Append checksums to existing checksum files

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Append checksums to existing checksum files

Post by *Dalai »

Hi there :),

time for another suggestion. It would be really nice to have an option to add/append (new) checksums to existing checksum files.

What do I mean by that? Imagine you have a directory with these files:

Code: Select all

1.txt
2.txt
3.txt
checksums.md5
and the checksums.md5 contains the checksum of 1.txt only. Now, when you mark the files that are missing from checksums.md5 (2.txt and 3.txt) and select Files > Create Checksum File(s) and type the name checksums.md5, TC shows a dialog with the options to overwrite, rename, skip and cancel. There is no option to append the new checksums to the existing checksum file.

Some background info:
Currently, I'm downloading a couple of files from the net and want to create checksums for all of them. But my internet connection is really slow for today's standards, so it takes quite some time - which I can use to create checksums for the already downloaded files. To actually append the checksums, I have to create a checksum file with a different name, and copy this new file to the existing checksum file to get an option to append it. => An annoying detour if you have to take it more than a few times.

PS: I'd like to see this feature in TC 9.0 ;).

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Support++
I run into the same situation each time I add new files to an existing folder with files where binary verification is a must.
#5767 Personal license
isidro

Post by *isidro »

I would like that too, but most important, to generate a MD5 checksum file as an option when files are copied (so you only have to read them once in origin), it would be useful to have a post copy checksum verify.
PHiLiPZ

Post by *PHiLiPZ »

Would be also nice to generate multiple checksums with one read of the file. Currently it's MD5 or sha* or crc but the bottleneck is reading the source. It shouldn't be too difficult to replace those radiobuttons with checkboxes and have a few consumers of the read data.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Unfortunately this hasn't been added to TC9 :cry:.

2Ghisler
Any chance this feature gets added any time soon?

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's unfortunately not so easy because the checked files may already be in the list.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2ghisler(Author)
So? Then there may be duplicate lines in the checksum files. Why does this bother you? They'll get checked more than once in that case. But this only matters when you have large files. And the user can still remove the duplicate lines manually, can't (s)he?

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Since you added this neat feature
history.txt wrote:10.08.16 Added: Files - Create CRC checksums: New option to create checksum file in each directory. Use name of directory as checksum name by default (32/64)
what about the suggestion in this topic?

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's not that simple - there may already be an entry for the tested file in the checksum file, so it would have to be updated. And there may be entries for files which no longer exist, leading to a CRC check error when checking the file...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Isn't that the user's responsibility to append the new checksums only to a "clean" checksum file? You can't prevent the user from making mistakes and from being stupid, although software - especially Windows itself - tries to do so.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

isidro

Post by *isidro »

*Bump*, what about my suggestion of making a MD5 file of everything copied as it's being copied?
Name should be parent Folder or DiskDrive letter. (Generate MD5 CheckBox in copy). MD5 should obviously be in destination place.

Sometimes is essential to be able of verifying contents of a copy/backup. Having the MD5 generated at same time of copying will half the time of the whole process.