Windows 10 DRAG AND DROP

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

patdeterre

Windows 10 DRAG AND DROP

Post by *patdeterre »

There is a bug when you drag a file to drop the total commander. The are no effect.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Are you running Total Commander with administrator rights? Then Windows will block drag&drop to programs running with normal rights.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
pol098

Post by *pol098 »

Me too. Details: drag and drop has not been working in TCMD 8.52a since migrating from Win7/64 to Win10/64. TCMD is not running as administrator, or in any compatibility mode, for current user and all users. Explorer.exe is owned by TrustedInstaller; TOTALCMD.EXE and TOTALCMD64.EXE are owned by an administrator user. Changing TCMD ownership to SYSTEM doesn't help. TrustedInstaller isn't available as an option to change owner to. I can drag and drop from pane to pane within TCMD, but not from external places like a browser URL, the desktop, or Windows Explorer. I could experiment with changing ownership of Explorer.exe to SYSTEM, but then probably wouldn't be able to change it back again, so have avoided doing it. Copy/Cut and Paste to TCMD does work. 64- and 32-bit TCMD behave the same.

Workaround: use copy/paste where possible. Not possible from a browser URL - I get round this by dragging URL icon to the desktop, then cut/paste to TCMD.
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

pol098 wrote:TCMD is not running as administrator
Are you sure?
Do you see something like:
<username>^ - Total Commander (x64) 8.52a - <registered name>
in TCs caption bar?
If so: TC is definitely running with elevated rights!

Regards
Holger
pol098

Post by *pol098 »

HolgerK wrote:
pol098 wrote:TCMD is not running as administrator
Are you sure?
Do you see something like:
<username>^ - Total Commander (x64) 8.52a - <registered name>
in TCs caption bar?
If so: TC is definitely running with elevated rights!

Regards
Holger
I see exactly that, so must be running with elevated rights. So it's a Windows problem, not yours, though I would be grateful for any suggestions. As I said, the Security and Compatibility indicate TCMD has Total control permissions, but is not set to tun as administrator. If I right-click the TCMD quick launch icon on the taskbar, then right-click TCMD64 (the name I use), I get options to Open or Run as administrator; choosing Open doesn't help. I have UAC disabled.

I tried running in a Win7/32 virtual machine, and the caption didn't have the username at the start, just registered name at the end; running as administrator added the username, so that's clear.

Thanks for useful answer, and best wishes

ADDED LATER: Got it! The taskbar shortcut is set to run as administrator, not the program itself. Right-click taskbar icon (or other shortcut), right-click shortcut name (TCMD64 in my case), left-click Properties, Shortcut tab, Advanced button. Run as administrator was ticked. I don't remember if that was my doing, or happened during the Win10 migration. I will now have to decide whether I want to have the advantages of always running as administrator (but no drop), or run normally without elevated rights.

Thanks again for your information, just what I needed, and best wishes
pol098

It works now ...

Post by *pol098 »

Added: I had said that it was now possible to drag and drop onto TCMD running in admin mode; that was a mistake. The details are in the remainder of this post and the two following ones, but there's nothing new, don't bother.

Erroneous post (ignore): I don't think I've changed my configuration in any significant way, but it's now possible to drag and drop into TCMD in user (not admin) mode. I don't know when this happened, I've just noticed. I had set up icons to run 64-bit TCMD as non-admin and 32-bit as admin. I suppose this has happened through Windows updates, though it might be TCMD (now 9.0a rc1).
Last edited by pol098 on 2016-12-03, 14:45 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: It works now ...

Post by *Horst.Epp »

pol098 wrote:I don't think I've changed my configuration in any significant way, but it's now possible to drag and drop into TCMD in user (not admin) mode. I don't know when this happened, I've just noticed. I had set up icons to run 64-bit TCMD as non-admin and 32-bit as admin. I suppose this has happened through Windows updates, though it might be TCMD (now 9.0a rc1).
Windows Update nor TC are definitely not changing any shortcuts you make !
So don't blame others for things you are responsible for.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3296)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
pol098

Re: It works now ...

Post by *pol098 »

Horst.Epp wrote:
pol098 wrote:Windows Update nor TC are definitely not changing any shortcuts you make !
So don't blame others for things you are responsible for.
Thanks for response. I didn't say that Windows or TCMD had changed the shortcuts, simply that drag-and-drop which didn't work in the past now works. But my posting was wrong: on checking I discovered that the shortcut to 32-bit TCMD, which I had set to run in administrator mode, had indeed been changed to run in user mode (possibly by an update to TCMD, possibly something I did inadvertently, the cause is not important). On changing the shortcut to use admin mode, it is indeed not possible to drag and drop to TCMD, as was the case before. Nothing has changed, my posting of a few minutes ago is wrong.
krstatzar

Post by *krstatzar »

Now I am using Windows 10(64) running TC in as an admin, have that arrow next to the icon and cannot drag and drop from desktop to TC.
What am I doing wrong ?
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

krstatzar wrote:What am I doing wrong ?
Did you have read this whole thread?
Didn't find you an answer?

krstatzar

Post by *krstatzar »

Ok it will work when "Run this program in administrator mode" is unchecked but when it is checked it will not.
pol098

Post by *pol098 »

krstatzar wrote:Ok it will work when "Run this program in administrator mode" is unchecked but when it is checked it will not.
The way I have set it up, both to allow drag-and-drop when I need it and admin mode when I need that, is to install the 32- and 64-bit version, with 2 quick-launch icons (32 and 64). Then I edited the quick-launch shortcut properties (not for the program file itself) so that the 32-bit one is in admin mode for all users, and the 64-bit not.
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

32Bit in Admin-mode has the disadvantage that on 64Bit systems the file system redirection is active for 32-Bit processes (e.g. for Windows\System32 folder where you may need admin rights).
Better use a button like this one

Code: Select all

TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA
*%COMMANDER_EXE%
/N /A %X  /L=%P%N /R=%T%M
%COMMANDER_PATH%\TCMADMIN.EXE
Start TotalCommander as ADMIN with current DIRs

to start an elevated 64Bit TC from running 64Bit TC-instance.

You can also create (via "Start->Task Scheduler") a manual scheduled (elevated) Task to start TC and create a link to start this task on demand without asking for consent (bypassing UAC):
- http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/run-programs-elevated-without-getting-the-uac-prompt/
- english thread
- german thread

HTH
Holger
krstatzar

Post by *krstatzar »

it should be a pretty straight forward thing not a rocket science. It's just drag and drop, should work effortlessly IMHO
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

krstatzar wrote:it should be a pretty straight forward thing not a rocket science. It's just drag and drop, should work effortlessly IMHO
Right. But tell that over at Microsoft to the WindowsTM people.