Ann: pdfview lister plugin released!

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JP

Post by *JP »

What does the value "4" mean here? Are there other better value to be used in this case?
fnheiden

Post by *fnheiden »

The Ghostscript documentaion says:
These options control the use of subsample antialiasing. Their use is highly recommended for producing high quality rasterizations. The subsampling box size n should be 4 for optimum output, but smaller values can be used for faster rendering.

So you should get best results when using a subsampling box of size 4.

~ Florian
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

the display quality is much better now! :P
Cogitor

Post by *Cogitor »

I found a quick way to enhance the quality of the pdf output to screen.
Just edit the lsplugin.ini file to change the resolution value from 144 to 100. This way, the pdf text will fit better in the lister window without need of pressing ctrl+enter. You might have to modify the resolution setting to match your preferred lister window width.
My congratulations to the author of this really useful plugin!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

fnheiden,
It would be nice if you could enhance the documentation concerning these quality related things - for instance there is nowhere what changing the DPI setting does concerning quality (eg is more better?).

TIA
Roman
fnheiden

Post by *fnheiden »

Hacker
Okay, next version will have a tips-and-tricks section in the readme.

Regards,
~ Florian
fnheiden

Post by *fnheiden »

Hacker, Cogitor
BTW: changing the resolution from 144dpi to 100dpi does not make better output.
But scaling a bitmap with very much written text and which doesn't fit in the listers window to the appropriate size, will result in a lower quality viewing experience than displaying the pdf at 100dpi without scaling.

BTW2: You can change the sessions output-resultion by pressing the 'G'-key.

Regards,
~ Florian
oblomov

Post by *oblomov »

fnheiden wrote: Okay, next version will have a tips-and-tricks section in the readme.
Could you please also add better filetype detection? For example, instead of relying on the extension, you could rely on the first couple of bytes in the file; I did change the filetype detection to

1_detect="ext="PDF" | ext="PS" | ext="EPS" | FIND("%!PS") | FIND("%PDF-")"

and it would work perfectly ... except that the plugin refuses to load files with an "inappropriate" extension :) (Why is this needed? For example MetaPost outputs EPS files, but they have a .<number> extension ...)

Thank you very much.
fnheiden

Post by *fnheiden »

I've just released pdfview.wlx v.1.02!

Changes (since v.1.01):

Code: Select all

[2003-06-20]  NEW: detection of pdf- and ps-files with uncommon extensions.
You can download it from
http://www.mp3tag.de/tc.html

or via direct link from
http://www.mp3tag.de/download/tc/wlx_pdfview_102.zip

With best regards,
~ Florian
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

how to open password protected pdf-files?
fnheiden

Post by *fnheiden »

Lefteous,

you can use the keyword -sPDFPassword=yoursecretpassword in the command string (AFPL Ghostscript 8.00).

With best regards,
~ Florian
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

fnheiden wrote:Lefteous,

you can use the keyword -sPDFPassword=yoursecretpassword in the command string (AFPL Ghostscript 8.00).

With best regards,
~ Florian
doesn't work for me. Could you please give an example?
fnheiden

Post by *fnheiden »

Lefteous,

there is a section called [pdfview] in the file lsplugin.ini. In this scection you will find a key called command.

My configuration of this key looks like:

command=-dSAFER -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=bmp256 -r%3 -dTextAlphaBits=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 -sOutputFile=%2 -dFirstPage=%4 -dLastPage=%4 "%1"
To view password protected pdf files, you have to add the keyword -sPDFPassword=yourpassword to this command string. It will look like

command=-dSAFER -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sPDFPassword=test -sDEVICE=bmp256 -r%3 -dTextAlphaBits=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 -sOutputFile=%2 -dFirstPage=%4 -dLastPage=%4 "%1"
Hope this helps!

~ Florian
oblomov

Post by *oblomov »

The author is going to kill me for this, but I'm going to ask it anyway :)

fnheiden, have you looked at GSView (http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/)? By looking at its license, it seems to me that you could derive your work from it. This would indeed double the size of the plugin, but IMO it would give a much better result overall. Can you take this into consideration (possibly for the next major version)?
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

fnheiden wrote:Lefteous,

there is a section called [pdfview] in the file lsplugin.ini. In this scection you will find a key called command.

My configuration of this key looks like:

command=-dSAFER -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=bmp256 -r%3 -dTextAlphaBits=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 -sOutputFile=%2 -dFirstPage=%4 -dLastPage=%4 "%1"
To view password protected pdf files, you have to add the keyword -sPDFPassword=yourpassword to this command string. It will look like

command=-dSAFER -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sPDFPassword=test -sDEVICE=bmp256 -r%3 -dTextAlphaBits=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 -sOutputFile=%2 -dFirstPage=%4 -dLastPage=%4 "%1"
Hope this helps!

~ Florian

It still doesn't work for me. When I erase the -sPDFPassword=test parameter all files without password protection work fine.
Even worse: I don't understand the concept. A password is file dependent. The user should be asked to enter a password if one is required to open the specific file. At the moment the parameter is included everytime, which doesn't make sense to me.