You should check the apps some longer I think. ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
which

Post by *which »

thanks again.