[not reproduced] Big bug copying files

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

aggg63

[not reproduced] Big bug copying files

Post by *aggg63 »

Hello.

I found a big bug from time to time very difficult to reproduce. I have 2 files: file “A” and file “B” in a disk. I move, using the queue, the 2 file to another disk separately, one to one, first the file “A” and then the file “B”. I watch the queue and the sequence is correct, all seems correct. What happens (not always)? The file “A” is moved, then the file “B” overwrite the file “A”. Someone has observed this error? Thanks a lot.
Licensed user 102111
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

If file A and B have different names then it is impossible that they overwrite each other, assuming that they're not renamed in the process (i.e. in the copy dialog before it's confirmed) and the overwrite confirmation is enabled.

However, you should watch closely which advanced options you choose in the copy/move dialog and which confirmations are enabled or disabled (Options > Misc > Get confirmations before).

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
aggg63

Post by *aggg63 »

Hello.

I have these 4 files in disk M:.

Braveheart (Spanish English).avi
El Exorcista El Montaje Del Director (Spanish).avi
El Nombre De La Rosa (Documental).avi
El Nombre De La Rosa (Spanish English) .avi

I move the files to disk Q: (a NAS server) in the above order. First Braveheart, second El Exorcista, and so on. In queue, the option is 'CopyFlags=0'. This is the sequence (revised 2 times):

Move: m:\Braveheart (Spanish English).avi -> q:\Braveheart (Spanish English).avi
Move: m:\El Exorcista El Montaje Del Director (Spanish).avi -> q:\El Exorcista El Montaje Del Director (Spanish).avi
Move: m:\El Nombre De La Rosa ( Documental).avi -> q:\El Nombre De La Rosa (Documental).avi
Move: m:\El Nombre De La Rosa (Spanish English).avi -> q:\El Nombre De La Rosa (Spanish English).avi

This is the result in log file:

16/03/2015 21:00:46: Move: m:\Braveheart (Spanish English).avi -> q:\Braveheart (Spanish English).avi
16/03/2015 21:00:46: Delete: m:\Braveheart (Spanish English).avi
16/03/2015 21:06:46: Move: m:\El Exorcista El Montaje Del Director (Spanish).avi -> q:\El Exorcista El Montaje Del Director (Spanish).avi
16/03/2015 21:06:46: Delete: m:\El Exorcista El Montaje Del Director (Spanish).avi
16/03/2015 21:10:27: Move: m:\El Nombre De La Rosa (Spanish English).avi -> q:\El Nombre De La Rosa (Documental).avi
16/03/2015 21:10:27: Delete: m:\El Nombre De La Rosa (Spanish English).avi

Total Commander show this error 'Can't find file “El Nombre De La Rosa (Spanish English).avi”'. This error happens very rarely, but happens to me.

I have many years working with “Norton / Win / Total Commander” and others. As you can see is not impossible. I know what I see and the result is an error in queue management. I can send you more information if you need it. Thanks for your time.
Licensed user 102111
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

I almost didn't spot it, but the error is in the log's second to last line:

Code: Select all

16/03/2015 21:10:27: Move: m:\El Nombre De La Rosa (Spanish English).avi -> q:\El Nombre De La Rosa (Documental).avi
, is it?

Is there a way to reliably reproduce this? Ideally with a clean wincmd.ini like this:

totalcmd.exe /i="%temp%\fresh.ini"
However, you didn't tell what advanced options you use(d) and if the confirmation dialogs are enabled.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
aggg63

Post by *aggg63 »

Dalai wrote:I almost didn't spot it, but the error is in the log's second to last line:

, is it?
Yes, this is the line wrong.
Dalai wrote:Is there a way to reliably reproduce this? Ideally with a clean wincmd.ini like this:

totalcmd.exe /i="%temp%\fresh.ini"
I will try this. In december I was trying to reproduce this error copying and moving files but was imposible. All operations were correct.
Dalai wrote:However, you didn't tell what advanced options you use(d) and if the confirmation dialogs are enabled.
I will paste advanced options and the confirmation dialogs ('CopyFlags=0' is ask to the user, Isn't?)

I'm at work. This night will do the test. Thanks.
Licensed user 102111
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

aggg63 wrote:('CopyFlags=0' is ask to the user, Isn't?)
No, AFAIK the CopyFlags line in the queue dialog is given after each file/selection to reset the flags to their former settings; but I might be wrong there. However, I still don't know of a comprehensive description of this line, its values and how they affect the copy/move process - IMO it should be explained in the help file. I found this thread which explains the flags.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

aggg63

Post by *aggg63 »

This is the configuration for confirmation operations from ini file.

[Confirmation]
deleteDirs=1
OverwriteFiles=1
OverwriteReadonly=1
OverwriteHidSys=1
MouseActions=1

This is the 'sure' configuration, so you don't make mistakes and delete/overwrite anything.

In the dialog for copy/move I have always 'Ask user' and the option 'Overwrite/delete read only/hidden/system' is not checked.

I know with the above options and configuration, the error I reported is impossible, but it happens.

While I'm writing this post I'm moving the files, with 2 internal disk, and all is correct. I will test with a fresh ini.

Thanks.
Licensed user 102111
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Hm, that's weird. I'm sure if this bug appeared more often (if it is one), more people would have complained about it. Could be some special thing/config on your system, but that's just a guess, though.

Does this happen when moving files on the local system or some other network storage, too? Do you mark all files at once and send them to the BTM or do you select and send them separately/one after the other?

