Scrolling large file, TC jumps by huge amount of lines

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

s4t

Scrolling large file, TC jumps by huge amount of lines

Post by *s4t »

Last 5 years or so there was introduced one very annoying bug into process of viewing large files. If you open large file with 1000s of lines and start scrolling its content with the mouse wheel then the process of scrolling down goes OK but when you stop and start scrolling text up the TC jumps by huge amount of lines up or even till the top line of file. This essentially makes mouse wheel useless.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

There was never such a bug in my TC history.
I have a log file with more than 99000 lines (Size 150MB)
and this scrolls in Lister with no problems or delays up and down.
You may have some strange mouse software or Lister plugin.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Scrolling large file, TC jumps by huge amount of lines

Post by *Stefan2 »

s4t wrote:Last 5 years or so there was introduced one very annoying bug into process of viewing large files. If you open large file with 1000s of lines and start scrolling its content with the mouse wheel then the process of scrolling down goes OK but when you stop and start scrolling text up the TC jumps by huge amount of lines up or even till the top line of file. This essentially makes mouse wheel useless.
How or with which tool do you "viewing large files"?

About how many "1000s of lines" do we talking about at minimum? (how many MBs? or GBs? of file size)

Which kind of text does that files contain? Script language?

How does it works opening that files in a good text editor (not notepad.exe)?

Which OS, which bitness architecture do you use?
Which TC version in which bitness architecture do you use?

Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

In addition to Stefan's questions: Do you use any Lister plugin?

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
s4t

Post by *s4t »

No, I do not have any plugins.

Just open with viewer F3 any regular large text file and just watch more carefully otherwise you may not notice that. All people scroll mostly down or up. What you need is scroll somewhere on the center and start scrolling down then scroll up.

Please try again. The error occurs on the moment of changing direction, on your first scroll up immediately after scrolling down, up-down-up-down by the one click of the wheel !!!

On regular editors all works like usual, moving mouse wheel down-up-down-up-down by one single scroll click the text (usual ASCII text) moves one line down - one line up - one line down ...

One TC viewer scroll up-down-up-down jumps by 20 or 100 lines. Looks like the larger file the larger jump

/* Did anyone noticed, by the way, that TC is the only forum which screws you up if you edited several times your posted text during half an hour or so? If you edited text 3-4 times during this time fixing your typos and adding stuff TC may post the text your edited 3 editions back !
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

I still can't see any problem with scrolling, and I do that a lot, even in large text files, even with quickly switching scroll directions. Disable "Smooth-scroll list boxes" option in SystemPropertiesPerformance.exe and see if that helps.
s4t wrote:/* Did anyone noticed, by the way, that TC is the only forum which screws you up if you edited several times your posted text during half an hour or so? If you edited text 3-4 times during this time fixing your typos and adding stuff TC may post the text your edited 3 editions back !
Never had such problems, in any of my almost 6000 posts. Try clearing your browser cache, or even a new profile to see if the issue occurs there.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

s4t wrote:No, I do not have any plugins.
/* Did anyone noticed, by the way, that TC is the only forum which screws you up if you edited several times your posted text during half an hour or so? If you edited text 3-4 times during this time fixing your typos and adding stuff TC may post the text your edited 3 editions back !
I often correct my postings shortly after the first post to change typing errors.
Never had such problem after editing a post.
Most of the time I use Chrome sometimes Firefox.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

On regular editors all works like usual, moving mouse wheel down-up-down-up-down by one single scroll click the text (usual ASCII text) moves one line down - one line up - one line down ...

One TC viewer scroll up-down-up-down jumps by 20 or 100 lines. Looks like the larger file the larger jump
Windows default setting for scrolling is 3 lines at the time - so maybe you have changed the setting to for example one screen at the time, and your other editors override Windows setting, but TC abides to it. Check your mouse settings.

I have never noticed this, and I very often make fixings of typos several times (I am a bad typist).
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
s4t

Post by *s4t »

No, SystemPropertiesPerformance did not help.

Please try again, gays, use very large text files, 100 MB in size or so. On small ones like 100 KB I do not see any problems. The effect starts from the beginning you start scrolling down....down...down few pages and immediately as you change the direction of scrolling to UP the cursor returns to the beginning of the file
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

s4t,
Do you have the cursor enabled?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2s4t
I tried it under Windows 7 with a file that is an export of the entire Registry database (365 Mb). This file is in Unicode, after converting to ANSI it is 177Mb. I cannot reproduce it with either of the two files.

I also tried on Windows 10, here the Unicode files is 413 Mb an the ANSI file is 207 Mb. I cannot reproduce the bug here either.

But, I noticed that on this pretty slow Windows 10 laptop pc there is a delay stopping scrolling a Unicode or a UTF-8 file after I stop turning the scroll wheel - the scrolling is not performing in real-time. But that also applies to much smaller Unicode files, so apparantly the decoding of the Unicode file slows down the scrolling. This only applies to 64bit TC - 32bit TC scrolls in real-time also with Unicode files.

I made some more tests on other slow laptops scrolling Unicode or UTF-8 files with Windows XP (32bit), 7 and 8.1. On Windows XP there are no speed problems. On Windows 7 (the same PC as XP) there is a micro-delay when scrolling with 64bit TC and no delay with 32bit TC. On Windows 8.1 I see the same delay with TC 64bit as under Windows 10 (and the Windows 8.1 pc is a faster pc than the windows 10 pc) but still no delay with TC 32bit.

I all cases where I see a scrolling delay with TC 64bit with Unicode files, changing from ANSI to ASCII makes the delay much less pronounced. I am using default font settings in Lister. Also I am not using text wrapping and have the text cursor shown in all tests, but changing those two setting does not make a difference.

2s4t
Did you check your mouse wheel settings as proposed earlier?
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2petermad
A delay is one thing. But did you experience any jumps s4t mentioned?

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Dalai
No, as i wrote in the first paragraph: "I cannot reproduce it with either of the two files."
License #524 (1994)