HELP: Naming Total Commander for Windows phone

Currently in public beta: Windows Phone version

Moderators: white, Hacker, Stefan2

Sparxx

Post by *Sparxx »

@ghisler - what about my suggestion with the "TotaI Commander" name, it's very viable ...me thinks ))
Patrick Boylan

Post by *Patrick Boylan »

Sparxx wrote:@ghisler - what about my suggestion with the "TotaI Commander" name, it's very viable ...me thinks ))
While waiting for Ghisler's opinion, here's mine:

Your first suggestion "TC Mobile" sounds fine to me. And it can be used for a port to Android as well.

Or "TC WinM" or "TC Win10M" to signify that it's just for Windows phones.

As for your second suggestion "TotaI Commander" (with a "1" in place of the "L" in Total), that would make life difficult for people searching for TOTAL (with the L) COMMANDER, unless they knew of the trick. In addition, it looks like a kludge. So I'd go with your first suggestion.
Sparxx

Post by *Sparxx »

@Patrick Boylan - I actually suggested using "I - big letter i" instead of "l" in the "Total" word, as visually it's the closest, also while when searching on store for a name it looks for app. names, it also looks in app description and if i'm not mistaken there are also tags, so you can tag your app with all the corresponding terms, like : file, manager, files, etc.
So I actually think the best is to keep the name in it's original form and just tag it and write in description that it's the original Total Commander.
phantom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *phantom »

@Sparrxx, I agree with Patrick. I think the trick with "I" is not a fine solution.

Perhaps the internal name of "Total Commander" could be a good compromise:

TOTALCMD Mobile
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

As the existing channel is for beta releases, could the other one not be called "Total Commander (stable)" or so?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Sparxx

Post by *Sparxx »

Well, the word was that it needs a simple and clean name, and till now the simpliest and cleanest names for my eyes and ears are "TC Mobile" and "TOTALCMD Mobile" , that is aside from "Total Commander" which is the best of course, but given the fact that for now it's taken i'd go with either one of the first two, and just keep the plan of writing a good description and tagging it so people understand that it's THE same Total Commander.
absolute0

Post by *absolute0 »

Contact MS support maybe they can help you and allows you to rename the beta version so you can use "Total Commander" for public release
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

There is no support in these big corporations.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Patrick Boylan

Sparxx wrote: Before posting it's always recommended to read the first post
How true. :oops: Indeed, one should read the entire site before writing!

Thus I must now apologize for some of my earlier comments about "future ports". I just saw the link "Mobile versions" on the Total Commander homepage and learned that there is already:
"Total Commander for Android"
"Total Commander for Blackberry" ... etc. etc. Even
"Total Commander for Windows CE"

So for me the name for this version under development has to be:
"Total Commander for Windows 10 Mobile". Or, for short,
"Total Commander Win10M".

The short version is to satisfy the MS Bureaucracy's app listing requirement.
But even if people just digit "Total Commander", they'll find it in the app store.
Whereas names like TCMobile, nice and short, might be harder to find just by digiting "Total Commander" in the search box. And these condensed names are out of step with all the other Total Commander names listed above.

In any case, the long version:
"Total Commander for Windows 10 Mobile"
should be what appears in the product description. Unless the MS control freaks want to start dictating how you describe your product. :x
Sparxx

Post by *Sparxx »

Patrick Boylan wrote:
Sparxx wrote: Before posting it's always recommended to read the first post
How true. :oops: Indeed, one should read the entire site before writing!
While I appreciate your sarcasm about reading the entire site :D , this doesn't mean you shouldn't read what the OP wrote and to understand what the problem is, as what you wrote in your previous post was already done by dev. and he wrote it in the first post.

Also the name you proposed is alright, but just too long, it will not fit on the screen, but this has been also already said )) , also in the first post.
Now really...read the first post ... LOL, no offence..pun intended ))
Patrick Boylan

While I appreciate your sarcasm about reading the entire site
No sarcasm intended, I said it sincerely.
If I had read the entire site, I would have seen that Total Commander for Android and Blackberry already exist, and I wouldn't have talked about other possible ports to those platforms.

As for the length,
Total Commander Win10M
should fit given that the fonts may be smaller with the new store.

What if this name is still too long, and the last part (Win10M) gets pushed to the next line or eliminated, leaving just
Total Commander
as the title?

Heh heh heh, well that would be just fine! :wink: :lol:
Sparxx

Post by *Sparxx »

Patrick Boylan wrote:
While I appreciate your sarcasm about reading the entire site
No sarcasm intended, I said it sincerely.
If I had read the entire site, I would have seen that Total Commander for Android and Blackberry already exist, and I wouldn't have talked about other possible ports to those platforms.

As for the length,
Total Commander Win10M
should fit given that the fonts may be smaller with the new store.

What if this name is still too long, and the last part (Win10M) gets pushed to the next line or eliminated, leaving just
Total Commander
as the title?

Heh heh heh, well that would be just fine! :wink: :lol:
Uh..oh...my bad, as a non native English speaking person, it seemed like sarcasm for me, sorry for my wrong assumptions )).

As for "Total Commander Win10M"...uh...idk...it just doesn't sound right...that is from my perspective, like many of those wanna be original apps that steal reputable names and just add something OS related at the end, but that's just me.
absolute0

Post by *absolute0 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:There is no support in these big corporations.
How come? I see many support options they are provide at the site including chat and/or phone call
CopyCats

Post by *CopyCats »

WinMob Commander
Total Commander::WinMob
#5050 :: Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

And who is that winning mob?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com