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

aggg63

Post by *aggg63 »

Dalai wrote:Hm, that's weird. I'm sure if this bug appeared more often (if it is one), more people would have complained about it. Could be some special thing/config on your system, but that's just a guess, though.
I found the bug. I can reproduced the error. How I can attach an image? Or, how can I send you screenshots?
Dalai wrote:Does this happen when moving files on the local system or some other network storage, too? Do you mark all files at once and send them to the BTM or do you select and send them separately/one after the other
The problem is moving files to network disk and when the move is one by one. In local disks there isn't problem.

If I have these 3 files in local disk

Braveheart.avi
El Exorcista.avi
El Nombre De La Rosa.avi

I can move them to network disk as I like: all together or one by one.

If I have these 4 files in local disk

Braveheart.avi
El Exorcista.avi
El Nombre De La Rosa.avi
El Nombre De La Rosa (documental).avi

I can move them all together, but if I move one by one (separately), I have the error like this example

Move: M:\Braveheart.avi -> Q:\Braveheart.avi
Move: M:\El Exorcista.avi -> Q:\El Nombre De La Rosa.avi
Move: M:\El Nombre De La Rosa.avi -> Q:\El Exorcista.avi
Move: M:\El Nombre De La Rosa (Documental).avi -> Q:\El Nombre De La Rosa.avi

If there are 2 files with a name very similar, there is a problem in the queue.

The images are more explicity than words. What information you need to try to reproduce the problem?

Thanks.
Licensed user 102111
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

aggg63 wrote:I can reproduced the error. How I can attach an image? Or, how can I send you screenshots?
Upload it to a site of your choosing and link to it here.
If I have these 4 files in local disk

Braveheart.avi
El Exorcista.avi
El Nombre De La Rosa.avi
El Nombre De La Rosa (documental).avi

I can move them all together, but if I move one by one (separately), I have the error like this example

Move: M:\Braveheart.avi -> Q:\Braveheart.avi
Move: M:\El Exorcista.avi -> Q:\El Nombre De La Rosa.avi
Move: M:\El Nombre De La Rosa.avi -> Q:\El Exorcista.avi
Move: M:\El Nombre De La Rosa (Documental).avi -> Q:\El Nombre De La Rosa.avi

If there are 2 files with a name very similar, there is a problem in the queue.
Looking at the files names, I guess I know where the problem could be: missing quotes around the file name when TC moves the files, so this would "only" become a problem when you have file names like

file name one.foo
file name one with some more words.foo
Years ago, there was a similar problem with the execution of files where TC launched the wrong program when I had files like this:

Motherboard Monitor 5.3.4.0.exe
Motherboard Monitor 5.3.4.0 Language.exe
and they were located on a CD/DVD (TC always launched the first one).

On the other hand, the file names you posted first do not support this thesis. Which copy method do you use?
What information you need to try to reproduce the problem?
Step by step instructions.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

aggg63

Post by *aggg63 »

Hello Dalai.

Here you are the image to ilustrate the problem. There are 2 samples. The moves are from a local disk to a network drive. Method A very simple, select all, press F6 and then press F2. This works. Method B very simple again, select one file, press F6 and then F2. Select another file and repeat. This doesn't work.

http://angel63.dyndns.org:8000/f/a00357ed90/
http://angel63.dyndns.org:8000/f/28ef45db05/
http://angel63.dyndns.org:8000/f/be5d2bce57/
http://angel63.dyndns.org:8000/f/2f48b6fb64/

Thanks.
Licensed user 102111
aggg63

Post by *aggg63 »

Hello Dalai.

I test moving files at work. I have another NAS and I verified the same problem. Also I noted the problem arise if there are 4 o more files. Here you are the screenshots.

http://angel63.dyndns.org:8000/f/63bcc2d8c8/
http://angel63.dyndns.org:8000/f/9b9d57f5c1/
Licensed user 102111
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

OK, I tried with your file names but I couldn't reproduce it.
  • Did you try a clean .ini file?
  • Which version are you using? 8.51a? 32 or 64 bit?
  • Does this happen when copying the files instead of moving them?
  • Does it happen when you don't open/pin the advanced options in the copy dialog?
Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

aggg63

Post by *aggg63 »

OK, I tried with your file names but I couldn't reproduce it.
  • Did you try a clean .ini file?
    With a clean ini file all works perfectly.
  • Which version are you using? 8.51a? 32 or 64 bit?
    TC 8.51a 32b and Windows 7 Enterprise 64b (work and home)
  • Does this happen when copying the files instead of moving them?
    The problem is moving and copying.
  • Does it happen when you don't open/pin the advanced options in the copy dialog?
    Is the same: open/pin the options. See last screenshot.
http://angel63.dyndns.org:8000/f/43d61b9217/
Licensed user 102111
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Well, if it works with a clean .ini file, I'm afraid you have to figure out which setting causes this. You should start by removing section by section from your regular .ini file (or copying them from your regular one to the clean one) and try copying/moving files after each section.

As soon as you found out which section is causing this, you can remove a couple of the settings from that section. Repeat that until you found the culprit.

I know it's some tough work, especially with a lot of settings in the .ini file that was created over years of use...

Just out of curiosity: Does your .ini file have some UTF-8 BOM (byte-order-marker) or something like at the beginning (you can use Notepad++ to figure that out)? Or is any section larger than 64k? IIRC there were some supposed "bugs" which were caused by things like that in the past.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence