Windows 10: Photos app can't browse previous / next photos!

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

a694934

Windows 10: Photos app can't browse previous / next photos!

Post by *a694934 »

- Navigate to folder with some photos in both Total Commander and Windows Explorer.

- Open one photo from Windows Explorer (using new Windows 10 Photos app, should be default one)

- Everything working fine, you can use arrow keys inside Photos app to browse previous / next photos

- Open one photo from Total Commander (v8.52a tested) (using new Windows 10 Photos app, should be default one)

- Inside Photos app, you cannot browse next / previous photos.

Is this something that could be improved in TC or is Photos app deeply integrated with Windows Explorer only?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is a known bug in the Windows Photos app. There is no way to launch it from a third party program (not even a Windows Store app!) to enable the browse buttons.

Solution: Install a different Photo viewer like Irfanview. It allows to scroll through fotos in full screen mode with the right/left mouse buttons.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Catscratch

Post by *Catscratch »

One short question. Did you contacted microsoft dev support about this? Maybe they changes something in the API you can use?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I asked in the Windows forums here:
windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues

There may be a way to go via IApplicationActivationManager, but it's very very complex, so I didn't have the time yet to try it. Getting the application id is very tricky.

I'm not aware of any Microsoft support which could be asked.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Catscratch wrote:One short question. Did you contacted microsoft dev support about this? Maybe they changes something in the API you can use?
There is nothing exciting in the Photo app.
So why wasting time for it.
There are enough prlugins and programs to display or manage photos
and most of them are better than the Windows 10 app.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

The problem is that it's now the default on millions of computers, but just doesn't work correctly when opened from other apps than the Explorer.
Rockin

Win 10 Photos App doesn't browse through directory with TC

Post by *Rockin »

If I doubleclick an image inside TC to open with the default Photos App in Windows 10, I don't have the Previous/Next arrows to browse through the images in that directory.

However, if I do the same thing in File Explorer, browsing through the images in that directory works fine.

Any idea how to fix this?
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

This can't be fixed.
The Photos App only works with Windows Explorer this way.
But there enough better free tools to show and browse photos.
sidefx88

Post by *sidefx88 »

It actually can be fixed, here's how: http://goo.gl/cnYoof

Cheers!
I Love Total Commander!
Rockin

Post by *Rockin »

sidefx88, thanks, but I was looking for a way to use the new Photos app, not the old one.
Horst.Epp, well, that's a bummer. I'm using Xnview and it's one of the best picture viewers I've encountered. But the UI looks so dated that I got bored and wanted to give it a go with the new app. It's very weird that it can browse through a folder only when opened in File Explorer, though.
sd_keeper

Post by *sd_keeper »

Is there any update on this issue ?
I'm having troubles to explain users who used to do all the work in total commander why they can't navigate forward/backward in photos on windows 10.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

No there isn't, sorry. Microsoft didn't fix their app, and I couldn't find a way to launch it like the Explorer does.
dalvder

Post by *dalvder »

isn't there a way to do a macro script of some sort (this is just my World of Warcraft brain coming into play here)? when I right click on a .jpg picture then go to open with>choose another app> and I select Windows Photo Viewer it actually opens the image. I obviously don't want to be doing this each and everytime I want to access a photo while browsing files using total commander.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

dalvder wrote:isn't there a way to do a macro script of some sort (this is just my World of Warcraft brain coming into play here)? when I right click on a .jpg picture then go to open with>choose another app> and I select Windows Photo Viewer it actually opens the image. I obviously don't want to be doing this each and everytime I want to access a photo while browsing files using total commander.
You can make an TC internal assocation which is show on context menu.
ace960

Post by *ace960 »

I just lost my whole detailed reply because it contained URL. So I'll make it short this time.

Execute the following two parts from powershell (as administrator) to help yourselves:

# Set Photo Viewer as default for bmp, gif, jpg, png and tif
If (!(Test­Path "HKCR:")) {
New­PSDrive ­Name HKCR ­PSProvider Registry ­Root HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT | Out­Null
}
ForEach ($type in @("Paint.Picture", "giffile", "jpegfile", "pngfile", "TIFImage.Document")) {
New­Item ­Path $("HKCR:\$type\shell\open") ­Force | Out­Null
New­Item ­Path $("HKCR:\$type\shell\open\command") | Out­Null
Set­ItemProperty ­Path $("HKCR:\$type\shell\open") ­Name "MuiVerb" ­Type ExpandString ­Value
"@%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo Viewer\photoviewer.dll,­3043"
Set­ItemProperty ­Path $("HKCR:\$type\shell\open\command") ­Name "(Default)" ­Type ExpandString ­
Value "%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe `"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo
Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll`", ImageView_Fullscreen %1"
}

# Show Photo Viewer in "Open with..."
If (!(Test­Path "HKCR:")) {
New­PSDrive ­Name HKCR ­PSProvider Registry ­Root HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT | Out­Null
}
New­Item ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open\command" ­Force | Out­Null
New­Item ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open\DropTarget" ­Force | Out­Null
New­Item ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\print\command" ­Force | Out­Null
New­Item ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\print\DropTarget" ­Force | Out­Null
Set­ItemProperty ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open" ­Name "MuiVerb" ­Type String
­Value "@photoviewer.dll,­3043"
Set­ItemProperty ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open\command" ­Name "(Default)" ­
Type ExpandString ­Value "%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe `"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo
Set­ItemProperty ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open\DropTarget" ­Name "Clsid" ­
Type String ­Value "{FFE2A43C­56B9­4bf5­9A79­CC6D4285608A}"
Set­ItemProperty ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\print\command" ­Name "(Default)" ­
Type ExpandString ­Value "%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe `"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo
Set­ItemProperty ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\print\DropTarget" ­Name "Clsid" ­
Type String ­Value "{60fd46de­f830­4894­a628­6fa81bc0190d}"