Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

TomTomturnaround

2018-05-01 Release v 2.91 beta 2

Post by *TomTomturnaround »

What the heck!

"history.txt" tells us
2018-05-01 Release v 2.91 beta 2
- but then all the (direct) "download links" seem to lead to v2.90-final.

Any clue as to where from to get those latest betas? Apart from the (somewhat unfortunate) fact that all these latest releases are offered still under a main entry that says "2.72 final"?

TomTom
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
TomTomturnaround

Post by *TomTomturnaround »

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. Your link worked like a charm!

Would you mind telling me/us where you got this info from? And how are average users supposed to find out about the (hidden) location in the future?

Google Play-Store you say? No way! At least not for me! First they do not have any "betas" at all but second and foremost I am not going to connect to the "center of espionage" and therefore have banned the Play-Store-app from my Android. But there is this perilous trend that more and more 3rd-party-apps won't work any more without it. In my mind an alarming tell-tale sign that they engage in some nefarious "phoning-home"-activity.

But I would hope that Mr. Ghisler - from all people - would never go down that path!

Thanks

TomTom
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

The most important links are on
http://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/Total_Commander_for_Android

Beta version of Total Commander for Android can be downloaded from Google Play using a link https://www.ghisler.com/betatc

Currently all Total Commander for Android public betas and stable releases at first go to Google Play, since it's the main distribution channel (stable versions then released on ghisler.com too). They currenlty are not announced on a forum.

Christian Ghisler's plugins stable versions are released on Google Play and ghisler.com, and still sometimes announced on a forum, but their beta announces (with changelogs) are usually Google Play-exclusive (although the apk files for plugins beta versions may be available for download on totalcommander.ch too).

As far as I understand, Christian Ghisler decided to focus on Google Play because it saves a lot of time needed to announce everything on ghisler.com and ghisler.ch (it matters because TC4A is a hobby project), and also the updates from Google Play come to its users autmatically (which also reduces the traffic for Christian Ghisler's own servers.)
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708