Configuration setting

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

YanaymisCV

Configuration setting

Post by *YanaymisCV »

Hello everyone. I am new in this, and this is the first time that something like this happens to me.
I do not know why each time I open TC 9.1 in other PCs from my USB, I have to set up the configuration because TC loses the previous configuration. This never happened to me with previous TCs.
Now the configuration is always in
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\GHISLER

How can I make a dinamic configuration so that I can open TC from my USB without losing the configuration like before in previous TCs.
Thanks and have a nice day everyone.
:oops:
siealex

Post by *siealex »

We are not so S.M.A.R.T. as we imagine...
YanaymisCV

Post by *YanaymisCV »

Is there any possibility programmers fix TC in a way that the new one TC 9.1 be able to read the ini file dynamically like previous versions?
I think that if previous versions like 8.2 did it so good, why is it impossible for a newer to do it.
For all of you that are programmers is ok, but I know nothing about it.
Clients are not programmers.
Please could you help me to fix this problem
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

2YanaymisCV
I don't believe there has been any change to TC's behavior.

Do I understand it correctly, that you have wincmd.ini in your portable TC directory and that it contains setting "UseIniInProgramDir="? If yes, have you modified the file recently with Notepad or other text editor? The file could get corrupted and that may cause TC to ignore it. The "fix" would be in repairing the configuration file or creating a new one from scratch.

But if you don't understand how TC works, it may be easier to follow the link provided by siealex and create a new portable copy of TC.

umbra
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
YanaymisCV

Post by *YanaymisCV »

thank a lot all of you are very kind.
I will learn. Moreover, I would like to know well about pluging, which to install because the old TC had the plugins by default but in this TC 9.1 I have to install all of them. and the quick view shows me the pictures bigger than the box and VirDirSize does not look so pretty.
What can I do?
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

2YanaymisCV
TC never had any default plugins. Maybe you were using some unofficial (and unsupported) TC distribution?

And regarding specific plugins: everyone adjusts TC to his own liking. Different people need/prefer different settings and plugins. If you know how to download and install plugins, use whatever plugin you need for your work. If not, or you need help with a specific plugin, try asking in its support forum in Plugins and addons: devel.+support (English).

umbra
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

BTW,
YanaymisCV do you still have that old TC installation that used to work for you and contained all plugins/settings that you liked?

umbra
YanaymisCV

Post by *YanaymisCV »

yes
YanaymisCV

Post by *YanaymisCV »

But the TC of the year is better than last year
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

USB sticks | tc2usb tool | USB installer | Portable

Post by *tuska »

2YanaymisCV
I would suggest you the following:

1.   https://www.ghisler.com/download.htm -> 64-bit+32-bit combined download -> and install version 9.12 of Total Commander

2.   https://www.ghisler.com/usbinst.htm -> Download tc2usb tool as already suggested by siealex
2.1 Read pt. 1. from the website carefully:
2.1 ... copy an existing installation of Total Commander including all plugins and settings files to an USB stick. ...

3.   Download-file: tc2usb.zip -> Ctrl+PgDn opens the zip-file in the same panel -> read the file "readme.txt"
3.1 double-click on "tc2usb.exe", then click on "Next>"
3.2 Install to: e.g. I:\TC (the folder "TC" does not exist yet), "Create 'starttc.exe' in the root (quick launch program)" is ticked
3.3 click on "Next>" - "Copy settings from desktop version:" is ticked, check the fields "General" and "FTP:"
3.3 "Copy plugins from desktop version" is ticked
3.4 click on "Next>" - "Check the plugins which you would like to copy to USB:" is shown
3.4 make your choice [by clicking on one of the buttons below], then click on "Next>"
3.5 Ini Files: "The following settings files were found in the same directory as wincmd.ini may contain plugin settings.
3.5 Please check those which you want to copy:" - make your choice [by clicking on one of the buttons below], then click on "Next>"
3.6 "Start copying"-window appears - check the content, then click on Button "Next>" to start installation."
3.7 the window should now show the following: "Installation complete! You can now run Total Commander via
3.7 Start->Run with the Command: I:\starttc.exe" -> starttc.exe was created in the root-directory of I:\
3.8 The folder "TC" was also created. In this are now the program files and plugins [the selected].
3.9 In wincmd.ini under section "Configuration" ... UseIniInProgramDir=7 was automatically added
4.   Click on "Finish"

