Access Breadcrumb bar and current directory with keyboard

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Access Breadcrumb bar and current directory with keyboard

Post by *DrShark »

Suggestion is to make Shift+L as a default hotkey to access breadcrumb bar (cm_SrcPathFocus). This hotkey isn't used currently, simple to remember (similar to Ctrl+L for address bar access in browsers).

Also I'd like to suggest a different behaviour of Shift+F6 hotkey after applying cm_SrcPathFocus. Currently after cm_SrcPathFocus it still renames file under cursor (except for [..] item), but it's better to make it edit panel path (Shift+F6 does it when focused on [..] item in file panel). This way user will get a bonus hotkey Shift+L+Shift+F6 to edit panel path no matter where file cursor is.

Edit: former topic title: Shift+L default hotkey for cm_SrcPathFocus
Last edited by DrShark on 2021-08-24, 08:50 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Shift+L types L to command line by default. :)

Are you trying to reinvent cm_EditPath command?
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

MVV wrote:Shift+L types L to command line by default. :)
Yes, those default settings... But it's also possible with default settings to get L in command line by pressing RightArrow+L, so it's a duplicate hotkey :)
MVV wrote:Are you trying to reinvent cm_EditPath command?
No, I'm trying to solve following issues:
1. Breadcrumb Bar (cm_SrcPathFocus), great TC feature, but to my view it is almost unusable with mouse and, in opposite, very effective with keyboard. But TC has no default hotkey for it. Windows Explorer has F6 for it.
2. Address bar (cm_EditPath). TC have a hotkey for it, Shift+F6, but it works only when cursor focus is on [..] item which doesn't really help if file cursor is somewhere near the bottom of folder with many files (more than one PgUp click). Again, in Web Browsers there is Ctrl+L, and in Windows Explorer there is F4 hotkey to edit address bar.

Yes, TC users may assign own hotkeys for those cm_* commands, which is usually a way for advanced users. My suggsetion gives more consistent approach for any user being famous with web browsers or Windows Explorer that expects from TC default and simple keyboard way to focus on the breadcrumb bar or the address bar.
Last edited by DrShark on 2017-03-11, 13:00 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

1. Breadcrumb Bar (cm_SrcPathFocus), great TC feature, but to my view it is almost unusable with mouse
Try these settings in the [Configuration] part of your wincmd.ini, it makes the readcrumb menu easy and smooth to use with the mouse:

BreadCrumbMaxWidth=300
BreadcrumbDelayButton=-250
BreadcrumbDelayVirtual=50
BreadcrumbDelayFtp=50
BreadcrumbdelayPlugin=50
BreadcrumbDelayDir=50
BreadcrumbSeparator=0

Notice the "-" at the BreadcrumbDelayButton value
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

1. Breadcrumb Bar (cm_SrcPathFocus) ... But TC has no default hotkey for it.
You are free to assign any one you like.
2. Address bar (cm_EditPath). TC have a hotkey for it, Shift+F6
Shift+F6 is not a hotkey for address bar, it is a hotkey for inplace renaming since DOS file managers. Its behaviour on ".." was added much later.
My suggsetion gives more consistent approach for any user being famous with web browsers or Windows Explorer that expects from TC default and simple keyboard way to focus on the breadcrumb bar or the address bar.
Since hotkeys are overlapped, it is not a good idea to change them globally... And it is terrible sometimes when such global functions change (one of the most annoying examples is that stupid M$ have changed Backspace behaviour in Explorer and browse dialogs from Up to Back..).
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

2petermad
Thanks, tried it, but keyboard still wins. And default delays are perfect for keyboard use.
MVV wrote:Shift+F6 is not a hotkey for address bar, it is a hotkey for inplace renaming since DOS file managers. Its behaviour on ".." was added much later.
It is a matter of point of view. Does Shift+F6 executes cm_EditPath when focus is on [..]? Yes. So it is a hotkey for it, under certain conditions. And it doesn't matter how long this feature exist in TC. It's there now, so it's normal feature like any other.
MVV wrote:Since hotkeys are overlapped, it is not a good idea to change them globally... And it is terrible sometimes when such global functions change (one of the most annoying examples is that stupid M$ have changed Backspace behaviour in Explorer and browse dialogs from Up to Back..).
What hotkeys are overlapped? Shift+L and RightArrow+L? Or Shift+F6 dual function on different kind of items in panel? My suggestion, if implemented, will completely change Shift+L function (leaving RightArrow+L alternative), and slightly change Shift+F6 (it will behave differently only when BreadCrumb is active).

