hung at splash for over 1 min.

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Rainforest1155

hung at splash for over 1 min.

Post by *Rainforest1155 »

Hi,

I've got a strange problem with my TC 6.03a. When I start the program it hangs at the splash screen (normally I've turned it off, but it's the same) for over one minute. Win 2000 Taskmanager shows no activity. It does not matter if the system is started freshly or not.

I don't know when the problem exactly appeared, but when it first appeared, I had installed the game Half Life (comes with bugging Sierra utilities) and Acronis Partion Expert 2003. Thought Partition Expert was to blame and uninstalled it, but did not help. Then Half Life with it's Sierra utilities had to go and my TC worked like a charm again.

Now it has reappeared. I didn't install any programs, at least I don't remember. I was setting up my new notebook and played around with my network settings, that's it. Don't know from where it came this time, but it's really annoying to wait so long before I can use my TC everytime.

I run Win2000 SP4 with 512MB RAM on a P3 1GHz.

Thanks for your help,
Sebastian
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Re: hung at splash for over 1 min.

Post by *Sheepdog »

Rainforest1155 wrote: I was setting up my new notebook and played around with my network settings, that's it.
Possibly you have TC closed with a networkshare in one window. That causes TC to try to reconect this network share - what sometimes could take a real long time (it is the fault of Windows and not of TC)- especially if it's not available anymore.

If this is the Problem you have whether
  1. if 'Configuration->Operation->Save on Exit: Directory' is checked to change all windows to a local drive before closing TC.
  2. or if directory is unchecked select once a local drive in both windows and then open Configure menu and select 'Save settings'.
Hope that will help

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
Rainforest1155

Sheepdog wrote:Possibly you have TC closed with a networkshare in one window. That causes TC to try to reconect this network share
Good thought, but forgot to mention that I had this one already. Also it isn't my Norton Antivirus, I disabled it, excluded the TC-exe and downloaded the expanded TC-exe.

Thanks anyway for the fast answear,
Sebastian
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Another thought: What about plugins? Some of them can increase the loading time of TC immense.
You've got three sections in wincmd.ini:

[PackerPlugins], [ListerPlugins] and [FileSystemPlugins]

To disable the plugins temprorary you have to insert a semicolon at first char in the line of the plugin e.g.

Code: Select all

[PackerPlugins]
;avi =277,%COMMANDER_PATH%\plugin\PK\AviWcx.wcx
disables the aviwcx plugin. Or you copy the whole section to a temp file from where you can reimport it after testing and then delete it.

sheepdog
Douglas Adams
Rainforest1155

Again a great thought, but tried this also by just removing the wincmd.ini temporarily. Just did it again and had the splash screen in my face while writing this post. :roll:

Sebastian
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Rainforest1155 wrote: tried this also by just removing the wincmd.ini temporarily
Removed the right one (you can see which one is used at Help->About)? And if yes checked the one which is used instead? If no wincdm.ini is found TC creates one. But possibly there is an (old) one in %windir%.

sheepdog
Douglas Adams
Rainforest1155

Sheepdog wrote:
Rainforest1155 wrote: tried this also by just removing the wincmd.ini temporarily
Removed the right one (you can see which one is used at Help->About)? And if yes checked the one which is used instead?
Hey, thanks again for the fast answear, looks like you ran the support this weekend. :lol:
TC created a fresh one in the program directory and in windows dir is no wincmd.ini present.

Sebastian
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Rainforest1155 wrote:Hey, thanks again for the fast answear, looks like you ran the support this weekend. :lol:
Right, the Germans are my responsibility today ;) :P

I would try a new install of TC in another directory - with wincmd.ini in the program directory. So you could try if a clean TC installaton starts faster (without change of the current installation). If yes we should think of another source for the delay. If not you have a problem with your system (maybe another AV Program or anything).

sheepdog
Douglas Adams
Rainforest1155

Sorry, but it's the same with the new installation. I'll try again clean boot without anything started tomorrow, maybe I've overlocked something last time.

Good night,
Sebastian
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Another reason could be the following: A file is associated with a program on the network. Totalcmd will extract the icons for all files in the current dir, and if the icon is on the network an inaccessible, the same timeout may occur.

To verify this, you can switch to an empty dir in both windows, then close and restart totalcmd. If this helps, try to find out what file type is causing the problem, by copying such a file to the empty dir, restart TC, etc. Once you have found the problem, you can assign a different (local) icon to the file type.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Rainforest1155

No change after trying it with empty directories.
I rolled back an old windows registry before this all happened and it was fixed. Somehow my Norton Antivirus 2000 wasn't working after this rollback anymore, so I reinstalled it and bang, even without a restart it was their back again.
Now I uninstalled it completely and will see what happened when I boot tomorrow. The strange thing is, that I used the same Norton Antivirus for years and never had problems and now out of the sudden this comes up.
(I already considered the compression issue with the TC exe)

Could this be related with a Win 2000 hotfix? I did not install one a long time ago, up to some days ago, but already removed these again for the registry rollback.

EDIT: Uninstalling Norton didn't fix the problem. Now I really don't know what to do anymore. :cry:

Sebastian
Rainforest1155

*bump*
Problem sadly still exists. Hope somebody has got another idea.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

You know that Norton is the prob so why do you continue to use it?
Some version can't be fully uninstalled and are known to cause errors of all kinds, Google is full of it, just give it a try...

If you use a decent AV app like Kaspersky 5.0 you will have no problems.

Using Norton AV for fighting against viruses is like using ZoneAlarm for fighting against hackers. It just gives up on 80% on all runtime compressed exe viruses so it's only useful IF you want to be infected.

You can make an online check of totalcmd.exe if you wanna be sure that you have no virus Norton AV doesn't recognize:
http://www.kaspersky.com/de/scanforvirus

Icfu
This account is for sale
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Had the same problem! Look here:

http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=4180

I'm more than confident that it's a network related problem. My colleagues where playing around with domains, workgroups and IP addresses of our office LAN when the problem started to occur! Unfortunately I cannot be more detailed as I wasn't the one to be applying the aforementioned changes!
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Rainforest1155

@pdavit: Thanks for the tip, I'll try playing around with my network settings. Maybe this helps.

@Icfu: I'm very happy with my old trusty Norton 2000. Tried onces some other antivirus programs including Kaspersky, but I had some problems with them (don't remember what went wrong).

Thanks for your help,
Sebastian