Copy & Move preferences per (target) folder

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Copy & Move preferences per (target) folder

Post by *hi5 »

When I copy or move files to a folder and some of the file names of the source are present in the target panel, TC nicely asks what I'd like to do, in many cases this fine.

But there are some folders where I want to copy or move files to where I already know what my preference is either overwrite, skip or auto rename target files for example. This never changes for these specific folders.

So what I would like to be able to do is set a preference for such specific target folders. So when in future I copy/move files to it, it will either automatically use the stored preference or still ask "what would you like to do" and then a button "Use preference".

I know I can use buttons, batch files/scripts etc to do this but I don't want to as I simply want to keep on using F5/F6 and not have to think "I've got to use another button now".

Note: I've been playing around with a AHK script that simply monitors F5/F6 and the target panels but its not 100% full proof and its a bit tedious to operate/set.
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *hi5 »

Now that TC 9 will have view modes, how hard would it be to expand it to copy/move preferences per folder?
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

hi5,
Now that TC 9 will have view modes, how hard would it be to expand it to copy/move preferences per folder?
For example?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *hi5 »

You can now define view properties for folders (icons, colors) which is great and I already don't want to go without anymore.

What if you could do the same for copy and/or move actions and define presets?

So for example:

Code: Select all

If target = c:\work\
	[Set option *1-8] 5: Always Automatically Rename Copied Files
* The overwrite options (1 to 8) you have in the Options menu of Copy and Move dialogs.

Usually when I move files I want to overwrite them if they exist in the target folder, which is easy as I can just say "overwrite (all)" if the Dialog or Skip. (I tend to press alt-a)

But there are some folders - always the same - where I want to "Automatically Rename Copied Files", now I have to go into "Options" or "More options" and select that option.

I already know that I want to rename them, selecting that option "each time" is tedious.

If you can define rules as above "for this folder always use this option" that would be convenient wouldn't it?

Of course if the user isn't very careful when setting up the rules, files could accidentally be overwritten but a "Use preference" button in the dialog would add some safety e.g. it would still ask what you want to do.
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *hi5 »

Just curious if other people would find this useful.
(sorry for bump)