Focus Pause button while uploading (FTP) or copying data

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

hayk

Focus Pause button while uploading (FTP) or copying data

Post by *hayk »

When you upload files through FTP (or just copy files), a dialog opens with two progress bars (the upper one shows file copy progress, the lower one shows the whole process), and two buttons: Pause and Cancel.

This kind of operations are almost never cancelled, while the Cancel button is focused by default. I find it very dangerous because I have already had many difficulties with it. You forget to shift-tab and focus the Pause button instead, every time. Especially when you’re uploading/copying large amount of files or large capacity of data and you work with two monitors (or your laptop with second monitor), and you are busy with something else on the one screen, while upload/copy operation is running on the other one, it is very dangerous. So, often you are not aware of which of these windows is active. And when you press Escape, Space or Enter buttons to do something on your second monitor, the FTP-upload operation just stops (it’s impossible to restore it again) if your Total Commander window is active.

Today I was busy with copying 200MB of files through FTP (it takes almost 2 hours), and it was 99% done. Suddenly I press Space to pause my video on my second monitor, and I didn’t know my Total Commander window was active. It stopped the upload operation. It’s like you want to cry. Because when you want to repeat this operation, you either have to to overwrite all files or skip all existing files, and it takes more time.
Set the Pause button focused by default, please! This is so important.

Thank you!

P.S. I agree you get the second dialog asking wether you want to continue with the upload operation, and even if you click Yes to continue, you get another error message, and it aborts the operation. This is another problem.

P.P.S. After focusing Pause Button as a solution, the Escape key still remains dangerous.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I think it is not safe to change default focus because some people may get accustomed to current behaviour...

I suggest you to edit your language file and add an ampersand to the "Pause" string for shortcut, or (if you use internal English) you can create empty WCMD_CUSTOM_ENG.lng file with following line:

Code: Select all

1480="P&ause"
1481="Re&sume"
Then switch to this language file and pause your downloads using Alt+A shortcut and resume them using Alt+S regardless of focused buttons.
hayk

Post by *hayk »

MVV wrote:I think it is not safe to change default focus because some people may get accustomed to current behaviour...

I suggest you to edit your language file and add an ampersand to the "Pause" string for shortcut, or (if you use internal English) you can create empty WCMD_CUSTOM_ENG.lng file with following line:

Code: Select all

1480="P&ause"
1481="Re&sume"
Then switch to this language file and pause your downloads using Alt+A shortcut and resume them using Alt+S regardless of focused buttons.
When I suggest to set focus on Pause button, I don't mean Pause button is more important than the Cancel button. Not focusing any button would also be a solution. Believe me, I'm one of the most accustomed users, and I use TotalCommander since 1999 (if not earlier), when it called Windows Commander. This is a delicate functionality, that does not have any useful effect. On the contrary, I definitely assure that focusing the Cancel button has the opposite effect. Ok, that's my opinion. However...

P.S. Any other solution would be great, if it could solve this issue. But as long as Cancel button stays focused by default, it is not user-friendly, like it's supposed to be. Especially and mainly when we are talking about workspace with multiple monitors.

P.P.S. Or if I misunderstood your answer, if you mean that way you can focus the Pause button, for instance, then it's also enough for me (if I'm the only one with this problem).
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I suggested a solution where you don't need to focus a button in order to click it.
You need to pause? Press Alt+A.
You need to resume? Press Alt+S.
You really want to cancel? Press Alt+C (or Esc).
You don't care which button is focused, you just press the same keyboard shortcut (Alt + an underscored letter).
hayk

Post by *hayk »

MVV wrote:I suggested a solution where you don't need to focus a button in order to click it.
You need to pause? Press Alt+A.
You need to resume? Press Alt+S.
You really want to cancel? Press Alt+C (or Esc).
You don't care which button is focused, you just press the same keyboard shortcut (Alt + an underscored letter).
Do you mean this will prevent Cancel button from being automatically focused by default, when this progress-bar-dialog opens? Because that's what I have problems with. As a focused button is clicked when pressing Space or Enter buttons (Windows behaviour)
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

No, this won't prevent focusing Cancel button, but this will allow clicking required button w/o Space or Enter.

If you can accidentally press Space or Enter, you should have problems not only with this specific window, so changing default focus only here definitely won't help you. :)
hayk

Post by *hayk »

MVV wrote:No, this won't prevent focusing Cancel button, but this will allow clicking required button w/o Space or Enter.

If you can accidentally press Space or Enter, you should have problems not only with this specific window, so changing default focus only here definitely won't help you. :)
I don't understand why you think it definitely won't help me, because as I already said, I use Total Commander very frequent, and I even don't use any other FTP-manager, and this is the only program I have problems concerning Space and Enter behaviors. It's only about the user-friendly interface. When you copy files/folder using windows explorer, their Pause button is focused by default instead of the Cancel button (just checked). That's maybe the reason why I never had problems with it. I don't want to push anyone with my suggestion. Ghisler is the boss of their software (incredible software, anyway), I just tried to post a tip about an uncomfortable behavior. They decide if it's a good suggestion or not. If Cancel button still is focused by default (in the future), this problem will remain. That's it.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I just want to say that you can't modify all software where you can accidentally press a key... It is how dialog windows work: some button is usually focused, so Space may press it, while Enter is always presses default dialog button.
hayk

Post by *hayk »

MVV wrote:I just want to say that you can't modify all software where you can accidentally press a key...
Yeah, you're right. However, when bad software does not develop it doen't matter, but when you put good software together with bad software, it's very sorry..

I hope you're not responsible for the UXD @Ghisler nor for support & feedback, because such an inhouse-feedback would really amaze me. Because in that case you just kind-of try to fight against yourself.

Thank you, anyway. I don't think there's a reason to talk further about this issue. Like I said. I've posted my opinion only with a good intention. I even tried to substantiate my point of view as much as it makes sense. Unfortunately it turns into a "narrow" dialog between me and you.

Whatever, thank you MVV for your reactions.
Last edited by hayk on 2018-05-23, 19:20 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
hayk

Post by *hayk »

And I wish you the best.