HTMLView: all hotkeys suddenly stop working in all instances

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

leopoldus

HTMLView: all hotkeys suddenly stop working in all instances

Post by *leopoldus »

Lister plugin HTMLView: all hotkeys have suddenly stopped working in all instances ot TC. My OS is Windows 7 x64, Internet Exlorer version 11.096.

I tried every of the hotkeys, including "Esc" to close the Lister window, numeric keys [1] to [7] to change the current Lister mode, including [4] to switch to the next plugin, [Ctrl+F] and [F7] to search for a text, [F2] to update, [N] to go to the next file etc etc. Even the system-wide global hotkeys [Ctrl+C] and [Ctrl+A] do not work, although I thought before, that they work always and everywhere. All appropriate commands are still available via main menu (the commands "Select all" and "Copy" are available via context menu as well), but hotkeys are totally disabled. And it is a huge pain for me, as I use HTMLView plugin very much in my work (it is certainly plugin number 1 for me) especially in order to search and copy text fragments in HTML documents - and it is very inconvenient for me to use mouse for these operations. :cry:

I've tried virtually everything to solve the issue. For instance I restarted TC with the default wincmd.ini, also I removed HTMLview configuration files HTMLView.ini and positions.ini. In order to exclude any possible conflict with other plugins or TC settings I installed TC from the scratch in a new folder and added the only plugin HTMLView. Also I tried older versions on Total Commander (8.01, 8.51). The result was always the same: hotkeys do not work in Lister/HTMLview window.

Well, I conclude, that the problem is somehow connected to the OS MSIE (Microsoft Internet Explorer), which is used as an engine by HTMLView. In this event is it clear, that the issue should be a system-wide and is not specific to the TC-instance. But... another plugin IEView uses Internet Explorer engine too, but hotkeys still work in this plugin. Besides what could be the reason, why HTMLView worked until yesterday before and now has suddenly stopped? I've not installed any either system or MSIE update last dates. :shock:

I've found some other topics regarding similar issues at the forum during the last 10 years, but seems, that non of them suggest any solution (for instance https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=22403 , https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=22390 , https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=23509 , https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=35684 ). In some of those cases the proble was resolved by updating HTMLView to a new version, but I already use the last version 1.2.6 (18.12.2011) of the plugin.

Could anybody please suggest any solution? Thank you very much for your help.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

I have Windows 10 and so its not comparable to your environment.
But I guess your problem is not related to TC or HTMLView at all.
You have some other tool running in Background which eats the keys.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
leopoldus

Post by *leopoldus »

Horst.Epp wrote:I have Windows 10 and so its not comparable to your environment.
Sorry, I'm not sure, if I understand correctly your idea. Let's suggest, that some background process catches thous hotkeys globally. Doesn't it mean, that any of them will not work locally in any application? But the same hotkeys set works fine e.g. in IEView plugin.
Furthermore, as one can guess, I surely would not miss the fact, that so-often-used hotkeys Ctrl+C and Ctrl+A work nowhere? The same with single-key hotkeys as "1" or "4" etc: I would not able to write this post, if some process would catch all these keystrokes, am not I right?

Have I missed anything?
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

leopoldus wrote:
Horst.Epp wrote:I have Windows 10 and so its not comparable to your environment.
Sorry, I'm not sure, if I understand correctly your idea. Let's suggest, that some background process catches thous hotkeys globally. Doesn't it mean, that any of them will not work locally in any application? But the same hotkeys set works fine e.g. in IEView plugin.
Furthermore, as one can guess, I surely would not miss the fact, that so-often-used hotkeys Ctrl+C and Ctrl+A work nowhere? The same with single-key hotkeys as "1" or "4" etc: I would not able to write this post, if some process would catch all these keystrokes, am not I right?

