Key mapping: Where can I find these keyboard settings?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

CWBillow

Key mapping: Where can I find these keyboard settings?

Post by *CWBillow »

I use a program for keyboard mapping that has a couple of definition that seem to conflict with TC's settings.

I went to try to reset or change the settings but cannot find where they are set.

For instance Shift-Control-N opens an FTP connect window when I am in TC's window, but starts Notepad++ when I am not in TC.

Where can I find these keyboard settings in Total Commander?

Chuck Billow
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

In TC main window press F1, click on section 3.b) Keyboard layout, and you'll get an extensive list of predefined shortcuts. If you want to redefine any shortcuts, see TC options > Misc.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

Also Hotkeys Editor is another way not only to see TC's default hotkeys but also user-defined hotkeys.
CWBillow

Post by *CWBillow »

OK guys. Many thanks.
CWBillow

Post by *CWBillow »

Dalai wrote:In TC main window press F1, click on section 3.b) Keyboard layout, and you'll get an extensive list of predefined shortcuts. If you want to redefine any shortcuts, see TC options > Misc.

Regards
Dalai
When I go to TC options > Misc, Shift-Ctrl-N shows Default command - no remapping.

But pressing that combination opens a FTP window in TC. I saw no way to disable the combination.

Also, that combination on the Windows 10 desktop creates a new folder. There seem to be many conflicting keyboard assignments.

But how can I disable it in TC?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2CWBillow
Shift+Ctrl+N is not assigned in TC but Ctrl+N is (FTP-window) - and if no command is specifically assigned for Shift+Ctrl+N, TC will ignore the Shift modifier key.

You can see all assigned shortcuts in TC in the menu under: "Help" -> "Keyboard" (the help item is placed to the far right of the menu bar)

You can see all manually assigned shortcuts in TC under "Configuration" -> "Options..." -> "Misc." -> "Redifine hotkeys (Keyboard remapping)" where you click the button with a down-arrow on it.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

CWBillow wrote:When I go to TC options > Misc, Shift-Ctrl-N shows Default command - no remapping.

But pressing that combination opens a FTP window in TC. I saw no way to disable the combination.
It seems a bug!!!

CWBillow wrote: Also, that combination on the Windows 10 desktop creates a new folder. There seem to be many conflicting keyboard assignments.

But how can I disable it in TC?
There are two types of hotkey
:arrow: App specific hotkey: the app receive and act to this hotkey when the app is focused, so pressing Ctrl+C in Notepad will copy the selected text while pressing it in TC or Explorer will copy the selected file(s) etc..., here we cannot say there is a conflicting keyboard assignments.

:arrow: System wide hotkey: this kind of hotkey is global and overrides App specific hotkey, no more one app can define the same System wide hotkey e.g. Win+R you cannot use it in TC or any other app.

What is the program you are using for keyboard mapping and how it should work?
Last edited by ts4242 on 2018-02-08, 22:59 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

petermad wrote:2CWBillow
Shift+Ctrl+N is not assigned in TC but Ctrl+N is (FTP-window) - and if no command is specifically assigned for Shift+Ctrl+N, TC will ignore the Shift modifier key.
I was think so too but it is not true, try it yourself.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2ts4242
Ignoring the Shift modifier means that TC treats Ctrl+Shift+N as Ctrl+N. And TC does exactly that. And I doubt that's a bug, but we'll have to wait for Ghisler to comment on that.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Shift+Ctrl+N and Ctrl+N does the same - ergo is Shift ignored - as also Dalai points out.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

petermad wrote:
Shift+Ctrl+N and Ctrl+N does the same - ergo is Shift ignored - as also Dalai points out.
Actually, there are many Ctrl+* and Ctrl+Shift+* do the same thing, it is strange for me.
CWBillow

Post by *CWBillow »

At the same time, how does one define a hotkey as "not defined" so that some \other system wide program looking to control a certain key combination won't\ have any conflicts?
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

CWBillow,
A system-wide program looking to control a certain key combination should not have any such problems unless you run TC as Administrator and the program as a normal user.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

CWBillow wrote:At the same time, how does one define a hotkey as "not defined" so that some \other system wide program looking to control a certain key combination won't\ have any conflicts?
The program you're using should tell you about such conflicts.

AFAIK there is no program can show a list of all defined system wide hotkeys, a program just can tell if the hotkey you are trying to define is succeed or failed (due to it is in use by another program or any other reason).
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2CWBillow
At the same time, how does one define a hotkey as "not defined" so that some \other system wide program looking to control a certain key combination won't\ have any conflicts?
If you mean how to do that for TC's default hotkeys, then that is not possible. You can only redefine hotkeys or add extra hotkeys.
License #524 (1994)