Copy / Move: leave the questions to the end

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

McVitas

Copy / Move: leave the questions to the end

Post by *McVitas »

Hello this is something incredibly annoying and I wonder why nobody tried to push a change in Total Commander to fix this.
Imagine a common scenario: I want to move a big folder with pictures and movies or whatever stuff from one drive to another. I press F6, enter and go away expecting this to take a while (especially over the network for example) Then I get back after few hours and WTH! I see that the operation stopped after few minutes on some silly question like "do you really want to delete hidden file Thumbs.db?" Come one Ghisler, you are telling me nothing was happening the whole time only because of this one silly file I can't care less about? :-) But the solution and prevention of such annoying situations would be so simple! Here are my proposals of possible solution to this:

- make a checkbox in the move file(s) dialog window like "don't ask while moving hidden/read only files"
- don't ever ask this question for certain files like thumbs.db who's function is well known for many years and which is in every folder containing images on a windows OS
- if there is a question like this requiring user to confirm deletion of read only or hidden file, DON'T pause the moving operation until user answers! Leave the question prompt on the screen but continue moving other files! That would essentialy mean if I go away and then get back expecting the operation to be done I would just answer all those questions AT THE END of the whole operation so no time would be wasted (files in question would be moved last)

Does that make sense? I paid for Total Commander and proudly have my name in the window title, so please consider this very useful feature which could save so much time, electricity and nerves ;-)
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

- make a checkbox in the move file(s) dialog window like "don't ask while moving hidden/read only files"
There are already options and checkboxes like this.
You just have to enable them ...
#5767 Personal license
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

wincmd.ini -> section [Configuration]
SkippedFileCopy=100
F1:4.b wincmd.ni wrote:SkippedFileCopy=1
1: First copy all files where the user doesn't need to be asked and skip all with errors, ask at the end
0: Copy all files in order, ask for confirmation when needed
>=100: Like 1, but sets number of milliseconds at start during which the user will be asked too (default 5000)
Introduced with TC 8.50
Any confirmation for an action after the first 100 ms will be delayed after the rest of the nonconflicting operations are done.

Regards
Holger
Make our planet great again
kwirk

Post by *kwirk »

would be great if there were a similar entry for the snyc function
#55664 personal license
McVitas

Post by *McVitas »

really this is there? But why do I need to manually search for wincmd.ini and add a line there? :o Why can't it be just in GUI settings? 99.9% of people don't read change logs or start with 8.5 already so they have no idea!
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

Imagine a setings dialog offering all possibilities of what you may tweak inside wincmd.ini.
Most people would not find the needed settings either.

By default the time span is 5 seconds. You only need to tweak this in some special cases (e.g. start operation and leave TC immediately).

Regards
Holger
McVitas

Post by *McVitas »

HolgerK wrote: By default the time span is 5 seconds. You only need to tweak this in some special cases (e.g. start operation and leave TC immediately).

Regards
Holger
By default this does not happen at all and you have to activate this feature by finding wincmd.ini and adding a line there...
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

HolgerK wrote:
F1:4.b wincmd.ni wrote:SkippedFileCopy=1
1: First copy all files where the user doesn't need to be asked and skip all with errors, ask at the end
0: Copy all files in order, ask for confirmation when needed
>=100: Like 1, but sets number of milliseconds at start during which the user will be asked too (default 5000)
Would be a bug if the default values are not applied in case of missing SkippedFileCopy in wincmd.ini.

Regards
Holger
xaviermdq

Re: Copy / Move: leave the questions to the end

Post by *xaviermdq »

Hi! Is there a way to activate this behavior for copy/move tasks (using F2)? That is, continue with the next items in the copy/move list.
miskox

Post by *miskox »

This makes me wonder: is there a list of *all* wincmd.ini settings (with explanation) anywhere? In the TC help? Sticky note in the forum?

Thanks.
Saso
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

miskox wrote: 2021-02-23, 08:28 UTC In the TC help?
Yes.

If you noticed a wincmd.ini setting missing from TC's help, report it as a help/documentation bug in the bugs section of this forum, unless it has already been reported, of course. Sometimes, though, the documentations for a group of settings are condensed into a "catch-all phrase", like for instance, the BtmX,BtmY,... settings are not listed individually but grouped in the help into "Btm*", since the individual coordinate settings X/Y/DX/DY are already explained within the same INI file section. There are certainly ample ways in which the documentation could be improved, but what was the saying about software developers and writing documentation again? ;-)

As an aside, it would probably have been better to ask this question in its own topic instead of (mis)using an existing topic that at best appears to be only tangentially related to your question.
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

miskox wrote: 2021-02-23, 08:28 UTC This makes me wonder: is there a list of *all* wincmd.ini settings (with explanation) anywhere? In the TC help? Sticky note in the forum?

Thanks.
Saso
Also check Ultra TC Editors' configuration editor. It gives explanation of ini settings and also shows all supported setting, even those that are not existing in your current .ini files. Very helpful for editing settings in TC.