Multiple file extensions

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

krojc

Multiple file extensions

Post by *krojc »

I rarely search, but always sort files. I wonder how much work would it take to implement "multiple file extensions". I can sort documents by filetype since it is always delimited with period. Could it be possible to implement also "contents type" like:

We have many .doc files, but only few are interviews and i name them someinterview.int.doc or if it's letter then someletter.ltr.doc

If program can find last period "." than it probably could also find second last period and I could sort all documents by two periods.

I appologize for not being totally understandable. I never was... :)
Last edited by krojc on 2011-02-15, 23:05 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Multiple file extensions

Post by *Sheepdog »

krojc wrote:I wonder how much work would it take to implement "multiple file extensions". I can sort documents by filetype since it is always delimited with period. Could it be possible to implement also "contents type" like:
Sounds like not to much work. But how many extensions shoeld be supportet? somebusinessletter.bus.let.doc someveryimportantbusinesletter.ver.imp.bus.let.doc
But anyway - it would be a nice feature.
I appologize for not being totally understandable. I never was... :)
Maybe you are a woman??? :P :wink: They're never totally understandable for me.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Why don't you follow a deferent naming scheme? For example, instead of someinterview.int.doc use int_someinterview.doc and for someletter.ltr.doc use ltr_someletter.doc.

In this way you'll get the shorting automatically. And with a powerful tool as multi-rename is, the renaming process won't be that hard even if you have tones of document files.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
krojc

Post by *krojc »

A woman??? This one is good. I'm not a woman, but still frequently misunderstood! :)

I sort filenames "Smith - someinterview.int.doc"

The reason is that I primerily have to assign files to a person, since there are a lot of files that are linked to one name and I have to have a good overview of all the submitted files. If I could have multiple extensions (I guess that 2 extensions would be enough for me, but I think I could find use for max 3 extensions), I could also color code it and assign first extension *.doc to text color and second *.int.??? to background color.

Naming files int_something.???.??? I can not sort by person.

Good think I find about this is that I also get very long filenames and most of them get "cut". Doing it multi - extensions stick. I posted once this trauma:

http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=3024&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

but I guess you guys all use short filenames.
Clo

No BKG colour---

Post by *Clo »

2krojc
I could also color code it and assign first extension *.doc to text color and second *.int.??? to background color.
:)  Hello !
• Currently, there is none background-colour implemented for each file-type colour. This has been required, I think, but not accepted by the Author (if I well remember…). This should be useful for users who set a very dark colour in the pannels as background…

:mrgreen:   Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
krojc

Post by *krojc »

2Clo

Then...
I guess color coding should be separated to extensions and file name :) which is even better than fore- background color combination!