difficult to access to root in units

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

vicsha

difficult to access to root in units

Post by *vicsha »

I use tabs and a constant nuisance is how to access to the root of the units. The tabs are locked but directory changes are allowed, that is for me the more practical setting. But if I'm in a tab of D:/ in a nested folder and want to return to the root there is no easy way to do it.

Selecting the unit D:\ in the unit buttons will do nothing and will remain the folder of the tab. Using the \ symbol will do nothing again. The only thing that works is using several times the .. that is what at the end I do.

As alternative is possible to press ctrl+\ or even more practical central mouse over the unit button. But even it seems that both solve the problem in reality they create an even worse problem. They create a new tab each time that are used. Not only that, when new tabs are created cluttering the tabs, they are also scrolling to the right to the point it is not possible to see the original tabs. That means this is not a valid option and I return to click multiple times the double point.

Am I missing a solution that could do this easier?
:shock: :shock:
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

When I want to navigate quickly up in a folder hierarchy, I use either the breadcrumb bar or keyboard arrows.

The breadcrumb bar is clickable, so I simply click on a folder (e.g. root) where I want to end up.

And I have my left arrow configured to jump to parent folder and right arrow to enter a folder/archive. So navigating in complex folder/archive structures is very quick - I'm just pressing four nearby arrows instead of arrows+Backspace+Enter.

Another way would be adding "LockedGoToDriveRoot=1" to your wincmd.ini. That would change the behavior and always took you to the drive root instead of tab root.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I've set LockedGoToDriveRoot=1 and Ctrl+Shift+\ mapped to cm_GoToLockedDir so Ctrl+\ opens drive root regardless of tab state and I can always open locked dir with Ctrl+Shift+\.
vicsha

Post by *vicsha »

Thanks, I have set LockedGoToDriveRoot=1 and this solves my problem
But I think this should be the default behavior instead editing a text doc to correct it.
Clicking in the path bar (I guess this is the bread thing) is unprecise when clicking the root as a lot of times opens the units list.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Clicking \ changes directory to drive root, even if the tab is locked, but directory change is allowed. At least that's true for my systems. I don't have set LockedGoToDriveRoot option.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
vicsha

Post by *vicsha »

Dalai, it never has been the case for me, and I'm using this program since the first version. Also other installations in other computers react in the same way.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Dalai,
Nope, you can test with clean INI, '\' button in drive bar goes to locked dir in case of locked (with allowed directory change) tab. But it works consistently when LockedGoToDriveRoot=1 is set.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2MVV
Ah, now I see the difference: I locked the tab in the drive's root, and changed dirs after that.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror