Find Files (Alt-F7) VERY slow to open. Please help.

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

aviasd

Re: Find Files (Alt-F7) VERY slow to open. Please help.

Post by *aviasd »

I have posted on something similar here
This was general slowness in all dialogs that TC opened.
I found out that 32bit TC on 64bit machine is much slower in opening.
In my case, there were also various processes that were hooking to window creation and causing the slowness.
After all attempts, the slowness was still apparent and I ended up with reinstalling windows from scratch. My guess is that at some point I made some change to windows itself which caused the slowness.
I also noticed that with higher windows 10 builds there was a slight slowness increase, ended up with 1903.
I would suggest trying with a clean machine with your current settings, then a clean profile and so on, if it's small, it could just be a different process, hope you wouldn't resolve to my final solution...
What will Total commander be like 10 years from now?
Tc 9.51 Final, #351732 Single, Win7x64
Filarski

Post by *Filarski »

I have exactly the same problem now. New computer, fast CPU, and the most recent Windows 10 installed. For whatever reason the longer the computer is running, the longer it takes for the Find dialog Box (alt-F7) to appear. Eventually it takes about 5 seconds or even more. The speed of the search itself isn't affected though, only the appearance of the Find Dialog Box.
I didn't have any problem with my older Windows version and older computer (2018), by the way. Is seems to be a problem with more recent Windows 10-builds (1903 or so and up).

But I eventually found a good and fast solution.
1. Press CTRL-SHIFT-ESC (taskmanager)
2. Under 'Windows processes', scroll to "Windows Explorer". Right click and choose "Restart"

That's it. After this, Alt-F7 is snappy again! It takes about five seconds to do and even much faster with a shortcut I made on my desktop. Works like a charm!
Shortcut command: "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c taskkill.exe /f /im explorer.exe && start explorer.exe".
(this kills explorer.exe and restarts it. I really takes half a second. It just refreshes the explorer-module).

Of course it's also possible to make a simple batch-file:
taskkill /im explorer.exe /f
start explorer.exe
exit
Filarski

Post by *Filarski »

I forgot to say: the process "Windows Explorer" I mentioned is not to be confused with Window's filmanager of the same name (the 'Explorer')!
drax

Post by *drax »

I have been experiencing the same issue. takes 3 sec for the Search dialogue to appear. I tried killing explorer.exe and starting again as @filarski advised but no joy. Still slow to open...Strange. Any other suggestions?
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2drax
Do you use dark mode in TC? Does it happen with a fresh wincmd.ini?

Code: Select all

totalcmd.exe /i="%TEMP%\fresh.ini"
Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
miskox

Post by *miskox »

Maybe you could use Sysinternal's Process Monitor (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon) to see elapsed times?

(use filter to show only TC)

Saso
olluz

Post by *olluz »

What seems to help a little is to add TC as an exclusion in the SmartScreen settings as described here.
In my case I've excluded the process name "TOTALCMD64.EXE". Not sure about the implications this might have on security, though.

Network drives seem to slow down the dialogue creation, too.
wOxxOm

Post by *wOxxOm »

Terminating dwm.exe process helps. It automatically restarts and the delay is gone.