Automatically saving settings // Back button top left corner

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

s4t

Automatically saving settings // Back button top left corner

Post by *s4t »

Missing these features heavily

1) Automatically saving in settings the directory TC is currently in. This is literally a must for it. Then the next time you open TC it has to be in this exact folder.

Better even saving the whole history (say 50 last ones) of changed directories

Just the manually saving current position/state or bookmarking current directory (Ctrl+D) is not enough. Damn Windows 10 now reboots your computer without your consent, or crashes due to poor memory management, and you end up with all the information where've you been lost.

2) Back button on top left corner, same like in some browsers or in Settings for MS Windows, so that you can go back to the previous directories

/* Use TC (formerly Windows Commander) for 20 years and recommend it to everyone. Have no clue how people can effectively work without one on so stupidly organized Windows. Always have 6 (!) instances of it open, each for specific problem I am working on, see my desktop on 4K monitor

Image: https://s25.postimg.org/86t59aqgv/Total_Comm.jpg

Mod: adjusted the Subject line.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

s4t,
Automatically saving in settings the directory TC is currently in. This is literally a must for it. Then the next time you open TC it has to be in this exact folder.

Better even saving the whole history (say 50 last ones) of changed directories
Both requests are implemented for years already.
Back button on top left corner, same like in some browsers or in Settings for MS Windows, so that you can go back to the previous directories
Isn't it in the default Button Bar?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
s4t

Post by *s4t »

They are not. Kill TC in Task manager, load it again and you will see.
Hacker wrote: Isn't it in the default Button Bar?
Show where if previous was not done.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

s4t,
Kill TC in Task manager
Well, I usually try to avoid that. But you could use a script which saves the settings whenever the directory changes or every ten seconds or so.
Show where if previous was not done.
I am sorry, I do not understand that sentence.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
s4t

Post by *s4t »

Did you see my screensaved picture that I have 6 TC open simultaneously? Any additional work like scripting is not what I'd want to do.

And this is not what I suggested anyway. The first feature is exactly like all browsers have right now when you choose the option "Start with what you left last time". This saves not just the last tabs in their last state but the entire browsing history of each tab so you can use Back button (my seconds suggestion) to get back in history.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2s4t

In TC it is not the back button but Alt+LeftArrow you use to go back in history (and Alt+RightArrow to go forward).

The History is saved between sessions if enabled in "Configuration" -> ""Options..." -> Operation" -> "Save on exit" -> "Directory history". If this is enabled, TC will start up where you left at the last exit of TC.

BUT - TC only saves the history on exit, not for each directory change.

You can manually save the history at any time with the command: cm_ConfigSaveDirHistory
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
s4t

Post by *s4t »

Petermad,

Thanks for more concise respond.

The Alt+LeftArrow (Alt+RightArrow) actually does not work with the history. First one can do just one step back, but if you hit Alt+RightArrow you may get nothing or a total mess that you will change content of the second panel of TC !

In short, this left - right arrow stuff is kind of a mess to use

The History actually is shown using Alt+DownArrow where you can get the list and chose from it. Adding to that Back button I am asking to add to TC would do the job. All browsers have, most of Windows software have it, so this becoming very intuitive, kind of a standard where TC looks like an obsolete.

And yes, I am exactly asking for the option of saving Settings in each move not at the exit only. That is standard for most of software too. By the way TC by default is saving History at exit, no need to change anything. But the problem is that in case of accidents like a computer crash or WIndows10 mandatory reboot for upgrades, or just you closed TC using x on its corner, ***all latest history is lost***. Imagine that for all 6 my TC! Even larger disaster!!!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

The Alt+LeftArrow (Alt+RightArrow) actually does not work with the history
It works FINE here except when there is an FTP-site in the history and you decline to enter the password for the FTP-sits, then the history might get flushed (I will report this as a bug). Maybe the same could happen if there is a Network share in the history, and you decline to enter the password.

You can add these two buttons to your buttonbar:

Code: Select all

TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA

wcmicons.dll,18

and

Code: Select all

TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA

wcmicons.dll,19

Just copy the green code here above (Ctrl+C), then right click on TC's button bar and click "Paste"
Last edited by petermad on 2017-10-05, 19:17 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

s4t,
Did you see my screensaved picture that I have 6 TC open simultaneously?
Yes, how is that relevant?
The first feature is exactly like all browsers have right now when you choose the option "Start with what you left last time". This saves not just the last tabs in their last state but the entire browsing history of each tab so you can use Back button (my seconds suggestion) to get back in history.
Well, as I said, upon normal exit that is already implemented, upon forced crash it is not. You can either use a workaround or wait.

Roman
s4t

Post by *s4t »

Thanks, The Forward and Back Arrows work OK. My wish is that they should be always present on the toolbar at any installation!

Please also think of adding an option of automatically saving Settings at every change of directory and even making it On by default. The best would be to follow the way all browsers do it right now: they ask how would you like to start your browser - with some defined specific place (define it here) or with the one you used last time?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2s4t
Thanks, The Forward and Back Arrows work OK.
If that is the case, the Alt+LeftArrow and Alt+RightArrow should also work for you - it is EXACTLY the same commands that is used.

Maybe you have a program running that "steals" or modifies the Alt+LeftArrow and Alt+RightArrow key combinations - some Display drivers are known to have that effect.

My wish is that they should be always present on the toolbar at any installation!
If you use the default button bar that is installed with TC these two buttons are there as button no. 8 and 9. :wink:
License #524 (1994)
ALEF

Re: Automatically saving settings // Back button top left corner

Post by *ALEF »

Missing these features heavily as well:
1) Automatically saving in settings the directory TC is currently in.

As a workaround, can someone please propose an optimal way to implement such autosave by some tool, or script which can save settings every e.g. hour?
I mean tool or script internal or external relative to TC.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Automatically saving settings // Back button top left corner

Post by *Horst.Epp »

I use the tool DSynchronize and let its save
*.ini;*.bar;*.cfg;*.xml;*.json;*.conf;*.ahk
from the whole portable TC installation tree.
This includes versioning, so I can go back to some version
or compare the current version of a file with an older one.
http://dimio.altervista.org/eng/
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64