[TC Tool] Save & Restore Color Settings for TC

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Aezay

[TC Tool] Save & Restore Color Settings for TC

Post by *Aezay »

History: In the old forum (eforum.de, RIP) I made a thread where I announced my program TC Color Presets. I will now continue this thread, where you can post new ideas, problems or your own color preset.

About: What the program does it to take a backup of your current color settings for TC, so you can change the colors in TC without loosing the defined colors. You can also use one of the presets included with the program. These presets has been submitted from other TC users, most of them from the old forum.

Warning: This tool will overwrite your [Colors] and [Searches] sections of your WinCmd.ini file. The first time this program is executed, it saves a preset named My Original Preset so just use this preset to revert back to your original colors. Although this backup is made, I would advise you to backup your entire WinCmd.ini just for safety reasons.

Large Font Bug: This bug should be resolved, please confirm.

03.11.23 / Released TC Color Presets v1.2 beta2 - build 274:
> Direct Link (RAR) (152 k)
> What's New (1.82 k)
> Readme (3.29 k)
> Screenshot (7.72 k)
> Newest "Preset.ini" (50.8 k, 26 Presets)

> My TotalCmd Tools Dir
Last edited by Aezay on 2003-12-20, 09:54 UTC, edited 5 times in total.
Of all the planets I've been to, this one is my favorite.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Nice tool, but it killed all my color filters and searches! Fortunately I had a backup of my wincmd.ini. I suggest that you either merge color filters of the color scheme with existing filters, or ask the user whether he wants to overwrite them or not.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Nice tool, but it killed all my color filters and searches! Fortunately I had a backup of my wincmd.ini.

Good try, Aezay, but remember, Christian has backups. Maybe you should implement searching for all wincmd.ini's (assuming Christian didn't change their names) on all disks and change their contents, too.

The challenge continues.

Roman

;)
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Aezay

Post by *Aezay »

Ghisler> Nice tool, but it killed all my color filters and searches! Fortunately I had a backup of my wincmd.ini. I suggest that you either merge color filters of the color scheme with existing filters, or ask the user whether he wants to overwrite them or not.
I'm sorry this happened, luckily u had a backup. As you can see I've added a little warning in my 1st post. I will add a dialog warning about this in the next version.

Hacker> Maybe you should implement searching for all wincmd.ini's (assuming Christian didn't change their names) on all disks and change their contents, too.
haha :mrgreen:
poiuytr

Post by *poiuytr »

Aezay

Preview strongly needed!

<Restart TC> only close my TC but not open it.

Here you are my color presets, if you wish you can include it in your next presets.ini version :)

Code: Select all

[COLORS]
InverseCursor=1
InverseSelection=0
BackColor=12632256
ForeColor=-1
MarkColor=255
CursorColor=-1
CursorText=-1
ColorFilter1=>Dirs
ColorFilter1Color=0
ColorFilter2=>Empty
ColorFilter2Color=10115517
ColorFilter3=>Exe
ColorFilter3Color=8783433
ColorFilter4=>New
ColorFilter4Color=11969144
CompareText=245
CompareTextSel=12240127
CompareBinary=245
CompareBinarySel=12240127
ColorFilter5=>Ini
ColorFilter5Color=2713760
ColorFilter6=>Bak
ColorFilter6Color=9539985
ColorFilter7=>Arc
ColorFilter7Color=119

[Searches]
Dirs_SearchFor=
Dirs_SearchIn=
Dirs_SearchText=
Dirs_SearchFlags=0|00000200||||||||22221|0000
Arc_SearchFor=*.zip;*.rar;*.arj;*.ace;*.ha;*.j;*.cab;*.tar;*.7z;*.zoo;*.lzh;*.tgz;*.gz;*.uc2
Arc_SearchIn=
Arc_SearchText=
Arc_SearchFlags=0|00000200|||||||||0000
Exe_SearchFor=*.exe;*.com;*.bat;*.cmd;*.vbs;*.vbe;*.js;*.jse;*.wsf;*.wsh
Exe_SearchIn=
Exe_SearchText=
Exe_SearchFlags=0|00000200|||||||||0000
Bak_SearchFor=*.bak;~*.*;$*.*;*.tmp;*.swp;backup_of_*.*;*.~*;*.$$$
Bak_SearchIn=
Bak_SearchText=
Bak_SearchFlags=0|00000200|||||||||0000
Ini_SearchFor=*.ini;*.hlp;*.chm
Ini_SearchIn=
Ini_SearchText=
Ini_SearchFlags=0|00000200|||||||||0000
New_SearchFor=*.*
New_SearchIn=
New_SearchText=
New_SearchFlags=0|00000200|||1|1||||22220|0000
Empty_SearchFor=*.*
Empty_SearchIn=
Empty_SearchText=
Empty_SearchFlags=0|00000200|||||0|0|0|22220|0000
Aezay

Post by *Aezay »

poiuytr> Preview strongly needed!
I think the best way to test the example, is to simply apply it and restart TC, u can easily change it back, using your own preset backup. I can easily add a way to preview the presets, without applying 1st.

poiuytr> <Restart TC> only close my TC but not open it.
I remember this 1 from the old forum. It happens because u have the "Allow only 1 copy of Total Commander at a time" switch on, TC won't start because the old one haven't completely closed yet. The workaround is to increase the wait delay in my app, before executing TC again.

