Use (Total)7z plugin in Sync Dirs when SFX/Installer .exe

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Guillaume

Use (Total)7z plugin in Sync Dirs when SFX/Installer .exe

Post by *Guillaume »

As stated in http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=46518 some of this has been successfully addressed with a fix in v9.0a, but I found there were still some problems:

For the sake of the argument (not because of its usefulness, but it happens with a lot of formats opened only by Total7Zip) take *any* Inno Setup .exe file (for instance Malwarebytes). If you press Ctrl-PgDwn, some stuff is listed.

Now extract these files somewhere and try Sync Dirs between the archive and the extracted files.

Result: none of the files are represented on the .exe side.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

It is related to my report too (you can't sync contents of archive opened by Ctrl+PgDn if its extension is not registered with packer plugin). And it is quite unlucky behaviour, especially for EXE files which may be installers, archives etc so it is impossible to associate them with single packer plugin.

BTW 7-Zip and Total7zip can't handle InnoSetup installations, only NSIS ones, for InnoSetup MultiArc+InnoUnp is required.
Guillaume

Post by *Guillaume »

MVV wrote:It is related to my report too (you can't sync contents of archive opened by Ctrl+PgDn if its extension is not registered with packer plugin). And it is quite unlucky behaviour, especially for EXE files which may be installers, archives etc so it is impossible to associate them with single packer plugin.
Yes you're right, that seems to be the underlying issue here. However, it was partly fixed (for 7-zip SFX archives) in 9.0a.
MVV wrote:BTW 7-Zip and Total7zip can't handle InnoSetup installations, only NSIS ones, for InnoSetup MultiArc+InnoUnp is required.
Yes you're right, it just shows a binary blob and some other resources. Nevertheless, it does show the issue at hand.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately this seems to be a limitation of these plugins - TC passes the same paramters for 7zip sfx and other sfx, but the plugins can only handle 7zip sfx.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I'm pretty sure that Total7zip supports most features of WCX API and it handles supported archives properly.
It is not a plugin problem if it doesn't support specific archive format. It seem to be a Sync tool problem: it can't find packer plugin with CanYouHandleThisFileW so it fails to open it while the same archive may be easilly opened in a panel via Ctrl+PgDn with proper plugin.
Guillaume

Post by *Guillaume »

Sorry Christian, hope you can explain a bit further; I don't follow why file listing with details and extracting single files from these SFX files would work perfectly fine from the main window via Ctrl+PgDwn, while it wouldn't work in the Sync Dirs pane. How are the parameters passed to the plugin different in these cases?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This should be fixed in TC 9.10 beta, please test it!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Guillaume

Post by *Guillaume »

Yesss, works!