usercmd.ini and wincmd.ini location

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JimmyTheBroker

usercmd.ini and wincmd.ini location

Post by *JimmyTheBroker »

Hi guys,

I'm starting this thread in response to petermad's comment within the post:
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=49268&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=usercmd&start=15

1. Are thumbnail files only used for videos? (sorry for the silly question.)

2. What is the following setting for TC>Config..>Thumbnails>Database location (leave empty to disable caching)?
Part of me wants to guess "Default location for icons used on the button bar", but I think I might be wrong.

3. I'm reading through Petermad's comment. what is the default location for usercmd.ini and wincmd.ini
is it the directory that TC is installed in or the C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\GHISLER
Would it be: if the TC installed directory does not have write permissions, then it goes to the AppData\Roaming\GHISLER instead?
I finally get notifications from emails again!!!
So happy!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

The location of the ini-files etc. depends on choices you make during the installation process.

You can always se the location of the ini-files for your current running TC instance via the Menu: Help -> About Total Commander -> INI-files:
1. Are thumbnail files only used for videos? (sorry for the silly question.)
No, they are also used for image files and even for documents and txt files if you have a plugin that supports making thumbnails for such files
2. What is the following setting for TC>Config..>Thumbnails>Database location (leave empty to disable caching)?
It is any location you like. In a fresh TC installation it is set to %$LOCAL_APPDATA%\GHISLER which is the same as: "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Ghisler\" for standard Windows installations
Part of me wants to guess "Default location for icons used on the button bar", but I think I might be wrong.
The icons for the button bar are not stored anywhere - they are taken from whatever source you enter in the button configuration field: "Icon file", but there are cache files for the icons and they are stored in .br2 files which will be located in %APPDATA%\Ghisler which is the same as "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Ghisler\" for standard Windows installations.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
JimmyTheBroker

Post by *JimmyTheBroker »

Regarding number 2,
I meant what is it used for?

my understanding is:
A thumbnail is used as a preview image for a file or dictory or a button.
which is also what an icon is used for.

let me ask this a better way.
what is the difference between a thumbnail and an icon.

thanks again.
I finally get notifications from emails again!!!
So happy!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

An icon is an already made image file often containing the same image in several different sizes.

A thumbnail is a miniature of a bigger image - they are often bigger than icons and they are stored in a database file for use by the viewing program. TC uses these two database files to store the thumbnails: tcthumbs.db and tcthumbs.db.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

There is a point. While the thumbnail cache is correctly located in the local stuff folder by default, the buttonbar icon cache is not.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

the buttonbar icon cache is not.
It seems that by default, if TC is installed in for example "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\totalcmd" and the configuration files are stored in "%APPDATA%\Ghisler" then the first time TC is run, the two default bars: DEFAULT.BAR & VERTICAL.BAR are copied from "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\totalcmd" to "%APPDATA%\Ghisler" and the .br2 files are created there and TC uses the bars from "%APPDATA%\Ghisler"

This is in contrary to the situation where TC is installed in for example C:\totalcmd - then the .br2 files are created in C:\totalcmd.

So - TC always creates the .br2 files in the same directory as the corresponding .bar files - hence not in %$LOCAL_APPDATA%\GHISLER - unless the .bar files are manually put there.

If you use any .bar file for which you have no write permission, then no .br2 file is created.
License #524 (1994)