Custom keyboard shortcuts not working correctly

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Thany

Custom keyboard shortcuts not working correctly

Post by *Thany »

my laptop doesn't have a numpad, so for things like invert selection, and (un)select group, I need different shortcuts.

At first I assigned the asterisk to invert selection. Doesn't work when I press the asterisk (Shift+8 ). Just doesn't do anything. So then I literally assigned Shift+8 to said command. Works.

Now, this is what I call a workaround. Keyboard shortcuts oughta be layout-agnostic. The asterisk is pressed by Shift+8 on my keyboard, but there are definitely keyboard where that isn't the case. Not that I'll switch keyboards, but more out of principle: why does assigning the asterisk not just, you know, work?

I also need to reassign the shortcuts of (un)select group. Default Num+ and Num-. So I want Shift+plus and Shift+minus. But that really doesn't work. I don't understand why Shift+minus wouldn't work. I have a totally normal minus/underscore key on my keyboard. It's just not the one on my numpad that I don't have. Furthermore, Shift+plus, by TC's logic at least, should probably be defined as Shift+equals, since the key without shift is the equals key. But there's no equals in the list of keys to choose!

So, in conclusion. TC author: could you please replace the Ctrl/Shift/Alt+Dropdown widgets in Options->Misc by a standard Windows shortcut input? The one where you focus it, press *any* modifier+key and it'll register the correct keycode for the application.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

I guess that the / * - + keys in Options > Misc should include a "Num " in their name, that's the only explanation I have.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Thany

Post by *Thany »

That doesn't solve the problem that not all keys are listed in the dropdown. It should really be a shortcut input. Maybe that doesn't quite work for every thinkable combination of keys, but at least it'll work for every non-modifer key that the user happens to have on their keyboard.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Thany wrote:That doesn't solve the problem that not all keys are listed in the dropdown.
True. However, TC doesn't support all possible combinations/keys. In other words: there's a reason why there are not listed more items in this dropdown.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed the asterisk in the hotkey list is the key on the numeric keypad. The asterisk on Shift+8 generates a different hotkey. That's why you have to assign Shift+8 and not * directly.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com