Icfu
This account is for sale
white
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Moderation guidelines discussion

Post by *white »

Suggestions for the guidelines for moderators
  • Concerning the moderator names at the end of point 7 and 8.
    The names are not up-to-date and the links no longer work. I think it is better to leave out the names so the guidelines don't need updating when there are changes in the group of moderators.
  • Remove the line below point 8:
    We and these guidelines, too, are currently at an evaluation level. That means some guidelines can change if it helps to improve the quality of moderation.
  • Remove the line at the end:
    By the way, for those of you who have read the first version of these guidelines, we don't have to use the red color anymore (hooray!), as a Moderation MODification for phpBB has been installed in these forums.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

I ask Christian to oblige moderators to respond to messages and complaints in a personal account. If the moderator ignores the messages, then the question of his suspension is raised.
Any user should have the right to defend their case. If the moderator is unable to explain the logic of his actions and words, then he should be recognized as incompetent.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Fla$her wrote: 2023-07-16, 21:44 UTC I ask Christian to oblige moderators to respond to messages and complaints in a personal account. If the moderator ignores the messages, then the question of his suspension is raised.
Why :?: Someetimes its better to say nothing,
Fla$her wrote: 2023-07-16, 21:44 UTC Any user should have the right to defend their case.
Why :?: This is a forum and NOT a democracy :!:
Fla$her wrote: 2023-07-16, 21:44 UTC If the moderator is unable to explain the logic of his actions and words, then he should be recognized as incompetent.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2023-07-17, 01:55 UTCWhy :?: Someetimes its better to say nothing,
Because it deprives the moderator of permissiveness in making a final decision, what is right and should be regulated by the charter or the set of rules.
Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2023-07-17, 01:55 UTCWhy :?: This is a forum and NOT a democracy
What does democracy have to do with it, if we are talking about the conceptual responsibilities of moderators?
Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2023-07-17, 01:55 UTC :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Very informative. I see it doesn't work out with ignoring in any way? :mrgreen:
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2white
I have updated the guidelines.
Btw, I would appreciate if you and the other moderators would give a short explanation why a post was deleted, e.g. like this

Moderator message

Sample: post removed due to flaming user x
or similar. Most users of this forum are not native English speakers (myself included) and may not even know they offended someone by their wording.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

And it should be a mandatory requirement for moderators that when they have get from a user a flag (and get a reason from the user) for a post , they have to respond to it to the user. This happened to me a few weeks ago and I was very estonished that there was no reaction/answer. It shouldn't be that there is no reaction/response after the reporting to the user, who reported it. Especially when it are personal (user/user) things that don't get any reaction from the moderators.

Joube

Edit: wrong translation.
Last edited by JOUBE on 2023-07-18, 10:26 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-07-18, 08:31 UTC 2white
I have updated the guidelines.
Thanks. I see you removed the outdated links after guideline 7, but you forgot to remove the ones after guideline 8.
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-07-18, 08:31 UTC Btw, I would appreciate if you and the other moderators would give a short explanation why a post was deleted, e.g. like this
I will try to be more clear.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

JOUBE wrote: 2023-07-18, 08:53 UTC And it should be a mandatory requirement for moderators that if you report a post (and justify it), reply to it (and possibly explain why they are not reacting to the reported post).
Reporting a post sends a signal to the moderators that the post might need attention. Then the moderators take action or they do not. Moderators can only close or delete a report. So you don't get feedback other than a possible notification that the report is closed, sorry. If you want to further discuss a post you reported, you can send an email to a moderator or to Mr. Ghisler.
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

white wrote: 2023-07-18, 10:13 UTC Reporting a post sends a signal to the moderators that the post might need attention. Then the moderators take action or they do not. Moderators can only close or delete a report. So you don't get feedback other than a possible notification that the report is closed, sorry. If you want to further discuss a post you reported, you can send an email to a moderator or to Mr. Ghisler.
Especially when there is no visible response on the forum (especially when it comes to personal matters) a response is required, I expect that. Especially since one sometimes gets the impression that different standards are being used to measure things.

(I changed the translation of the above post, please read it again.)

Joube
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

I also believe that if the moderator did not satisfy the complaint or request, then he should justify it in the mail, regardless of how he received the message.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

white wrote: 2023-07-18, 10:13 UTC or to Mr. Ghisler.
If such a thing is necessary, the moderators have failed.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

JOUBE wrote: 2023-07-18, 10:36 UTC Especially when there is no visible response on the forum (especially when it comes to personal matters) a response is required, I expect that. Especially since one sometimes gets the impression that different standards are being used to measure things.

(I changed the translation of the above post, please read it again.)
I have reread your post. I have trouble understanding what you write, but I think you mean that you should get a personal response after flagging a post by using the "Report this post" button. I have just explained to you my understanding of the report system. If you want a response, that is not what the report system is meant for. Furthermore, in general, moderators are not capable of sending a response. A button to send a user an email is not always available to the moderators. But all users can send an email to a moderator through the forum.
JOUBE wrote: 2023-07-18, 11:17 UTC
white wrote: 2023-07-18, 10:13 UTC or to Mr. Ghisler.
If such a thing is necessary, the moderators have failed.
Users always have the option to contact Mr. Ghisler directly, for any reason.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2white
I think you mean that you should get a personal response after flagging a post by using the "Report this post" button. I have just explained to you my understanding of the report system. If you want a response, that is not what the report system is meant for.
Then the option in the report form saying "Notify me: Informs you when your report is dealt with." should be taken away - If the user chooses "Yes" to this option, he will expect to get a feedback.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar