Propose : Multi rename tool for Android

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

blazerman

Propose : Multi rename tool for Android

Post by *blazerman »

Hello Mr. Ghisler,

Have been using TC Android for quite a while, which also made try TC for Windows too..
Though awaiting discounts to buy a single user license..

TC for Android seems fantastic, But lacks the multi rename tool which is there in TC for Windows..

In android multi rename tool wud be a boon to the users

Thanks in advance
Cheers

Rgds
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes it would, but there is very little space on phone screens - especially when the keyboard is open.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lgmikeg5

Post by *Lgmikeg5 »

A bulk rename facility would be a great help for e.g. cutting of parts of a string of a sound file which has been converted to MP3 and got a name extension ...modCodec.mp3.
Tippfehler

Re: Propose : Multi rename tool for Android

Post by *Tippfehler »

Bump.

Xplore has added bulk rename capability now, so how about TC? :D

The main problem with existing tools is a) inconvenient usage (open, browse here...), b) they sort-of do their job, but inconsistently. I use Batch Renamer (com.giorgioaresu.batchrenamer, not on Google Play anymore) and it works - most of the time. When invoked from TC it adds HTML url encoding (%20 etc.), but it has a simple, clean UI and decent feature set - Save templates as favorites, case conversion, etc. It interacts with apps by Share. What I'm missing is a way to rename files in an orderly fashion, i.e. the sequential numbering it does is totally random. And sometimes, maybe due to memory constraints, the file list is blank.

Why not steal a good idea, and improve upon it?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

The beta version of TC 3.0 has a multi-rename tool now. You can open it via context menu by selecting at least one file.
Tippfehler

Post by *Tippfehler »

The beta version of TC3... thanks, I'll have a look ★

P.S. to clarify "random" ordering - Batch Renamer lacks controls to (re)sort the file list; the "Current name" column is unsorted, i.e. in whatever order Android chose to Share the file paths (most example screenshots online don't show this).

Sequential renumbering should be based on a user specified order - by name, date, whatever - and also the reverse. Oh, and Batch Renamer also has Search & replace features... ;))

I've uploaded a screenshot here:
https://postimg.cc/TyZzwcTB
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can manually sort the items in the multi-rename tool via drag&drop (hold finger on icon, drag, drop).

You can get the beta from the play store here:
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander
Tippfehler

Post by *Tippfehler »

Does it have an Import/Export settings button? ;)

Have joined the Beta program, will in install as soon as Google lets me - clean install, or is update from 2.91 enough, which do you prefer?

And btw, does it need internet access, or do you get reports through the usual, unblockable channels?
Tippfehler

Post by *Tippfehler »

TC3 help: "... Name Mask... The button [] allows..."
"[]" (brackets) looks ambiguous (like the missing character symbol), you should insert a space between the two.

[ ]-button
Whenever I move the cursor in front of text "[N]" in the name mask field and insert any placeholder, it appears after "[N]". (Works properly when typed in, but could you use a shorter naming convention, like %N, or %n? Anyone not using Hacker's keyboard will very much hate typing the brackets...)

"Search for" field is agnostic to capitalization, "screen" gets replaced as well as "Screen" ... hmm.

Placeholders can't be used in "Replace with" field, apparently. When I try, they end up in "Name mask", inserted at the end.

Check box row (modifiers?) looks complicated, will probably be ignored by the uninitiated.
Tippfehler

Post by *Tippfehler »

I see now how the [ ] system makes sense, regex character groups work here...! ★

Thoughts:
^ as a checkbox label for "case sensitive" is bad, since ^ is also a special character
+ buttons should be colored (like in Search menu), to set them apart them visually

Help shouldn't try to connect to Wikipedia, this needs to be delegated to the user's web browser.

... And maybe, in a perfect world, the multi-rename function could be made accessible via Share. At the moment, all TC does with it, is save files as they are. :?:
MicroSuck

Post by *MicroSuck »

At the risk of sounding really stupid, I have to ask something that is clearly so obvious to everyone except myself that reading everything first failed, there was no reason to say it: WHERE THE HELL IS THE MRT BUTTON?
I have wasted entirely too much time pushing every button I can find, over and over, and I can't find one! I love TC, and used the pc version for many years. But I have reached the limits of my patience, now, and ssomething has to give before I have a complete meltdown.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2MicroSuck
There is no multi-rename button by default - you can select several files and then make a long-press on one of the file names, then you will find "Multi-rename" as an item in the context menu.

Or you can add a button yourself:
1. Press the + button (last one to the right in the user defined button row) - if you don't have any user defined buttons already, you might have to press the last button in the main button row first.
2. At "Function type" choose "Internal command"
3, At "Command:" choose "158 Multi-rename tool".
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

"Multi-rename" replaces the normal "Rename" command in the context menu when you select at least one file first. I thought that this would be the most logical location where users would look for it...