"Locked, but directory changes allowed" alternative behaviour

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

"Locked, but directory changes allowed" alternative behaviour

Post by *DrShark »

Currently when user leaves the tab locked with directory changes allowed, that tab goes to its root (the exception is an active locked tab with directory changes allowed in opposite panel).

For me perfect would be next behaviour for such tabs:
1. Changed path remembered after user leavs locked tab and restored when user activates it again. Ctrl+\ can be used to return to original locked path (aka locked tab root).
2. After TC restart, all tabs locked with directory changes allowed restoring their original locked paths (go to their roots).
Last edited by DrShark on 2020-02-05, 11:08 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
kppr

Post by *kppr »

I agree, also missing this option in Folder Tabs. I have a lot of locked tabs with changes allowed (only and don't want any mess Smile). For example I have parent folder "Pictures" with subfolders "Sub1" and "Sub2". Folder "Pictures" is Locked, but directory changes allowed. When I work during one session e.g. in "Sub2", then change to another locked tab and then return to "Pictures", result is opened tab "Pictures" instead of "Sub2". I understand it is a "feature", but it would be nice to have an option in Folder Tabs like "Remember subdirectory during session" (default=off). Would it be possible to add something like this in the future?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Support++
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Support++
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3296)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The problem is that the user doesn't see where a tab points to in this case. When he then does drag&drop to the inactive tab, the files don't go to where the tab name indicates.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
kppr

Post by *kppr »

ghisler(Author) wrote:The problem is that the user doesn't see where a tab points to in this case. When he then does drag&drop to the inactive tab, the files don't go to where the tab name indicates.
Thank you for response. If you add to the Folder Tabs an option like "Remember subdirectories during session" (default=off), preferred behaviour/risks will be on the user. Personally don't have problem remember it during one session.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Maybe a mark of some kind on the folder tab to indicate that the shown foldername is not the basis folder. Maybe the asterisk could be underlined when the directory is changed.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
I-Vladimir

Post by *I-Vladimir »

Take my vote to get that option added. Any indication (color or an asterisk at the end of tab name) would be also great.
If drag & drop is an issue, I think it can be deactivated when the root tab folder changed.
Thanks
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

I would even go so far that with a tab "Locked, but directory change allowed" the path is maintained (including after TC restart)
until I restore the original locked path (aka locked tab root) by clicking on the backslash.

Otherwise, I support everything said here, if that brings us just one step further.
I-Vladimir

Post by *I-Vladimir »

Any changes for this feature in 9.20?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, see my reply above.
I-Vladimir

Post by *I-Vladimir »

When a tab is locked with directory change allowed, shouldn't it be treated as a regular not locked tab with "cannot be closed" option? Then when you activate it it has to retain selected previously folder directory, not jumping back to the locked folder. If it is active and clicked (or double) again can go to the locked folder.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, it shows the name of the locked folder in the title (or what the user assigned), so when you click on it, you assume that you would go to that folder.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Tab "Locked, but directory changes allowed"

Post by *tuska »

petermad wrote:Maybe a mark of some kind on the folder tab to indicate that the shown foldername is not the basis folder.
Maybe the asterisk could be underlined when the directory is changed.
I like this idea. In my opinion, instead of an underlined asterisk, a "+"-plus sign [superscript] could also be used.
It could be any character as long as it stands out visually.
Thus, the user would immediately see that the path is active from a subdirectory to a Tab "Locked, but directory changes allowed".

Example:
Tab: *D:TC32-64USB ... D:\Daten\Programme\TotalCommander\TCD_USB-Stick\TC32-64USB\   ("Original" tab and path)
Tab: +D:TC32-64USB ... D:\Daten\Programme\TotalCommander\TCD_USB-Stick\TC32-64USB\Tools\Everything\

* defined directory (New Folder Tab Ctrl+T) --> Tab "Locked, but directory changes allowed"
+ Subdirectories of --> Tab "Locked, but directory changes allowed"

In such a case you could always use drag&drop and display/use in the pop-up window the current path,
i.e. even those of a subdirectory (and not just the path set in the tab).

Thus, the problem mentioned by the author could probably also be defused.

Note:
The colors were only used for the sake of clarity.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

ghisler(Author) wrote:The problem is that the user doesn't see where a tab points to in this case.
When he then does drag&drop to the inactive tab, the files don't go to where the tab name indicates.
The user now sees the path in a copy/move action in the pop-up window and it is recommended for him to ALLWAYS control this,
because he could be in a subdirectory to a Tab "Locked, but directory change allowed"...
In other words, a completely different path could be active under a Tab "Locked but allowed to change directories".