[9.10b3] Directory junction/symlink overlay arrow looks bad

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

grzegorz.kozub

[9.10b3] Directory junction/symlink overlay arrow looks bad

Post by *grzegorz.kozub »

Hi Guys :)

When you set DPI scaling in Windows to something else than 100% (I tested with 200% and 250%) then the overlay arrow icons on directory junctions and symbolic links have that weird bold border or shadow, depending on how you want to call it.

Funny thing is that it depends on the file attributes. The overlay arrows look good as long as the dir junction or symlink has one of these three set: hidden, system, read only. The whole issue also does not exist for file symlinks, no matter the attribs.

Additional clue is that in versions prior to 9.10 the icons for directory junctions and symbolic links were just huge black arrows on white, which I would not like us to go back anyway.

As far as I tested it does NOT depend on the icon size setting (the screenshots show 32x32 and 48x48), showing ! on hidden/system and dimming hidden files.

I found this on Windows 10 Pro 1703 running Total Commander 9.10 beta 1 through beta 3 x64. It's the same on a 1800p laptop screen connected to an Intel graphics adapter and on another PC with NVidia and a 1440p monitor.

Junctions and symbolic links can be created using mklink command.

Let me know if I can be of any help :)

I will post images as soon as the forum robots trust me more :lol:

Thanks,
Greg
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

That overlay is a scaled version of the former big arrow icon. Therefore it doesn't look as good as the real arrow overlay.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
grzegorz.kozub

Thanks! It's definitely good progress compared to the big black arrow in 9.0a :) Can this black frame be mitigated if we have the overlay icon in many sizes so it does not have to scale dynamically? I can help providing the scaled images.
grzegorz.kozub

Here come the screenshots, as promissed earlier:
- 9.0a
- 9.10 beta 3
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, it's a typical resizing artifact. Not much I can do here. :(
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com