Have I missed anything?
There may be as a simple example an Autohotkey makro running
which is only active inside of some TC windows.
Try TC with a fresh ini file and add only the HTMLView plugin for testing.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
leopoldus

Post by *leopoldus »

Horst.Epp wrote:There may be as a simple example an Autohotkey makro running which is only active inside of some TC windows.
Yes, I see. However I've already tried to unload AHK. No any effect.
Try TC with a fresh ini file and add only the HTMLView plugin for testing.
That's exactly the thing which I've started my tests from (look at my first post 3.rd paragraph). :wink:

Once again, I suggest, that the issue is connected rather to MS Internet Explorer than to the specific instance of TC or/and HTMLView. Question is how could I locate and fix the problem.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2leopoldus
I have the same OS and the same versions of IE and HTMLView, and have no problems.

Do you see this section in your HTMLView.ini file?:

Code: Select all

[Hotkeys]
;
; This key contains hotkeys that, when received by the IE window, will be sent to
; the Lister window. Lister hotkeys that are not in these lists will not work.
TranslationHotkeys=1;2;3;4;5;6;7;N;P;F3;Shift+F3;F7;Esc;Tab;Ctrl+Q;Ctrl+P;Ctrl+A;Ctrl+C;Ctrl+Insert;Ctrl+F
;
; This key contains hotkeys that are translated to the Lister window, 
; when text input element is focused 
TypingTranslationHotkeys=F3;Shift+F3;F7;Esc;Tab;Ctrl+Q;Ctrl+P;Ctrl+A;Ctrl+C;Ctrl+Insert;Ctrl+F
;
; Own hotkeys of HTMLView.
; Browser commands: Back, Forward, Stop, Refresh, RemoveImages, HideShowImages, CmdFind, CmdSaveAs, CmdPrint, CmdPrintPreview, CmdPageSetup, CmdProperties, CmdZoomIn, CmdZoomOut, CmdZoomDef
; Zoom may not work on IE6 and lower
;
Z=Back
Backspace=Back
Alt+Left=Back
Alt+Right=Forward
X=Forward
Alt+S=Stop
F5=Refresh
Ctrl+R=Refresh
F2=RemoveImages
Shift+F2=HideShowImages
Alt+Shift+S=SavePosition
Alt+Shift+L=LoadPosition
Ctrl+Alt+F=CmdFind
Ctrl++=CmdZoomIn
Ctrl+Num +=CmdZoomIn
Ctrl+-=CmdZoomOut
Ctrl+Num -=CmdZoomOut
Ctrl+0=CmdZoomDef
Ctrl+Num 0=CmdZoomDef
;
Last edited by petermad on 2017-08-25, 20:16 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
leopoldus

Post by *leopoldus »

petermad wrote:Do you see this section in your HTMLView.ini file?:
Yes, my INI-file has the same section. Furthermore I've restarted TC many times with the original HTMLView.ini from the installer package with all default setting, including this hotkeys section. It has no any effect. :(
I have the same OS and the versions of IE and HTMLView, and hav no problems.
Do you think, that the problem could be connected to HTMLView or TC configuration? I thought, that the issue might be connected rather to OS and MS Internet Explorer than to Total Commander or/and HTMLView plugin. But I hoped that somebody of TC users had already similar problems and found a solution. However I'm not a so advanced user and may be wrong.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Maybe your HTMLViewi is using an .ini file in another location than you expect - where is your HTMLView.ini located? - do you have write permissions to HTMLView.ini (Right-click - Properties - Security)?

You can download my functioning HTMLView.ini here: http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/HTMLViewINI.zip
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
leopoldus

Post by *leopoldus »

petermad wrote:Maybe your HTMLViewi is using an .ini file in another location than you expect - where is your HTMLView.ini located? - do you have write permissions to HTMLView.ini (Right-click - Properties - Security)?
Yes, I have the full permissions, as I'm the only administrator. Besides the file positions.ini in HTMLView plugin folder is updated every on every restart of TC. So TC has no any problems with access to the this folder.

And, once again, this issue regards every of many TC instances on my machine, in spite of its location.
You can download my functioning HTMLView.ini here: http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/HTMLViewINI.zip
Thanks, I have tried your configuration too. But the result is still the same. :(
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2leopoldus
Then I am out of ideas :-(
License #524 (1994)
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Re: HTMLView: all hotkeys suddenly stop working in all instances

Post by *Fla$her »

I observe the same problem on XP SP3 with IE8 with any TC versions.
This also applies to fileinfo.
Overquoting is evil! 👎