moderation please!

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 23-08-2004 21:06:25 +0000 ghisler(Author) wrote:

It looks like I missed the party being on my vacation...

g> If you think that a permanent moderator would have acted
g> earlier, then I have no objections if someone would make
g> this job.

H> Anyways, I started a poll at
H> http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=4816

g> If anyone else would like to volunteer as a moderator,
g> please let me know here in this thread, so I can add
g> you to the poll.

Well, I didn't wanted this forum to be moderated (not from the early beginning, but already rather long time) at all and I have never wanted to moderate it by myself, but if you, Christian, really think it is necessary...

I have read Jedi's poll and have found my nick mentioned as a probable. So please add me too - at least I have an appropriate experience. Talking about experience, if you started all this, it's a good idea to have at least two moderators on English forums and special technical forum for moderators only.[/face]
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

So please add me too
You are in norfie's thread already.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

2 Ralph

> 2. use Christian's time for reading through interpersonal material

That's another reason me need moderators. To take some of Christian's workload of his back.

> 3. indirectly discourage potential new users of TC

How is that?

> I resolved to avoid giving offense to people with different technical knowledge, with different language backgrounds, and with different personalities. I also resolved to deal with any negative remarks by responding only to technical material.

That is good to know but also that's the ideal situation. In practise you never know how you may end up responding under constant provocation. But the problem of course here is not you who can withstand offensive members, or tolerate and skip pass provocative comments and stick so correctly to the technical bit. But those bouncing off, of your so well-armoured shields.

By the way, welcome to this forum. I can assure you that this forum is a welcoming place to be. From the nearly 3800 members I only have complains on just two of them. These are good numbers as you can see or it seems I can tolerate a lot just like you do! ;)
Last edited by pdavit on 2004-08-26, 13:20 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 26-08-2004 01:30:57 +0000 Hacker wrote:

H> You are in norfie's thread already.

Well, Jedi, Christian asked - I answered. I guess only he can decide in such a case, whoever started any polls %).[/face]
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-11, 12:56 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Ralph

Post by *Ralph »

pdavit

"'> 3. indirectly discourage potential new users of TC'"
"How is that?"

The correlation between interpersonal exchanges and buyer reluctance may be small, but here is my reasoning:
If I were trying to decide whether to buy some software package and the hypothetical forum was mostly about interpersonal stuff, I would suspect (perhaps unfairly) that the software was not for serious work, or was difficult to use.
If the hypothetical forum was mostly about "Here are some easy ways that you can have the software do the work that you asked about" and "Here are some features that would make the software even more useful in our work," and the tasks and features sounded relevant to me, then I would think that the software was about getting my kind of work done, and I would look into registering.

I believe that TC is indispensable for getting my work done quickly and correctly, and that is why I care about TC. The forum traffic is mostly task-related, with a moderate amount of interpersonal stuff. Still, I hope for fewer feedback loops with negative outcomes. I would not be embarrassed to have my employer find me reading the forum from work when the forum traffic is about technical tips, but not so for interpersonal stuff.

"'> I resolved to avoid giving offense to people with different technical knowledge, with different language backgrounds, and with different personalities. I also resolved to deal with any negative remarks by responding only to technical material.'"
"... That is good to know but also that's the ideal situation. In practise you never know how you may end up responding under constant provocation. ... But those bouncing off, of your so well-armoured shields. ..."

True, I have not been in every situation. On the other hand, the internet brings nothing more tangible than electrons. I am roughly aware of my own strengths and weaknesses, from years of observing and listening to colleagues, relatives, and friends, so I know when a remark is an outlier. I can disengage; rather than letting my shields heat up, I can de-materialize or step aside for a moment, especially because reading and writing posts allows more time for thought than verbal communication. I believe that I understand the psychological origins of harsh remarks. I know that TC users are intelligent, and will notice if I make a mistake. My eye is on the prize: even more useful features in TC to make my work easier.
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-11, 13:04 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 26-08-2004 14:02:10 +0000 Ralph wrote:

R> If the hypothetical forum was mostly about "Here are some easy
R> ways that you can have the software do the work that you asked
R> about" and "Here are some features that would make the software
R> even more useful in our work," and the tasks and features sounded
R> relevant to me, then I would think that the software was about
R> getting my kind of work done, and I would look into registering.

Well, you should look to that hypothetical forum's history thirst - present day picture can be not representative in general, you know, the same FAQ questions, lazy neophytes who don't bother to use search before asking, long-awaited new version everybody waiting for but no one knows how long lefts to - people became nervous and inadequate. This is absolutely predictable for any hypothetical forum.[/face]
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

2 norfie

> Don't you know the different meanings of you, do you?

1: Do you? Please outline them for me!

> Don't you know the difference between duty and voluntary actions, do you?

Ref. 1

> Furthermore, don't you recognize that another person "proves the opposite" about my behaviour in both threads, do you?

Good you have one follower!

Including your vote we have 2: http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=4820

> I'm sorry, that's not my failure.

Same thing applies here!
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Wilhelm M.
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Wilhelm M. »

2 nevdimka:
Maybe you are right! But the problem is that most people involved in a conflict like to see themselves as pure victims. They only feel the insults they have suffered but are not able to see the insults they have done to others. In my opinion this is the real reason why the present conflict in this forum does not evolve towards a satisfactory solution.

Edit: Seems that nevdimka has deleted his posting... Why? To make my answer understandable: he said that it is "victimizing" what is going on in this forum.
Grüße/Regards,
Wilhelm
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

2 norfie

> IMHO you should ask your english teacher.

i.e. you don't know the answer too! ;)

> We know, crosspostings are a big mistake.

That's not the idea behind cross-posting. But I won't refer you to your English teacher coz this is a provocative action.

end-of-file: No more feeding.
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Wilhelm M.
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Wilhelm M. »

norfie wrote:2Wilhelm M.
Never I had the feeling, that I'm a victim.
So how else did you feel? You were not the completely innocent baby in your "quarrel" with icfu? Then there is hope! :!:
Grüße/Regards,
Wilhelm