UC2 (16-bit) on Win64

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: UC2 (16-bit) on Win64

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Total Commander 10 still supports UC2 for unpacking, you just need to enter the path to its executable in Configuration - Options - Packer.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
pplupo

Post by *pplupo »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2021-06-18, 17:03 UTC Total Commander 10 still supports UC2 for unpacking, you just need to enter the path to its executable in Configuration - Options - Packer.
Thank you. But is there a way to re-enable packing? I don't see why I would not have it enabled since I got it to work. :-)
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

This version of UC packer is converted to 32-bit with "MS-DOS Player for Win32-x64" from this page -> http://takeda-toshiya.my.coocan.jp/msdos/index.html. I know this posibility since 2019, over 2 years. (It is even mentioned in this thread!)
I even plan join disccusion for re-enable UC2 on packer config window, but i'm lazy and whole thing isn't worth. This packer is dead anyway.
This converted version isn't fully fuctional, try e.g. pack 100 files - no way, packer hangs on console border.
To packing use TC 8.0 beta 11 - last version with UC packer support.
2 ghisler - TC 10 on 32-bit can pack and unpack UC with original 16-bit packer - it's obvious.
But how TC 10 x64 can unpack archive? 16-bit packer doesn't work. Are you aware of 32-bit unpacker?
Of course it's works with this converted version, but pack works too (with some limits), so should be re-enabled.
pplupo

Post by *pplupo »

Gral wrote: 2021-06-18, 19:15 UTC This version of UC packer is converted to 32-bit with "MS-DOS Player for Win32-x64" from this page -> http://takeda-toshiya.my.coocan.jp/msdos/index.html. I know this posibility since 2019, over 2 years. (It is even mentioned in this thread!)
I even plan join disccusion for re-enable UC2 on packer config window, but i'm lazy and whole thing isn't worth. This packer is dead anyway.
This converted version isn't fully fuctional, try e.g. pack 100 files - no way, packer hangs on console border.
To packing use TC 8.0 beta 11 - last version with UC packer support.
2 ghisler - TC 10 on 32-bit can pack and unpack UC with original 16-bit packer - it's obvious.
But how TC 10 x64 can unpack archive? 16-bit packer doesn't work. Are you aware of 32-bit unpacker?
Of course it's works with this converted version, but pack works too (with some limits), so should be re-enabled.
I agree. We can make it work, even if with some limitations. So I'd say we can either argue to remove it because it's too old (and so is lha, but it's still there) or we argue to re-enable it because we can make it work (with limitations). Having it the way it is now is inconsistent with any argument. On 64-bit packing doesn't work and is disabled, but unpacking also doesn't work and it's enabled. If we use MS-DOS Player then both work.

What do you say about enabling it again? :-)
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2021-06-18, 17:03 UTC Total Commander 10 still supports UC2 for unpacking, you just need to enter the path to its executable in Configuration - Options - Packer.
Have you tried to use 32-bit internal unace to unpack the latest WinACE installer wace269i.exe?
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

Usher wrote: 2021-06-19, 00:04 UTCHave you tried to use 32-bit internal unace to unpack the latest WinACE installer wace269i.exe?
Confirmed to fail.
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

Usher wrote: 2021-06-19, 00:04 UTC
Have you tried to use 32-bit internal unace to unpack the latest WinACE installer wace269i.exe?
Ghisler's statement and whole thread is about UC2 - "Ultra Compressor II"
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2Gral
Oh, I have written in wrong topic, my bad.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
lp890

Post by *lp890 »

Hi, I have once created UC2 unpacker library: http://torinak.com/~jb/unuc2/
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

lp890 wrote: 2021-08-21, 08:23 UTCHi, I have once created UC2 unpacker library:
The website of unpacker offers:
* unuc2.wcx - a 32-bit WCX plugin version (from August, 21, 2021) to unpack UC2 archives. It shows long names of files packed to UC2 archives, when such names present, and allows to search in UC2 archives, though search for text in files is not supported (yet?). This 32-bit plugin will probably work in 64-bit TC too using one of available 32-bit wcx plugin wrappers, but I didn't have a chance to test this yet.
* unuc2.exe - utility to unpack UC2 archives. Plugin doesn't depend on this utility. Tool's syntax:
UnUC2 0.6 by Jan Bobrowski

unuc2 [-afpDT] [-d destination] archive.uc2 [files]...
unuc2 -l [-aT] archive.uc2 [files]...
unuc2 -t [-a] archive.uc2 [files]...
-l List
-t Test
-a All versions of files
-d path Destination to extract to
-f Overwrite
-p To stdout
-D Do not set time and permissions of dirs (also files: -DD)
-T Tab-separated
unuc2 -h
This syntax is incompatible with syntax of original AIPNL's UC.EXE, at least Total Commander can't use unuc2.exe instead of uc.exe as external unpacker.
* unuc2-0.5.tar.gz - a source of previous unpacker version, it seems with both utility and plugin sources.

2moderators
Direct link disabled by Moderator until proved for good.
considering above information I think the link can be enabled again.

2lp890
Do you accept bugreports and suggestions?
If yes, I mentioned in another post that:
post 362504 wrote:[there is a] bug in UC.exe: it CAN'T pack files (not folders!) with at least some non-English names, like files with Cyrillic character-names to UC2 archives. [...]
More details in that post itelf. So UC.exe packs long Cyrillic (and probably other non-English) folder names fine. I have a sample UC2 archive with such a Cyrillic dir name, and the plugin shows latin characters instead of it, it seems because the plugin doesn't detect the encoding of filename (because 2cyr.com service is able to decode that latin characters shown by plugin to a correct Cyrillic name). Can I send to you that sample archive somehow so you could look whether it's possible to detect names encoding automatically or manually by setting one in plugin ini file? Another strange thing is that together with that Cyrillic dir WCX shows the 0-byte file which original UC.EXE doesn't see there. I packed that sample archive a long time ago and I'm not sure that such empty file is really exists there.

Also, is some ini configuration of a plugin will be introduced in future, I'd also like to suggest 2 more options for it for compatibility with UC.EXE used by Total Commander:
1. Prefer showing short 8.3 names in file listing;
2. Show filenames in ALL CAPS.

BTW, to still be able to use original UC.exe configured in TC as external unpacker for UC2 when above plugin is already installed, it's possible to add external UC.exe to a context menu using **internal_uc2 as a command/program in Total Commander's internal associations:
wincmd.ini wrote:

Code: Select all

[Associations]
Filter1=*.UC2
Filter1.icon=C:\totalcmd\Plugins\wcx\unuc2\unuc2.exe
Filter1_Open with UC.exe=**internal_uc2
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708