I'll see what I can do until the next version....
poiuytr

Post by *poiuytr »

May be some kind of auto backup on first start will be useful?
or exclamation message on first apply?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Or just add the current user's settings as the first item when the program starts the first time! You could call it "Restore my old settings" or so. :)
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

Hi Aezay!
You created very nice plugin but I have some workload for you if you're idle :)
Consider the following as feature requests or ideas to enhance your TC Color Presets manager:

1) Add "Launch TC" button that will launch new instance of TC instead of restarting existing -
to compare two color schemes in action.

2) Add "Preview" pane (maybe to the right of the buttons) and "Preview" checkbox to show\hide it.
It will allow to quickly compare two schemes because launching another TC and Alt+Tab between
them requires more bodily movements. With this pane, one could just double-click between various schemes to compare them.
I would fill it with the following content:
* 1-2 normal lines (not highlighted with any filter)
* 1-2 selected lines
* 1-2 normal lines
* 1 focused line
* 1-2 normal lines
* 1 focused and selected line
* 1 normal line (not sure if it's needed)
* 1 line for every filter in the scheme. Text of line should be name of the filter.
I suggest those 3-7 normal lines (unhighlighted) not only to separate selected/focused but mainly to preview how the most files in TC will look like (personally I don't like presets where almost every file type is highlighted with its own color - too motley).
Currently in your app we cannot preview not only filters but also mark color (if it differs from cursor color - look at berzotax preset for example).

3) And in the end one bug report. I had the following filter:
Debug and Release directories_SearchFor=""Debug." "Release.""
After I stored my scheme and then restored it I got this:
Debug and Release directories_SearchFor=Debug." "Release.
and of course it stopped working.
Aezay

Post by *Aezay »

Valentino> 1) Add "Launch TC" button that will launch new instance of TC instead of restarting existing - to compare two color schemes in action.
Could be very neat, but it wouldn't work for people with the "Allow only 1 instance of TC" enabled.

Valentino> 2) Add "Preview" pane (maybe to the right of the buttons) and "Preview" checkbox to show\hide it.
I'm almost certain that I will add this later, but not right now, maybe in v1.3. Currently you can only see the "limited preview", after you've applied it, adding a real preview box would fix this.

Valentino> 3) And in the end one bug report...
I just use the standard Windows API to read/write the ini files, I don't modify the strings in anyway. I'll look into it though, and maybe find a workaround. I think I've read something about Christian uses his own functions to handle ini files, that's properly why it doesn't happen in TC.
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 05-03-2003 18:36:25 +0000 Aezay wrote:

A> it wouldn't work for people with the "Allow only 1 instance
A> of TC" enabled.

Run it with "/N" parameter, Aezay friend.[/face]
Aezay

Post by *Aezay »

Black Dog> Run it with "/N" parameter, Aezay friend.
Didn't think of that one, thx :D
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 05-03-2003 19:47:14 +0000 Aezay wrote:

A> Didn't think of that one, thx :D

Any time... :D[/face]
outspoken

Post by *outspoken »

There are three things I am noticing here not working for me: (and I have decided to list them in a numbering scheme because it seems people here like that) ;)

1. When I 'Import Current TC Preset' it will tell me 'COLORS section not found in wincmd.ini'.

2. When I 'apply' a color scheme, it does nothing to my TC. I am using Total Commander v5.51 and TTCoIPS v1.2beta2 (b232). (I also am using 'one instance' and have used the /N switch when starting TTCoIPS)

3. I can copy a section from the presets.ini and paste under my [COLORS] section in wincmd.ini and everything will work, except in [Aezay] where ColorFilter1=>#Directories appears as '>#Directories' in TC instead of an actual color. Was this intentionally done as to make it up to the user or is it supposed to be some dynamic function that is not working properly? I would really like to use something like this to change dir colors and other variables.

Well, that is all.. This is a good program if it worked for me, I really like the idea of having themes in TC such as this and until now there has been no way of sharing them. My colors section is very large and it would be nice to have sets to juggle between with a program like this.

Thanks!
Commander Registration #49478

Post by *Aezay »

outspoken> 1. When I 'Import Current TC Preset' it will tell me 'COLORS section not found in wincmd.ini'.
Does my program find the correct ini file? Look at the green panel in the bottom. If yes, it's because u really dont have a COLORS section, which means that u haven't changed ur color layout in TC.

outspoken> 2. When I 'apply' a color scheme, it does nothing to my TC. I am using Total Commander v5.51 and TTCoIPS v1.2beta2 (b232). (I also am using 'one instance' and have used the /N switch when starting TTCoIPS)
Close and open TC manually, I have already fixed this (I think). Opening my program with /N does nothing.

outspoken> 3. I can copy a section from the presets.ini and paste under my [COLORS] section in wincmd.ini and everything will work, except in [Aezay] where ColorFilter1=>#Directories appears as '>#Directories' in TC instead of an actual color. Was this intentionally done as to make it up to the user or is it supposed to be some dynamic function that is not working properly? I would really like to use something like this to change dir colors and other variables.
Have u copied the COLORS section manully or what? If u have cant u just delete the ' signs. I don't modify anything in either the COLORS or Searches sections when I copy them to or from "presets.ini". Maybe this has something to do with what Valentino says in a previous post. But this is really hard for me to debug when it doesn't happen to me. btw. which OS do u have?