Forum Software Management: Registered Username Death-Dives

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Phred

Forum Software Management: Registered Username Death-Dives

Post by *Phred »

Imagine one of those old movies where a railway line is blown up ahead of an onrushing train, approaching at speed. It has no time to stop and takes a death-dive hundreds of metres into a ravine far below.
'The Bridge On The River Kwai' is one that comes to mind as I write.

As written about here - Jimmy The Broker is a recent example - many attempts at registering usernames for this forum end in death-dives of carefully chosen and beloved epithets - because the confirmation emails disappear into the universe's ether, never to be seen again.
The said usernames themselves, lie decaying and dormant, if not dead, in the bottom of an inaccessible ravine, retrieval and resuscitation impossible because of the confirmation messages' disappearances.

Would it not be possible by this forum's kind burghers to periodically release usernames that have not been validated via their confirmation emails?
Once submitted, attempted username registrations are locked by the forum until the non-existent confirmations are addressed. Very Kafkaesque.
Very Catch-22.

I presume that the phpBB software holds the usernames, because they're recognised and refused, and therefore I would think that some means must be possible to release them.

Could unconfirmed registration usernames be released after a while?
Regards, PhredE
Licence holder since 1999
Awaiting a $D donors-token for the title-bar so we can display that we have donated further.
Phred

Re: Forum Software Management: Registered Username Death-Dives

Post by *Phred »

Phred wrote: 2018-04-30, 15:39 UTC Imagine one of those old movies where a railway line is blown up ahead of an onrushing train, approaching at speed. It has no time to stop and takes a death-dive hundreds of metres into a ravine far below.
'The Bridge On The River Kwai' is one that comes to mind as I write.

As written about here - Jimmy The Broker is a recent example - many attempts at registering usernames for this forum end in death-dives of carefully chosen and beloved epithets - because the confirmation emails disappear into the universe's ether, never to be seen again.
The said usernames themselves, lie decaying and dormant, if not dead, in the bottom of an inaccessible ravine, retrieval and resuscitation impossible because of the confirmation messages' disappearances.

Would it not be possible by this forum's kind burghers to periodically release usernames that have not been validated via their confirmation emails?
Once submitted, attempted username registrations are locked by the forum until the non-existent confirmations are addressed. Very Kafkaesque.
Very Catch-22.

I presume that the phpBB software holds the usernames, because they're recognised and refused, and therefore I would think that some means must be possible to release them.

Could unconfirmed registration usernames be released after a while?
Could unconfirmed registration usernames be released after a while? This new forum might offer an opportunity.
Regards, PhredE
Licence holder since 1999
Awaiting a $D donors-token for the title-bar so we can display that we have donated further.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Forum Software Management: Registered Username Death-Dives

Post by *petermad »

Support. It would also give the person who originally tried to register the name a new chance - maybe the email address was just misspelled - no chance to correct that as it is now.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar