Async Operations

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

heretic13

Async Operations

Post by *heretic13 »

Hello.

There is a proposal to make a more comfortable thing - namely, add asynchronous operations.

1. When you start the program from TotalCommander running anti-virus and begins to check the EXE-file (if the file is large - about gigabytes, start-up procedure may take several minutes). Either run UAC. As a result, GUI Total Commader a not available. This is very annoying !!

I think this is wrong. The idea of ​​the manager should be such - launched and forgotten!You can show where some indication that the program is trying to start (so that the user saw it and did not start it again). I suppose to do enough to make the call ShellExecute in a separate thread.

2. When using Microsoft LAN resource list sometimes reading procedure can take a catastrophic time during which the GUI Total Commader unavailable. I also think it's wrong. The user can view clock animation - that the request is processed, but the interface should not be frozen. User seeing something that the network does not respond for a long time free to opt out of the network research.

These two mistakes - remnants of the 20th century. Not serios see such programs in the 21st century.
Last edited by heretic13 on 2016-06-24, 23:05 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
heretic13

Post by *heretic13 »

If you run the EXE-file of the Explorer, the Explorer is not frozen.

So the Explorer works better than Total Commader ???
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

1. Thousands of MBs big executable files? That sounds like a weird design choice. And what kind of antivirus needs several minutes to scan them on start?
I'm not against your idea, especially if it's easy to implement. It just seems like a weird edge case.

2. True, true. This has been requested many times. TC9 should have some improvements in that area, though. Have you tried that?
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
heretic13

Post by *heretic13 »

I'm not testing it on tc 9
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

heretic13 wrote:I'm not testing it on tc 9
So any complaints are useless
because there will be no more changes to version 8.x