Sorting view: files and folders mixed instead separate?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

fc62

Sorting view: files and folders mixed instead separate?

Post by *fc62 »

Hello, I would like to know if there is a way to sort by name (Ascending or descending) the view of a list of elements containing files and folders. Let me give an example.
We suppose to have a folder that contains files and subfolders with the following name:
01-Folder
03-Folder
06-Folder
02-File.txt
04-File.txt
05-File.txt
The previous list is what normally we see the sorting of files and the folders (two separated sorted lists).
Is there any way to see the list sorted as a unique list in the following way:
01-Folder
02-File.txt
03-Folder
04-File.txt
05-File.txt
06-Folder
This way to sort files and folders is sometimes very useful, expecially if the name of the elements are dates that need to be check from the older to the most recent.
Thanks!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Hi fc62,
Nope.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Maybe the dir command on a CMD can help. Open a CMD, type

Code: Select all

dir /?
and look for the /O switch that controls the sorting. IIRC there was a very similar topic recently, not sure whether it was in English or German.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
fc62

Post by *fc62 »

Ok, I tryed with CMD and with the code dir/ON I get exactly what I'm looking for.
But I would like to have the same result inside TC so to use it as a standard view. Do you think it would be possible to develop an addon?
I saw that there are some software that have options to shows a complete hierarchical list of the folders and files without separating files from folders.
About the similar topic, I didn't undesrtand how to find it. Sorry, but I'm not so expert...
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

As Hacker already pointed out: Nope, not possible in TC. The dir command is one of the few, maybe even the only, solution for such a task. As for the similar topic, I didn't mean for you to search for it, it was just a remark.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
sorcar

Workaround for sorting folders and files

Post by *sorcar »

The dir command is one of the few, maybe even the only, solution for such a task.
The dir command deprives the very useful information (such as tc comments) if custom columns view is set up. My workaround for this is to select all the files and folders, column copy, and paste it to a text processor or Excel, and sort it. This mixes folders and files and preserves all the info. This at least, is better to view than the DOS way.

For some, the way around may be useful.

Regards,

Sorcar
searchkalliope

sort files and folders together

Post by *searchkalliope »

Hi sorcar,

use "Freecommander XE".

It has several ways to sort files and folders together.

Regards

Kalliope
anmac1789

Re: Sorting view: files and folders mixed instead separate?

Post by *anmac1789 »

I saw that there are some software that have options to shows a complete hierarchical list of the folders and files without separating files from folders.
hello, what software are u referring to which sorts files and folders unmixed and only sorts them with date created or date modified ?? and also what process by which to do it. Please clarify. Thank you