TCWP Refuses to Move Files Across LAN

Currently in public beta: Windows Phone version

Moderators: white, Hacker, Stefan2

Phred

TCWP Refuses to Move Files Across LAN

Post by *Phred »

I've had this phenomenon for some time, but I may be alone with it. No other reports..

When connected conventionally across my LAN - all permissions necessary established, read/write/view etc access okay - I find I can Copy files between my phone and other shares, on multiple computers, but if I try to Move them, only a Copy takes place.
I lose the source selections and have to remember what they were, select them all over again, and delete them.
Move just won't work.
Regards, PhredE
Licence holder since 1999
Awaiting a $D donors-token for the title-bar so we can display that we have donated further.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed moving files isn't currently supported from/to plugins. It's the same as in the Android version: I don't trust these functions enough to enable immediate delete after copy.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Phred

Pity

Post by *Phred »

Ah.
I don't suppose there's a way, then, to retain the selected items' selected status after the action completes.. [?]
Regards, PhredE
Awaiting a $D donors-token for the title-bar so we can display that we have donated further.
HAL 9000

Post by *HAL 9000 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Indeed moving files isn't currently supported from/to plugins. It's the same as in the Android version: I don't trust these functions enough to enable immediate delete after copy.
What about copy + check copy + delete?
smtschmidt

Post by *smtschmidt »

Vielleicht würde es schon helfen, wenn die Dateien nach dem Kopieren markiert bleiben, dann kann man sie in einem zweiten Schritt von Hand löschen.
Phred

Yes, but..

Post by *Phred »

HAL 9000 wrote:
ghisler(Author) wrote:Indeed moving files isn't currently supported from/to plugins. It's the same as in the Android version: I don't trust these functions enough to enable immediate delete after copy.
What about copy + check copy + delete?
That's what I'm implying, HAL9K, when I ask whether or not we can retain the selected status of those files we are obliged to copy. But it goes further...

To Author Ghisler, if you do not trust these Copy and Move functions, should we?
If we copy a number of files (and then lose the selected status of the sources) should we trust even the copying of our files? Indeed, is it not impractical to then check transfers of previously selected files? (Remember with accuracy those files previously selected; flip between sides, align filenames in panels, compare existences, flip back, scroll down, flip again, ad infinitum.)

Is it the whole file transfer or the integrity of the contents of the files that is untrustworthy? If the latter, then it would be very hard to check. To add a 'verify' function to these actions would surely strain the power and speed of our small devices?

Has the issue progressed (Windows Phone & Android) in the months passed?
Regards, PhredE
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The problem is that you cannot know what server is receiving the data - sometimes a server can report that it successfully received a file, although it only received a partial file. I have seen this behaviour with some FTP servers. Therefore I prefer not to delete any files in a copy/move operation.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Phred

Bad copy

Post by *Phred »

Oh dear. This brings entirely into doubt two of the base functions of TC for Android and WinPhone - copy and move - does it not?
It says that we just can't rely on the integrity of file transfer on phones and similar devices.
Can you, Author Ghisler, confirm that this is your position?

It leaves us a long way up in the air with small devices.
Is there an opportunity to verify transers, run MD5 checks, compare byte-counts? Other..?

I believe that this flaw deserves wide publicity, from TC users' point of view, and beyond TC itself.