Win10 v1803 b17134.81 Nearby Sharing not working in TC 9.12?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

M10

Win10 v1803 b17134.81 Nearby Sharing not working in TC 9.12?

Post by *M10 »

Just updated Win10 to v1803. In TC64 when I right-click on a file to get the context menu and then select "Share", it doesn't popup the Nearby Sharing dialogue box that shows when I do the same thing in Windows' File Explorer.

Does that happen for anyone else and if not, any ideas why it doesn't work for me? Have already tried running TC as Admin but that didn't work either.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Microsoft has removed the home group from the latest Windows 10.

Edit: It looks like Microsoft forgot to remove the menu items from the context menu. The Explorer has the same problem.

You need to use the normal sharing function (share for specific persons) or via Properties - Share.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
M10

Post by *M10 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Microsoft has removed the home group from the latest Windows 10.

Edit: It looks like Microsoft forgot to remove the menu items from the context menu. The Explorer has the same problem.

You need to use the normal sharing function (share for specific persons) or via Properties - Share.
Isn't Nearby Sharing (introduced as a feature in v1803) the replacement for Home Group?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

???
My Windows 10 spring creators update doesn't have that. Where can I find it? Do I need to enable it somewhere?
M10

Post by *M10 »

It only works when sender and receipient computers both have the 1803 update (see "support,microsoft,com/en-au/help/4091344/windows-10-share-things-with-nearby-devices" - I had to replace the dots with commas because this board doesn't allow first timers to insert links). It's settings are in Windows Settings->System->Shared experiences.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, I see - in order to support the latest 2 Windows 10 versions, I have the Spring creators update on one and the fall creators update on the other PC.

But if it doesn't work, there isn't much you can do - I'm showing the Explorer context menu, and the rest is handled by Windows.

There is one thing you can check: If there is a ^ character in the title bar, TC is running with higher user rights (elevated, as Administrator). Many Explorer functions do not work in this case. Try running TC with normal user rights, and check whether it works then.
M10

Post by *M10 »

When I noticed the Windows 1803 Nearby Sharing feature didn't work under TC, I was running TC as a normal user - but neither does it work under TC as Admin. However when accessed through File Explorer, the layout of the "Share" dialogue is clearly different to the usual Explorer context menu so, as you say, Windows must be reserving it for itself.

No problems - just thought I'd bring that small incompatibility with the 1803 update to your attention and hope to see it integrated into TC in future. Cheers!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I see - it may be a gerneral Windows 10 bug. Does it work for example in the right click menu of notepad.exe (file open dialog)?
M10

Post by *M10 »

You may be on to something there - in Notepad's File->Open dialogue box, there is no "Share" option in its r-clk context menu.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have tested this now weith multiple Windows 10 computers, one with the Spring update, and one with a newer insider preview. I can confirm that nothing happens when I choose "Share". The error returned is "Invalid window handle". The problem is that the function to call the share dialog, DataTransferManager.ShowShareUI, is reserved to Windows Store apps. I don't know how the Explorer does it, it isn't a store app - probably some undocumented Windows function. :(
M10

Post by *M10 »

Sooner or later someone in the tech community will figure out how to tap into that feature and "share" the knowledge... As the replacement for HomeGroup sharing, it could see a lot of use by home users.