File with too long name omitted during copying

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

KoRni

File with too long name omitted during copying

Post by *KoRni »

Hello,

KoRni here. Nice to meet you all :) I'm a long time reader of this forum, but have just registered to post this bug report. I think it would be best to simply describe the situation:
I started two copying operations from a single source - the same set of data was being copied to two different drives. Copy1 was done by selecting folders, pressing F5 and F2 to create a copy queue (more files were about to be added to this queue later on), the Copy2 was initiated by selecting the same folders, pressing F5 and enter (i.e. no queuing, just standard copy operation) and moved to background.

It might be worth to note that if the operations are started at similar moment, the Windows or Total Commander itself synchronizes them automatically, so the file is read only once, and written simultaneously on both targets. Very efficient :)

In the morning there was a standard message regarding one of the filenames being too long - but only from Copy1 operation! The Copy2 just proceeded. I compared targets of both operations and it turned out the Copy2 simply skipped the file without any warning - I think it's really bad.

There, I hope it's easy to reproduce and even easier to fix :)

Cheers!
KoRni
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Actually, when copying in the foreground, TC copies all files it can without asking, and then asks at the end. If you then cancel or skip, the file isn't copied.

If you copy the same files via F5-F2, they are copied exactly in that order which is shown in the queue.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com