If that is such a trouble, there is a compromise: wincmd.ini parameter to control cm_EditPath behaviour, so it will make possible to call cm_EditPath using Shift+F6 also after BreadCrumb activation. So I could myself assign Shift+L to cm_SrcPathFocus and get Shift+L+Shift+F6 hotkey to edit path after breadcrumb activation.
Pros:
1) Shift+L still behave as usually by default (before user will re-assign it)
2) if BreadCrumb is not active, Shift+F6 behave the same way by default (rename on file, edit path on [..])
3) if BreadCrumb is active, Shift+F6 will edit path. It's really convenient: you make BreadCrumb active with custom hotkey and if then decide to move on path - use arrow keys, or if you decide to edit it in a classic way (i.e. to past a path from clipboard) - use Shift+F6. No need to remember some new custom hotkey for cm_EditPath, just use the same Shift+F6 like on [..] item.
Cons:
1) Explorer has default keyboard hotkeys to focus on BreadCrumb and Address bars, TC still doesn't. But TC has 2 hotkeys to put L letter into its command line, so who cares...
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Please stop calling Right+L an alternative for Shift+L, these are completely different, and both are not even hotkeys, first one is a two-key sequence while second one just sends capital L to TC and depending on TC settings may be appended to command line (default setting) or quick search window (in Letters with search dialog mode) or just instant search (in Letters only mode).

Right key only works in full view mode without changing behaviour of arrow keys, and Right key selects all text in command line so Right+L is not just L, it will overwrite existing contents of command line, you need at least Right+Right+L (or even Right Right Shift+L since Shift+L types capital L). Shift+Right works in any mode but still selects all text in command line so Shift+L will still overwrite existing command line text.

I don't understand why don't you just assign a hotkey for cm_SrcPathFocus, it works just like F6 in Explorer. BTW, hotkey for editing path in Explorer is F4.

BTW breadcrumb bar in Explorer (and in TC too) is quite strange: when I press some its part, it suggest a list of values for next part (e.g. I'm in C:\Windows and open drop-down list for Windows item but it suggests to change a subdir of Windows dir, not Windows dir itself that was clicked). Maybe it is the reason why I don't find it useful, it is easier to change dir in a panel, especially with keyboard...
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

MVV wrote:Please stop calling Right+L an alternative for Shift+L, these are completely different, and both are not even hotkeys, first one is a two-key sequence while second one just sends capital L to TC and depending on TC settings may be appended to command line (default setting) or quick search window (in Letters with search dialog mode) or just instant search (in Letters only mode).
OK.
MVV wrote:hotkey for editing path in Explorer is F4.
Already fixed in my above post.
I don't understand why don't you just assign a hotkey for cm_SrcPathFocus, it works just like F6 in Explorer.
I already assigned it to Shift+L, but what I want is some universal solution that works by default and doesn't depend on other TC settings (and takes into consideration the fact that in corporate environment users just usually don't have rights to change software settings, including assigning own hotkeys). That's why I made another part of my suggestion using the Shift+F6 as default to edit path after BreadCrumb activation.
I agree that whatever-it-is-but-not-a-hotkey Shift+L is not good for BreadCrumb activation because of its current usage in TC, but the point of this topic: address bar, breadcrumb bar, and also mentioned Command Line are core parts of TC interface that are responsible for UX which means default hotkeys to access them that doesn't depend on some other TC settings is something that has to be added to future TC versions.
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Access Breadcrumb bar and current directory with keyboard

Post by *DrShark »

We actually have default keyboard shortcuts to access Breadcrumb bar: Alt+F11 for one in left or higher panel, and Alt+F12 for right or lower one.

So the one feature which is still missing is the way to access path editing with keyboard, and I think my suggestion above:
DrShark wrote: 2017-03-10, 20:18 UTCmake [it] possible to call cm_EditPath using Shift+F6 also after BreadCrumb activation.
is still worth to be implemented.

When BreadCrumb bar is active, file panel is not even active, so I bet new users would expect more that Shift+F6 would edit current directory than a sudden switch to a panel, which is not in focus, and start of file rename there. If user will need to rename file/dir in panel with Shift+F6 while BreadCrumb bar is active, it will be easy to do after BreadCrumb bar deactivation with Alt+F11 or Alt+F12 at first - doesn't look like a big deal to me.