A few questions about TC from a returning user

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

teeceeuser

A few questions about TC from a returning user

Post by *teeceeuser »

I'm a newly returned user of Total Commander. I used to use it a lot many years ago, and after a long break I'm back!

I'm not sure yet what has changed in the last few years and I would be grateful for some information on the following matters.

1. Regarding addons and plugins I know that there is a dedicated section in the Forum, but maybe my question fits better here. I noticed that some addons and plugins are listed on TC's website, but others can be found elsewhere too. Is it advisable to use only those addons/plugins listed on TC's website or are other websites considered also safe?

2. Some plugins are said to be for either the 32 bit version or the 64 bit version. My installation lists two executable programs in the Program Files directory: TOTALCMD64.EXE and TOTALCMD.EXE. How does affect how I may install and use addons/plugins?

3. Are there any skins or themes that one may use for TC?
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

TC's website list only a few example what is possible and may be not up-to-date.
Before using a Plugin or Addon, best for you is to search the forum for user experiences and usal used download links.

The 32-bit Plugins could work with both 32- and 64-bit TC. (with exceptions on special requisites for 64-bit)
The 64-bit plugins work with 64-bit TC only.

If you run the 64-bit TC, only 64-bit plugins may work, maybe some 32-bit too but not guaranteed.
If you run 32-bit TC, only 32-bit plugins work.

Since for your case, both apps (32+64 bit) share the same INI configuration file
with the same plugin installation information,
you may best stay with one plugin bit version only.

The 64-bit TC is IMHO only need if you want to see (access) every place (file, registry) from your system.
(EDIT, add explanation: there are some new places on 64-bit WindowsTM, not existent on 32.bit systems. See viewtopic.php?t=25743)
Otherwise just use the 32-bit TC.

It IS possible to run two TCs side by side with different INIs, one 32 and another 64-bit.
But that is another story.

3. No. But there may be work arounds.

EDIT, add explanation
Last edited by Stefan2 on 2018-06-22, 17:03 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
teeceeuser

Post by *teeceeuser »

Thank you Stefan2 for your detailed answer. I think I'll start using 32-bit TC and move to the 64-bit version only if it becomes necessary.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

teeceeuser wrote:Thank you Stefan2 for your detailed answer. I think I'll start using 32-bit TC and move to the 64-bit version only if it becomes necessary.
I don't agree with Stefan2.
Its confusing what he says about plugin compatibility.
Simply TC x86 can only run 32bit plugins
and TC x64 only runs x64 plugins (there are exeptions using a wrapper).
Only a x64 TC allows all possible access in a x64 OS in an easy way.
It also has more OS resources (eg. Memory) available.
For me the only good reason using a x86 TC in an x64 OS
would be missing an important plugin not available as x64.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3447)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I use 32-bit TC mostly and have no problems with it (redirection is a known issue and have workarounds). I think the only real limitation of 32-bit TC in 64-bit Windows is available memory, but I don't use plugins that eat so much memory so I've never get into a situation where 32-bit TC was out of resources.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

MVV wrote:I use 32-bit TC mostly and have no problems with it (redirection is a known issue and have workarounds).
Same here. I have both versions installed, and use TC x64 only for things I have to do as admin or rarely to get around the redirection stuff. The advantage is that TC 32 bit runs everywhere (except WinPE x64), so no need to think whether or not TC can be run on system X or Y.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2teeceeuser
Most newer TC plugins installs as both 32bit and 64bit no matter which version of TC you are running, so for trhese it isn't a problem to decide which TC bitness to use. I advice that you have both TC versions installed, using the same setup file (wincmd.ini). TC will automatically use the right plugin (*.w*x or *.w*x64). This way you can also use older 32bit-only plugins, or the very few 64bit-only plugins, by running either 32bit or 64bit TC.

You will find the biggest collection of plugins at http://totalcmd.net which should be safe to use.

There are no skins for TC, but you can use your Windows setting to get the look you want. And there is a lot of other settings that influences the look of TC - my TC http://madsenworld.dk/wincmd/tc9win7en.gif probably doesn't look much like yours.

Regarding what has changed in the last few years you could look in the history.txt file - just filter out all the "Fixed" lines, so you only have the "Added" features - the it is manageable.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar