This forum uses cookies. Click X button to hide this message. What is stored? / Privacy
Total Commander Forum Index Total Commander
Forum - Public Discussion and Support

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows 10: Photos app can't browse previous / next photos!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Total Commander Forum Index -> TC8.5x bug reports (English) Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a694934

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Windows 10: Photos app can't browse previous / next photos! Reply with quote

- Navigate to folder with some photos in both Total Commander and Windows Explorer.

- Open one photo from Windows Explorer (using new Windows 10 Photos app, should be default one)

- Everything working fine, you can use arrow keys inside Photos app to browse previous / next photos

- Open one photo from Total Commander (v8.52a tested) (using new Windows 10 Photos app, should be default one)

- Inside Photos app, you cannot browse next / previous photos.

Is this something that could be improved in TC or is Photos app deeply integrated with Windows Explorer only?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a known bug in the Windows Photos app. There is no way to launch it from a third party program (not even a Windows Store app!) to enable the browse buttons.

Solution: Install a different Photo viewer like Irfanview. It allows to scroll through fotos in full screen mode with the right/left mouse buttons.
Catscratch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One short question. Did you contacted microsoft dev support about this? Maybe they changes something in the API you can use?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked in the Windows forums here:
windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues

There may be a way to go via IApplicationActivationManager, but it's very very complex, so I didn't have the time yet to try it. Getting the application id is very tricky.

I'm not aware of any Microsoft support which could be asked.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catscratch wrote:
One short question. Did you contacted microsoft dev support about this? Maybe they changes something in the API you can use?

There is nothing exciting in the Photo app.
So why wasting time for it.
There are enough prlugins and programs to display or manage photos
and most of them are better than the Windows 10 app.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that it's now the default on millions of computers, but just doesn't work correctly when opened from other apps than the Explorer.
sd_keeper

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any update on this issue ?
I'm having troubles to explain users who used to do all the work in total commander why they can't navigate forward/backward in photos on windows 10.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No there isn't, sorry. Microsoft didn't fix their app, and I couldn't find a way to launch it like the Explorer does.
dalvder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't there a way to do a macro script of some sort (this is just my World of Warcraft brain coming into play here)? when I right click on a .jpg picture then go to open with>choose another app> and I select Windows Photo Viewer it actually opens the image. I obviously don't want to be doing this each and everytime I want to access a photo while browsing files using total commander.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalvder wrote:
isn't there a way to do a macro script of some sort (this is just my World of Warcraft brain coming into play here)? when I right click on a .jpg picture then go to open with>choose another app> and I select Windows Photo Viewer it actually opens the image. I obviously don't want to be doing this each and everytime I want to access a photo while browsing files using total commander.

You can make an TC internal assocation which is show on context menu.
ace960

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just lost my whole detailed reply because it contained URL. So I'll make it short this time.

Execute the following two parts from powershell (as administrator) to help yourselves:

# Set Photo Viewer as default for bmp, gif, jpg, png and tif
If (!(Test­Path "HKCR:")) {
New­PSDrive ­Name HKCR ­PSProvider Registry ­Root HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT | Out­Null
}
ForEach ($type in @("Paint.Picture", "giffile", "jpegfile", "pngfile", "TIFImage.Document")) {
New­Item ­Path $("HKCR:\$type\shell\open") ­Force | Out­Null
New­Item ­Path $("HKCR:\$type\shell\open\command") | Out­Null
Set­ItemProperty ­Path $("HKCR:\$type\shell\open") ­Name "MuiVerb" ­Type ExpandString ­Value
"@%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo Viewer\photoviewer.dll,­3043"
Set­ItemProperty ­Path $("HKCR:\$type\shell\open\command") ­Name "(Default)" ­Type ExpandString ­
Value "%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe `"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo
Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll`", ImageView_Fullscreen %1"
}

# Show Photo Viewer in "Open with..."
}
New­Item ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open\command" ­Force | Out­Null
New­Item ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open\DropTarget" ­Force | Out­Null
New­Item ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\print\command" ­Force | Out­Null
New­Item ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\print\DropTarget" ­Force | Out­Null
Set­ItemProperty ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open" ­Name "MuiVerb" ­Type String
­Value "@photoviewer.dll,­3043"
Set­ItemProperty ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open\command" ­Name "(Default)" ­
Type ExpandString ­Value "%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe `"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo
Set­ItemProperty ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open\DropTarget" ­Name "Clsid" ­
Type String ­Value "{FFE2A43C­56B9­4bf5­9A79­CC6D4285608A}"
Set­ItemProperty ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\print\command" ­Name "(Default)" ­
Type ExpandString ­Value "%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe `"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo
Set­ItemProperty ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\print\DropTarget" ­Name "Clsid" ­
Type String ­Value "{60fd46de­f830­4894­a628­6fa81bc0190d}"
ace960

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just lost my whole reply because it contained URL. So I'll make it short this time. Then I almost lost it second time because it was too soon to post it after the first one which was rejected. Going back in browser is not good idea. I used to copy the message to clipboard before posting. I obviously did not do that for the first attempt with the URL.

Execute the following two parts from powershell (as administrator) to help yourselves:

}
ForEach ($type in @("Paint.Picture", "giffile", "jpegfile", "pngfile", "TIFImage.Document")) {
Set­ItemProperty ­Path $("HKCR:\$type\shell\open") ­Name "MuiVerb" ­Type ExpandString ­Value
Set­ItemProperty ­Path $("HKCR:\$type\shell\open\command") ­Name "(Default)" ­Type ExpandString ­
}

}
New­Item ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open\command" ­Force | Out­Null
New­Item ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open\DropTarget" ­Force | Out­Null
New­Item ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\print\command" ­Force | Out­Null
New­Item ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\print\DropTarget" ­Force | Out­Null
Set­ItemProperty ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open" ­Name "MuiVerb" ­Type String
Set­ItemProperty ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open\command" ­Name "(Default)" ­
Set­ItemProperty ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open\DropTarget" ­Name "Clsid" ­
Set­ItemProperty ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\print\command" ­Name "(Default)" ­
Set­ItemProperty ­Path "HKCR:\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\print\DropTarget" ­Name "Clsid" ­

dalvder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]
You can make an TC internal assocation which is show on context menu.[/quote]

If you would care to go into a bit more detail/depth about what you suggest I should do there, I would appreciate that very much!

I think this is probably a good time to say that I'm no advanced user when it comes to writing lines of code or whatever. I am however able to comprehend how things work, having quite a good grasp on computers. So all I ask for is a little bit more context or a kind of a more detailed walk-through of what you've suggested I do earlier on.

P.S.
Hope you won't think I'm too much work, I'd really love to make this picture-viewing issue go away!
dalvder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: not working Reply with quote

Thank you very much for you suggestion! Initially it did not work because I was running an older version of TC (6.02). After a bit of brainstorming I figured I might want to try a newer version (8.52a) on which your quick fix worked great! Thank you ever so much for that!

}
}

}

[/quote]
tosbsas

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do I have to do this only once?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Total Commander Forum Index -> TC8.5x bug reports (English) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: