Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

mikus

Buggy locked tab changes when network disconnects

Post by *mikus »

to reproduce:

- lock a tab to a folder on a remote drive and give it a name
- go to the tab
- disconnect the network
- I now get the 'connect' modal and after a long timeout I get the 'Drive Not Found' dialog and I have to select a different drive (ie: c:\')

(As a side note - I hate that 'Drive Not Found' dialog and timeout - it is terribly annoying and distracting - is there a way to tell TC not to show them and not to check the tab's connectivity unless I interact with it ?)

- The tab changed to the new location (ie c:\), it now has an icon (of a drive) next to it - I'm not sure what is that icon's purpose.

- so this is now a 'buggy' behavior - I have a locked tab with the name I gave it ie, '*\:netlocation' which in fact shows files from c:\

Thanks!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately TC cannot switch to inaccessible locations. I could show an empty list instead, but this would probably be even more annoying...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
Big support++ for showing either an empty list or some "file" named LOCATION INACCESSIBLE or so. A long time ago there's been a thread in the German forum about this - [wish] leeres cd laufwerk anzeigen.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
mikus

Post by *mikus »

Thanks ghistler

In my situation I work with a lot of remote locations that keep becoming accessible or inaccessible as I switch networks.

The way TC handles this situation ATM is very annoying and I hope can be improved.

If I may I suggest:

- Do not check if the active tab points to a connected location *until* the user interacts with the tab. Since connecting involves an expensive big timeout wait + popup box it should be delayed until as late as possible.

- When the user interacts with such a tab, then do the check+timeout. IF it is inaccessible show some red icon next to the tab title or other UI flag to mark it as inaccessible and that and all subsequent interactions will show an error popup. Do not show the change folder dialog - It is annoying - I want the tab to keep it's location so that when the network connects again it is there and accessible.

- some operations should still available on tabs pointing to an inaccessible location (without any timeout/dialog etc): closing the tab, and changing to a different location by typing into the address bar or switching to a bookmark

- If the current behavior is still deemed useful (I personally think it's not) then the above should be configurable.

Thanks!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

- Do not check if the active tab points to a connected location *until* the user interacts with the tab. Since connecting involves an expensive big timeout wait + popup box it should be delayed until as late as possible.

- When the user interacts with such a tab, then do the check+timeout. IF it is inaccessible show some red icon next to the tab title or other UI flag to mark it as inaccessible and that and all subsequent interactions will show an error popup. Do not show the change folder dialog - It is annoying - I want the tab to keep it's location so that when the network connects again it is there and accessible.

- some operations should still available on tabs pointing to an inaccessible location (without any timeout/dialog etc): closing the tab, and changing to a different location by typing into the address bar or switching to a bookmark

- If the current behavior is still deemed useful (I personally think it's not) then the above should be configurable.
I totally agree, is is annoying that I cannot just close the tab, if I know the connection is not available - but I have to wait for TC to figure that out.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar