Need someone encourage me

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Need someone encourage me

Post by *ts4242 »

Hi, all
I have a new TC tool idea but i'm feeling lazy to start
the idea is collect all Total Commander settings under [Configuration] section (taken from TC help) into a list with a brief description (appear in status bar) for each setting and compare this list with the current [Configuration] section of the user wincmd.ini file so you can easily know what settings are present and what are not with the ability to add or remove what you need.

the configuration settings will be included in a file with the program so you will be able add any new setting without waitnig for a new version of my program.

i think such tool will be for expert user only. I have searched for such tool offer this task with the behavior i describe above but i did not found.

i only found "Tweak Total Commander Version: 5.6" which offer the settings that you cannot set via TC Options dialog box. but with a huge text in the interface

Start or Not? this is the question :)
Jqn

Post by *Jqn »

Very good idea :!: :!:

For a lot of time I'm thinking in a option list like "Advanced" in Internet Explorer Options.
Some TC options must have a check box (yes or not), and some others a "radius" selection. (choosing an option between several others).

GO FORWARD!

Joaquin
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

Sounds nice. I personally don't like TweakTC (anyway it's good it exists) just cause its interface.
so you can easily know what settings are present and what are not with the ability to add or remove what you need.
and edit I hope :-)

Start it, please.

BTW: It would be good if you made multilanguage version of this tool (including a brief description of the settings).

There is also another tool:
Windows Commander Expert Options 1.0
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

2Jqn
For a lot of time I'm thinking in a option list like "Advanced" in Internet Explorer Options.
Some TC options must have a check box (yes or not), and some others a "radius" selection. (choosing an option between several others).
my tool will not act like IE advanced tab it will be just a list of all TC settings that can be found under [Configuration] section. and you have to give each key its value manually.

2djk
and edit I hope
definitely YES
BTW: It would be good if you made multilanguage version of this tool (including a brief description of the settings).
as i said "the configuration settings will be included in a file with the program" so you can edit this file and set your won description using your language, moreover you can delete the settings that you can set normally using TC Options dialog box.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

ts4242
This is a very good idea! Can I give a suggestion on the future tool? :D
I think that the most convenient will be if every setting has its own type, for example - string, number, file, set of drives and so on. And for every type there will be its own method of changing of the value: edit box for string, edit box with spin for number, Open File dialog for file, dialog with checkboxes for set of drives. What do you think of it?
And one more interface feature: to show with highlighting the parameters which user has changed, and possibility to cancel changing of every particular parameter before saving.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

Flint wrote:ts4242
This is a very good idea! Can I give a suggestion on the future tool? :D
I think that the most convenient will be if every setting has its own type, for example - string, number, file, set of drives and so on. And for every type there will be its own method of changing of the value: edit box for string, edit box with spin for number, Open File dialog for file, dialog with checkboxes for set of drives. What do you think of it?
And one more interface feature: to show with highlighting the parameters which user has changed, and possibility to cancel changing of every particular parameter before saving.
Oh my God.
I said "such tool will be for expert user only" expert user know what he is doing and how to do it. the new tool can offer some help no more.

you can find some of your suggestions in "Tweak Total Commander Version: 5.6" it is very good tool but its interface need to simplify it.

programming your suggestion isn't diffecult but i need to be different.

i didn't yet configure the final look of the new tool and how it will work. I still have many thoughts and this why i'm lazy to start.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

ts4242
Take it easy, I only say how I think would be better... If the program will only contain the list of parameters - what will be the main difference between it and simple editing wincmd.ini in Notepad? :) But you're the author, you decide...
such tool will be for expert user only
Don't you think that experts don't like conveniences? ;)
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Flint wrote:Don't you think that experts don't like conveniences? ;)
They do after a disc format!!! :P
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

2Flint
If the program will only contain the list of parameters - what will be the main difference between it and simple editing wincmd.ini in Notepad?
the differences are:
1- all TC configuration keys will be under your hand, so you do not have to return to the help to get one that you forget. (remember this list will be customizable so you can add only the keys that you cannot set their value via TC Options dialg box, also you will be able to add the new keys that can Mr. Ghisler add in the future)
2- by comparing you will know what is on your Wincmd.ini and what aren't

2pdavit
They do after a disc format!!!
Expert user always has a backup of his work :wink: :P :lol:
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

ts4242 wrote:Expert user always has a backup of his work :wink: :P :lol:
The issue here was convenience and not data safety!
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
batchman61

Post by *batchman61 »

[quote]so you can add only the keys that you cannot set their value via TC Options dialg box[/quote]

whenever i discover information about such a key i put a line like

; <COMMENT=> <DEFAULT=> <VALUES=>
; <KEY=>

in the corresponding section of my wincmd.ini to document that setting

(set a value and uncomment the line if needed)
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Flint wrote:If the program will only contain the list of parameters - what will be the main difference between it and simple editing wincmd.ini in Notepad? :)
One important advantage to the simple notepad solution is (apart of these ts4242 mentioned already):

You edit only the [configuration]-section and have not to navigate between 2200 lines of code but less than 200 (until now).
batchman61 wrote: whenever i discover information about such a key i put a line like

; <COMMENT=> <DEFAULT=> <VALUES=>
; <KEY=>

in the corresponding section of my wincmd.ini to document that setting

(set a value and uncomment the line if needed)
You can add your coments without semicolon ';' as far as you do not add them to a key-line.
So you could alter your wincmd.ini like
<COMMENT=> <DEFAULT=> <VALUES=>
<KEY=>
and it work still fine. The <COMMENT=> <DEFAULT=> <VALUES=>-line is simply ignored. If you want to change the default value of <KEY> you have only to add the desired value.

BTW in the TC Help index you can find at 4.b a link to wincmd.ini where almost all settings are mentioned and described. So if a new version is released you should have a look at this section of the help.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

Finally i have found my way :D :D :D :D
the new tool will be ready to publish within one week or two at most
it will be amazing I cannot believe how i did it :o