Copying to Sd card or Deleting from SD card not working

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

isrgish

Copying to Sd card or Deleting from SD card not working

Post by *isrgish »

I have a RCA Voyager tablet.

When I try to copy a file to the SD card I get a message "Write Protected!" asking me to select the root of the SD card. When I select it I get a message that its the wrong folder. I tried this a few times with the same results.

The same thing happens when I try to delete a file from the SD card. I guess its the same problem that its seeing the card as write protected.

I also have a RCA Galileo Pro tablet and there the selecting of the root of the SD card works fine.
gmb

Post by *gmb »

isrgish

Post by *isrgish »

I have gone thru that topic, but nothing there worked for me. I do get the message to select the SD card root but when I select I get a message that its the wrong Folder (which its not).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You need to pick the root directory of the SD card, not the directory to which you want to copy the file.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
isrgish

Post by *isrgish »

I do select the root of the SD card.

After trying this with other apps I find I have the same problem with other apps as well. To me it seems that the tablet doesn't recognize my selection to be the root of the card.

If there anything you can help me with it would be greatly appreciated. Now I'm stuck I have no use of the card. Only with the built in file explorer am I able to copy and delete on the card.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, try adding the card as a virtual folder via the entry "User-defined location" with the blue "+" in th home folder. It has some limitations compared to the real directory, but writing should work this way.
isrgish

Post by *isrgish »

I don't see any blue + in the home folder. I do remember seeing it at one point but its not there now.

Another thing I just realized is that when I select the SD card in the dialog, In the place where it should show the name of the SD card I get a jumble of letters instead.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did you perhaps hide it? Please long tap on the first entry (internal memory) and choose "Show all hidden".
Another thing I just realized is that when I select the SD card in the dialog, In the place where it should show the name of the SD card I get a jumble of letters instead.
That could be a problem - some devices have troubles accessing cards with no volume label.
isrgish

Post by *isrgish »

Thanks for that info. i got it back.

Now I added the card through that + symbol, but when I copy to the card through that option I get a message "Error writing to target file!".

It does make a file on the card but the file is empty. If I open the file and write to it it gets saved to the file. This doesn't work if I open the file from the regular way of accessing the card.

Thank You,
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

From where are you trying to write? It sounds like TC can create the target file, but cannot get any data from the source to write there.
isrgish

Post by *isrgish »

I'm trying to copy from Documents in internal memory to the SD card.

I have no problem copying the same file to somewhere else in the internal file system.

Thank You,
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Please try whether it works with a different file manager from the play store, like Astro. If no, then there is a bug in TC which I need to investigate further. If no, then third party apps cannot write to the card on your device (yes, unfortunately there are such devices where this is restricted).
isrgish

Post by *isrgish »

It doesn't work with other File Managers as well. As far as I tested it only works with the File manager that came pre installed on the device.

What I found interesting was that I was able to save files on the card with different apps just not with File managers.

Anyways, I finally rooted my device and now am able to write to the card.

Thank you for all your help.