How to restore a missing file 'RENAME' right click menu item

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

jojoke

Post by *jojoke »

Wincmd.ini is already in same folder than totalcmd. I can remove the admin right from the properties compatibility tab (the way I start has admin).
Like I said before the item is not missing in Explorer and I only get this problem on one of my 4 computers.
I also tested your GNU Explorer++ same status the registry should be altered in some way one entry missing not so easy to find.
I will try by comparing on another PC.
Kindly,
Jo
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2jojoke
Could you show us a screenshot from one of the computers, where you do see the Rename item - to compare with the screenshot you already have provided - mate sure that it is for an .ini file like in https://www.dropbox.com/s/qj56m7mx13ykqy4/NO-RENAM-LONG.JPG?dl=0
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
jojoke

Post by *jojoke »

2petermad
HERE IS the image taken on my backup computer (10 years old QX9650)
Taken in the same condition has previously with fresh.ini
=> https://www.dropbox.com/s/zs122uhxmkcp8u9/Rename-present.JPG?dl=0
Normal Wincmd.ini make no difference I have upgraded this PC to 9.12 with a simple copy from my regular PC (6 years old I7-3770K)
The rename is present anyway.

Jo
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2jojoke
Unfortunalely, you didn't make the last shreenshot ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/zs122uhxmkcp8u9/Rename-present.JPG?dl=0 ) with the cursor on an .ini file - to be able to make an exact compare of the associated Shell-extensions on the two computers.

But comparing your two screenshots shows that these Shell-extensions are active on the computer where you do not see "Renommer", and they are not active on your "good" PC:
"Broyer le ficher"
"WinRAR"
"UltimateDefrag"

Almost everybody has WinRAR, so I doubt that this is causing your problem. But try disabeling "Broyer le ficher" and "UltimateDefrag", to see if they are causing the problem.

Is it for all filetypes, that the "Renommer" item is missing?
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
jojoke

Post by *jojoke »

Petermad,
The other entries in the MENU are different on every of my computers. 'Broyer le fichier' I never used it but this was installed by IOBIT Systemcare very new version.
Ultimate defrag is a still usefull tool (not so for SSD's). I do'nt know how it is included in the context MENU. This program was simply present before the initial conversion to Windows 10. It is certainly not conflicting by the way I never used it from the menu where it is not really usefull. A method to remove it from the context menu should be welcome.
Knowing this adding something to the various context menus should be not trivial because I have a long extension of add's to the registry to various non pre-existant variables not 'rename' (normally already present).
How could 'Ultimate Defrag' be disabled this program was never really installed.
On my backup PC this program was a portablenot working version replaced now by simple copy from std PC tho backup PC giving a new working version.
But with nothing added to the context menu (after execute)
Portable versions of a program should minimise the incidence of the registry. I have much more addons on my production PC.
Otherwise the option 'Renommer' is irrelevent to the type of file or folder.
Result context menu on my LAPTOP => https://www.dropbox.com/s/83zgdi1zz1km5or/Capture.JPG?dl=0

Jo
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2jojoke
How could I disable 'Broyer le fichier' & 'Ultimate Defrag' these program(s) where never really installed.
You can use autoruns.exe from Sysinternals suite: https://docs.microsoft.com/da-dk/sysinternals/downloads/sysinternals-suite
License #524 (1994)
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

For shell extensions (COM-Interfaces):
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
see also: http://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/Right_click_menu_%28context_menu%29_crash

For static context menu entries (registry command entries):
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shell_menu_view.html

HTH
Holger
Make our planet great again
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

2jojoke
Just to make it clear: in 64-bit TC, do you have "Rename" context menu item missing for all files and folders, or there are some files or folders (or specific location with files/subfiolders) where "Rename" is present?

And just for test, try to start 32-bit TC (totalcmd.exe) on a PC where there is no "Rename" context menu item in your TC 64-bit (totalcmd64.exe) (if you don't have one near totalcmd64.exe, you can extract it from 32-bit or combined 32-bit/64/bit TC installer, or just update your TC with combined 32-bit/64/bit installer). If the "Rename" item is also missing in 32-bit TC, you can then compare it with context menu called by Christian Ghisler's 32-bit SampleRightClick tool for the same path to folder or file where you have a missing menu item in TC.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
jojoke

Post by *jojoke »

DrShark,
I have it missing 'everywhere' in 64-TC no exception.
And I tested from my Totalcmd folder Totalcmd.exe (so not the 32-64 version installed) but this 32 bit version is 9.0)
Not over-writed from 9.02 64bit alone install?
Anyway in 32 bit version the 'rename' IS PRESENT in the context menu.
And it use the same wincmd.ini has the 64 bit version.

Jo
jojoke

Post by *jojoke »

2Petermad, Holgerk,
I am a user of the SYSINTERNALS but how to render inactive? There is no service associeted or the context menu is started on demand only.
Has you can see with the 32 bit version I have my complete context MENU. Shexvieuw is fine but I have the problem only in the 64 bit TC not File-explorer and on one of my 4 PC's only.
TC 32bit on JPG => https://www.dropbox.com/s/0scex3yxf3tvscd/32TC.JPG?dl=0
TC 64bit on JPG => https://www.dropbox.com/s/6psrcg8s1od0375/64TC.JPG?dl=0

Jo
Last edited by jojoke on 2018-04-09, 15:02 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

Nirsoft shexview, not Sysinternals:
Please follow the instructions from the wiki page to disable menu entries which may be in conflict with the 64-bit TC-context menu.
Some shell extensions are only available as 64-bit version which may explain why your 32-bit TC shows the Rename entry.

Regards
Holger
Make our planet great again
jojoke

Post by *jojoke »

I reinstalled TC 64 from scratch (loosing some of my settings)
Same problem anyway no Rename. I will reload it from backup).
And this time install 32+64 versions.
I do'nt see which to disable from this very long list.
Most concern Office extension / VLC or Windows media player / MSpaint / most extensions of file who can be edited are there.
But these rename capability is always there not for specific system folders and system files with reserved names

Jo
jojoke

Post by *jojoke »

I reinstalled TC 64 from scratch (loosing some of my settings)
Same problem anyway no Rename. I will reload it from backup).
And this time install 32+64 versions.=>Done at least no left over from a previous install the general status is not modified!
I do'nt see which to disable from this very long list from 'shelmenuview'
Most concern Office files extensions / VLC or Windows media player / MSpaint / most extensions of files who can be edited are there
But these rename capability is always there not for specific system folders and system files with reserved names

Jo
Last edited by jojoke on 2018-04-09, 16:15 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Start by disabling all (Non Microsoft) shell extensions that are not visible on your system where the Rename option is present; some of them were already mentioned by petermad here.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
jojoke

Post by *jojoke »

In fact the non microsoft shell extensions where the results of products that I installed on each machine. Sometimes has direct registry entry.
There is no significant difference between them.
Of course my production PC is more loaded. Eg 'Broyer le fichier' is from IObit Advanced SystemCare new version has 3 days.
You suggest that one of theses entries should have replaced the rename item this is hard to believe.
Any way I have a list on my 4 computers Autoruns Explorer TAB.
Also what can be found with the Shelview has text file.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/urcpf0ja2sw9pku/context-menu.rar?dl=1
The ASUS-V-GEN is the only one with this problem.
I realize now that the text entries are in a non confortable format sorry for this. Also comments (french) sometimes.
Thanks for your help but this problem is not completely new (it has one year or more maybe). And is not catastrophic 2 workaround exist.
I ham not a developper but worked 15 years ago has PC support.
Kindly,
Jo