Keep Corrupted File

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Genghis86

Keep Corrupted File

Post by *Genghis86 »

If I am copying a file from a corrupted CD-ROM to hard-drive, and, say, the last few megabytes of the file are corrupted (unreadable from CD), how is it possible to make Total Commander keep whatever was copied successfully, as opposed to deleting the file completely?
Clo

ZIP only

Post by *Clo »

2Genghis86
Hi !
• You can keep a damaged ZIP archive only. This must be set in the Options >> ZIP Packer
• Whether the CD contains a single file non-ZIP, you can't.
• With a CD containing several files / dirs., the good files / dirs. are kept, of course…

:mrgreen:  K R
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Genghis86

Post by *Genghis86 »

Okay, I am using BadCopy now
Genghis86

Post by *Genghis86 »

So, can Total Commander implement such option? Keeping corrupted file on copy? And perhaps resume copy too (append)
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

I also from time to time need this.
steve_3199

Post by *steve_3199 »

I could use this function as well, but my way around it is when Total Commander comes up with an error about the file, I move/copy the file then press OK on the error box, this way i get to the file before it's deleted, and i often work with .tar.gz and .tar.bz2 files, and there not .zip
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

when Total Commander comes up with an error about the file, I move/copy the file then press OK on the error box, this way i get to the file before it's deleted,
Nice! Thanks for the idea! My question is, what stays in the Windows cache and in the TC buffer? Can I minimise the loss this way somehow? CopyHugeBlockSize bypasses the windows cache, but the minimum is 10M, otherwise the Windows cache is filled first. Is there a windows command to flush the cache?
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
steve_3199

Post by *steve_3199 »

Total Commander uses your system temporary directory eg. C:\windows\temp

Windows uses your temporary internet folder, eg. c:\windows\temporary internet files

it may be different on a windows XP system, thats for windows 98 without user profiles

Total Commander will automaticaly delete its temporary files, unless it tells you otherwise in a message box

Windows will store your temporary files untill forcefully deleted, dont delete through explorer though, delete the files through Total Commander or MS-DOS, windows explorer will just hide the files because of special folder viewing settings, if u can delete folder.htt in it you can usualy go through the folder in windows explorer

and keep your internet cache down too in internet explorer setting (even if your not using the internet), windows tends to keep executables and other stuff in there, and pressing delete temporary internet files wont delete them either

i hope this helps
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2steve_3199
Hmm. Are we in the same thread? I think you misunderstood something. I am talking about the windows system cache, for reading and writing files, which is strictly in memory, just as the buffer used by TC when copying files. So when TC copies a file, windows first fills its cache (in the physical memory), passes data to TC, which fills its buffer (in the physical memory), and then when the buffer is full, it writes the data to the disk. Eve here windows may use caching, so it fills the write cache (in the physical memory) before physically writing onto the disk. Now if a corrupted file is read, and windows stops at the error, many data is not yet written physically onto the disk, which I cannot access. That was my question about.
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!