Search using a list of files?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JimmyTheBroker

Search using a list of files?

Post by *JimmyTheBroker »

Hi guys,

Say I have a list of files, and I grab there file names and paths.
Put it into a program like excel which then removes some from the list (without changing the paths or the file names)

Is it possible to get total commander to select all those entries?
Aka can I import a .txt list of files that exist on a the machine already and then have Total commander manipulate those files?

If so, how? Thanks!
Jimmy
I finally get notifications from emails again!!!
So happy!
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

First of all - learn to use HELP, all the basic concepts and possibilities are explained there - in this case press F1 while you on search window (ALT+F7)
Search in: Here you can enter one or more starting directories, separated by ";". You can now start the search inside an archive.
You can enter the name of a text file (ANSI, UTF-8 or UTF-16, the latter two with BOM) containing a list of files and directories to be searched, in the form @c:\path\filelist.txt. The file must contain one file/directory name per line, either an absolute path, or relative to the location of the list file. The text file now also supports wildcards and regular expressions.
JimmyTheBroker

Thanks,

Another question
I've noticed that the the found files and directories are sorted depending on the last setting of the Tabstop header.

Is there a way to make the files found using the @path\textfile.txt
appear in the same order as the @path\textfile.txt

The only solution I can think of is to make sure the @path\textfile.txt is saved in alephbetical order, and then make sure the Tabstop header is Name(UpArrow) either before or after the search.

thanks,
Jimmy
So happy!
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

Set "Unsorted" (CTRL+F7) prior to perform search.
JimmyTheBroker

thanks
So happy!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Notice that if you use Unsorted on a FAT formatted drive (most USB-sticks) the files will be displayed in the order they were put on the drive - NOT necessarily in alphabetical order as on an NTFS formatted drive
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

2petermad
Wrong!
Did you read carefully entire thread?
When sortorder is set to "Unsorted" prior to perform search from list, search result in window and feeded to listbox is sorted by list order - even on FAT volumes where order of files in directory is complete diffrerent (standalone search doesn't works this way though - due lack of appropriate switch).

Shortly: set sortorder to "Unsorted" prior to perform search from list always retains sortorder of list (AFAIK).
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Gral
My post was ment as a warning, if the user let the Unsorted view stay active, after searching in the list, and then continuing to other directories/drives.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar