[Implemented] [TC 9.20] New string for attributes from opposite panel

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

[Implemented] [TC 9.20] New string for attributes from opposite panel

Post by *petermad »

Right now strings 1331="LEFT: " and 1332="RIGHT: " are reused for the new feature in TC 9.20 in the "Change attributes dialog" for loading the attributes from the file under the cursor in the opposite panel ( http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/attributesopposite0.png ).

This string is in AllCaps in most languages, and in my oppinion AllCaps on a button does not look nice.

Since there already is another new string in TC 9.20 (string 6034) that will require translation, I suggest a new string ("...in opposite panel") for this feature so it could look something like this:

http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/attributesopposite1.png

- and keep the button in the same position all the time, in stead of placing it left or right to the "Load from file under cursor" button - depending on current active panel.
Last edited by petermad on 2023-05-25, 13:25 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
yong

Post by *yong »

I think the layout of these two buttons could be further improved by placing them inside a surrounding text box called "Load from file under cursor...", and their strings changed to "in current panel" and "in opposite panel" respectively. This would make the purpose of these two buttons more self explanatory.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2yong
Good idea!
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately "in opposite panel" would be much longer in other languages. And I couldn't put it on the left/right side depending on which side is the current panel.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Unfortunately "in opposite panel" would be much longer in other languages..
So? Make the dialog itself larger (its width in particular). And, speaking of the "Change attributes" dialog: It's really annoying to input something in an edit box that's only a little more than 100 pixels wide, so you can't really see what you're typing. In short: this dialog has been small long enough anyway. It would be even better to make the dialog resizable.

Sorry, Peter, for kind of hijacking this thread.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

would be much longer in other languages.
Then use yong's suggestion - it requires less space on the two buttons together ("Load from file under cursor" becomes "In current panel", so the left button can be made smaller.
I couldn't put it on the left/right side depending on which side is the current panel.
There is no need for that, not even in the current implimencation, and definitely not when current/opposite is used in stead of LEFT/RIGHT.
License #524 (1994)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, I don't think that any of these suggestions is better than the current one. With my current implementation, the user can see with one glance from where the data is taken.

I can convert the LEFT/RIGHT strings to lowercase, though. Or maybe use new strings "From left" or "From right", which would have the same effect.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Umm, I guess I might be missing something, but why don't we use something like:

Code: Select all

[>] [Load from file under cursor]
and

[Load from file under cursor] [<]
?

A bit cryptic, admitted, but no translation issues.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Or maybe use new strings "From left" or "From right", which would have the same effect.
That would help - especially if it meant that we could get rid of the (2) hotkey - this is the only place in TC with parenthesized hotkeys except for Chinese and Korean locale. The first time i saw "RIGHT (2)" I wondered what (2) was for - people using alphabets are not used to this approach.
License #524 (1994)
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

petermad wrote:That would help - especially if it meant that we could get rid of the (2) hotkey
Alt+2 has one advantage: it's the same in all keyboard layouts. Offtop, but indeed I would prefer a number or other language-independent character as a hotkey for MRT's [=?] Plugin speed button which can't be reached with a Tab key (see this topic).
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

Here is a mock up derived from yong's suggestion. It is look better and self explanatory than before, also there is more space for long strings.

If there is no planning to add new strings then you can replace "Left panel" and "Right panel" with "LEFT" and "RIGHT"
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Here is a mock up
Splendid!
License #524 (1994)
yong

Post by *yong »

ghisler(Author) wrote: I can convert the LEFT/RIGHT strings to lowercase, though. Or maybe use new strings "From left" or "From right", which would have the same effect.
From the discussions above I wonder if Mr Ghisler could consider this approach:

- Load from file under cursor from... --
|                                      |
|    ----------         -----------    |
|    |  LEFT  |         |  RIGHT  |    |
|    ----------         -----------    |
|                                      |
----------------------------------------
Some merits of this design:

1. Simple, straightforward and easy to understand.

2. It's easier to program since the two buttons don't change their positions and functions regardless of the current active panel.

3. The text on the buttons includes only one word which is short enough in all languages to allow the two buttons to be arranged side by side.

4. Strings 1331 and 1332 can be reused for these buttons.

The downside is that a new string (for the group box) must be added in the language file.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

The downside is that a new string (for the group box) must be added in the language file.
It will also be necessary with new strings for Left and Right, in ordder to provide them with hotkeys in all languages - but I think it is worth it.

I know that new translations usually takes a long time to get from all translators, but since there is already one other new string (6034) that will require translation, i think it is wort the while.

In case of missing (delayed) translations, maybe use lowercase of string 1331 and 1332 if the new strings does not exist in the .lng file - we will then be missing the hotkeys - but that should be blamed on the translator, not Ghisler.
License #524 (1994)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2yong
That's a nice idea! I could even re-use "Load from file under cursor" from the old button for the title. Then translators would only have to translate "From left" and "From right" for the buttons. This way I could also give them hotkeys. What do you think?

Furthermore, I should probably make the button for the current panel wider than the button for the inactive panel. Or maybe use
"From left (1)" "From right (2)"
when the left panel is active, and
"From left (2)" "From right (1)"
when the right panel is active.

This way the hotkey to load the data from the file under the cursor would always be Alt+1. And I could even keep the old hotkey from the old checkbox for the combobox, because users would be used to it...