5.   Copy additionally existing folders, which are in the original installation directory, to the "destination" I:\TC, but before...
5.1  check the following: "Configuration" - "Options..." - "Operation" - "Copy comments with files" should be ticked(!),
      so that the file comments created with TC are preserved (Edit Comment... Ctrl+Z)! - Allways remember this rule...!
      OR
5.2 make an "Asymmetric"-synchronization (left: original installation directory, right: "destination" I:\TC), but before...
     check the following: "Configuration" - "Options..." - "Operation" - "Copy comments with files" should be unticked(!),
     so that the file comments created with TC are preserved (Edit Comment... Ctrl+Z)! - Allways remember this rule...!
     ATTENTION: Be careful not to overwrite your .ini files in I:\TC! (wincmd.ini -> UseIniInProgramDir=7 is necessary for portable use)!
5.2.1 in "Synchronize directories" window the following buttons should be ticked/pushed: Empty directories, Asymmetric, Subdirs;
5.2.1 Show (see Tooltip): Files to copy from left to right, Unequal files, Files to copy from right to left, duplicates, singles

6.   Double-click on starttc.exe
6.1 Check the buttonbar to see if the icons are visible - if not, then right click on the button, click on "Change..."
6.1 click on "OK" - the icon should then be visible in the buttonbar (if not, then check the path in field "Icon file:"...)
6.2 Make relative paths from the absolute paths to use TC portable (where possible), e.g. for example
6.2 %COMMANDER_PATH% ... this is where your installation files (TOTALCMD.EXE, TOTALCMD64.EXE) are located --> I:\TC
6.2 I:\TC\Plugins\wcx\TreeCopyPlus\ is the same as %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wcx\TreeCopyPlus\ (but the latter is "portable")
6.2 See: https://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/Navigation Pseudo environment variables
6.2 Please see also: TC-Help (F1) - search for: Environment variables ... (2. Internal Total Commander variables: ...)

7.   Check: Configuration - Options - Thumbnails - Thumbnails: general => Database Location ...? /// ... and TreeFileLocation= ...
      viewtopic.php?t=49246

8. If you have a portable TC version on a PC and a portable TC version on an USB-Stick *), then this might still be of interest to you:
    In "Synchronize directories"-window create this entry in the middle field (between the paths): | tcthumbs.*
    This prevents the files "tcthumbs.db" and "tcthumbs.idb" (image preview) from also being synchronized with the USB stick.

*) This has the advantage that in an "Asymmetric"-synchronization (see: pt. 5.2) both versions (on PC and on USB stick)
        can be easily adjusted and you have a backup.
        In this case (TC only portable on PC - uninstalled TC), I am not quite sure if this entry should be made in wincmd.ini ...
        under section "Configuration": InstallDir=%COMMANDER_PATH% - I would make the entry.

If an installed version of TC already exists on the PC and a USB version is created by it, then in wincmd.ini from the USB-Stick
        this entry: InstallDir=xxxxxx should either be commented out, i.e. an apostrophe can be placed at the beginning of the line
        or the entry should be deleted.

Personally, I have made the installed version portable by simply adding UseIniInProgramDir=7 in wincmd.ini
        under section [Configuration]. After that I made the mentioned adjustments. I did not remove the installation of TC.
        For me, the installation directory of TC is also the installation directory of the portable version.        
        The reason for that was that I did not want to servicing 2 TC versions (except asymmetric syncs).

These instructions makes no claim to completeness - further suggestions are welcome :-)

Good luck!

Regards
Karl
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

But the TC of the year is better than last year
You should just install your new TC 9.12 over your old TC, then all settings and plugins would be preserved and still work - why have you installed TC 9.12 to a new directory?

To Moderator - there is no bug here - this thread should be moved.
Last edited by petermad on 2018-05-03, 07:23 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

[mod]Moved to the English forum.

Hacker (Moderator)[/mod]
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
YanaymisCV

Post by *YanaymisCV »

Thanks a lot and excuse me for being late I ve had no time to read my emails.
Thanks for all once again
if any doubt I will write you guys.
Thanks
YanaymisCV

Post by *YanaymisCV »

I did not know that I could install TC in the same directory!!
Wilhelm M.
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Wilhelm M. »

But the installer offers you the possibility to update an existing TC installation or does it not? If you choose the directory of the existing version, TC is simply updated. This works even if you have a portable installation, only in this case the installer usually does not find the directory itself and you must insert the directory name manually.
Grüße/Regards,
Wilhelm